Lobster Tails Apparently Gone on NCL

MATHA531

No longer super sized shrimp, and less per order than in the past....and no lobster.....only lobster linguine dish. Sorry to say....look for new menu

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I think you missed the part where they will be visiting Cagney's for their lobster tail and according to the NCL website, they still have lobster tail in Cagney's.

I agree, lets not get ridiculous. If I want to cruise for lobster, then I'll bloody well cruise for lobster. If I want to complain here because they no longer have lobster, then I'll bloody well complain about it. You don't have a right to brow beat me or anyone else for those decisions. Pretty much the end of that discussion.

I don’t see the need for raising your voice. I get that when you feel you're entitled to something, you feel your entitled to something. It’s obvious you’re missing the point though.

If you want to cruise for lobster, go ahead. If you want to complain about something that you’re not getting but feel entitled to just because they used to provide it, go ahead. If you wish, you can even complain about the price of gasoline no longer being 60 cents a gallon. For my part, I will order what's on the menu and not complain about what's not on the menu. And maybe, I will pay the extra $10 and get the lobster from Cagney's.

I sincerely hope you’re endeavours are successful. I like lobster and cheap gas as well.

If nothing else, at least we agree that this conversation is at an end.

I think you missed the part where they will be visiting Cagney's for their lobster tail and according to the NCL website, they still have lobster tail in Cagney's.

Sorry but not on the new menu...

Lobster Tail and Shrimp* linguine | Snow peas | sauce Américaine

Believe me...it's not a lobster tail. Just some meat and shrimp IN linguine...and not that good

Safe sailing

No longer super sized shrimp, and less per order than in the past....and no lobster.....only lobster linguine dish. Sorry to say....look for new menu

Safe sailing

Sorry but not on the new menu...

Lobster Tail and Shrimp* linguine | Snow peas | sauce Américaine

Believe me...it's not a lobster tail. Just some meat and shrimp IN linguine...and not that good

Safe sailing

Umm......FYI - here is a photo of the "Lobster Tail and Shrimp Linguine" entree from Cagney's. :cool:

IMG_6810_zpsfb073bb9.jpg.270a5bfefcb4b8a30a46ecadccf69a18.jpg

Umm......FYI - here is a photo of the "Lobster Tail and Shrimp Linguine" entree from Cagney's. :cool:

Ours did not look like that!! We just had lobster meat. Guess we lost out...

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe

There are the lobsters served at the MDR for my back to back Alaska cruise at Sun last June 23.

The single piece was served June 23 at the MDR, which is the first night. I ordered only one piece and requested steak to be removed as I had the ultimate dining package so had to leave some room for the specialty resto.

The 2 pieces with steak was served July 1 at the MDR on my 2nd leg. I just came from the gym, was hungry so I ordered extra one and retained the steak.

As you see from the pictures, the lobsters served at the MDR are really in high quality

01.jpg.3696ee2578a609fd5a96e31e9521d773.jpg

DSC01652.jpg.e2832da12e44aeffa17e69ebd25feab1.jpg

Edited by roquejo

Those lobster above are so good that I approached the food and restaurant manager and complimented the chef.

The last 2 times I had lobsters at MDR, in RCCL's Allure of the Seas last Nov 2013, and HAL's Volendam last Sept, 2012. Both are bland and tasteless and felt like I was chewing on rubber.

On my next cruise with RCCL in 3 weeks time with Voyager of the Seas, I am resigned to not having lobster. On all Asia sailings of RCCL, lobsters are no longer free in the MDR. It is in the menu all the time, Maine lobster with steak surf and turf but you have to pay $35 premium price if you want to order it. It has the same setup with Mariner of the Seas I took last Sept 2013.

I just saw as of 12/31/14 they will no longer be serving the mushroom soup from Le Bistro. You can count me out if that happens:rolleyes:

.....your going to ruin my whole cruise. I just had everything figured out (click me) and now you tell me this? I know it won't be happening for our cruise but if the Queen finds out, one never knows what might happen.

:eek:

wasiii

Edited by wasiii

.....your going to ruin my whole cruise. I just had everything figured out (click me) and now you tell me this? I know it won't be happening for our cruise but if the Queen finds out, one never knows what might happen.

:eek:

wasiii

I hope you realize I was joking;)

Instead of seeing this as "continued contempt for its passengers" I see this as "continuing to find ways to control overall costs to keep fares low".

That's the same line of reasoning Carnival Cruisers have been making for years with Carnival. Now there's a line that continues to cut and count pennies. I swear, they could cut out room attendants and ask passengers to clean their own room and the Carnival cheerleaders would say its helping keep prices down so why not. Now, I don't put NCL in the same league as Carnival which has become the Motel 8 of the cruise industry. NCL isn't there but I don't think its healthy to defend every cut as helping keep prices down. On Carnival it has served to cheapen the product. No more tablecloths in the dining room is a prime example. Many said it was no big deal but if I want to eat at the Ground Round then I'll go there.

Anyway, reasoning that cuts are ok because they keep prices down is a slippery slope. Its a foot in the door. Sometimes we're all too easy to please and we don't see the wool being pulled over our eyes.

That's the same line of reasoning Carnival Cruisers have been making for years with Carnival. Now there's a line that continues to cut and count pennies. I swear, they could cut out room attendants and ask passengers to clean their own room and the Carnival cheerleaders would say its helping keep prices down so why not. Now, I don't put NCL in the same league as Carnival which has become the Motel 8 of the cruise industry. NCL isn't there but I don't think its healthy to defend every cut as helping keep prices down. On Carnival it has served to cheapen the product. No more tablecloths in the dining room is a prime example. Many said it was no big deal but if I want to eat at the Ground Round then I'll go there.

Anyway, reasoning that cuts are ok because they keep prices down is a slippery slope. Its a foot in the door. Sometimes we're all too easy to please and we don't see the wool being pulled over our eyes.

I look at cuts differently I guess. To me, if the cut doesn't directly impact my enjoyment of the cruise then I don't care about it as much. So, cutting lobster, okay, fine, I love lobster but not having it one night isn't going to make or break my cruise. Cutting room attendants would be a different matter. Tablecloths, not that big a deal. If they took away the tables, then I'd be unhappy;). I still don't see it as "contempt for the passenger".

But then again, this is hardly unique to the cruise industry. Take the airlines. For my Alaska cruise, I flew Delta JFK-YYZ-YVR to pick up the cruise in Vancouver (YYZ=YVR, Toronto to Vancouver was a code share and actually flew Westjet,a Canadian carrier_. Return was all on Delta, ANC-SEA-JFK. Since I have a Delta Amex card, no charge of $25 for checking bags (interesting now a lot of people don't check their bags, wait for the annoucement at the gate that the flight is full and they will check bags for free a nice dodge_. So with the exception of NYC to Toronto, long flights. Would you think a meal would be served? Of course not. You want food, you pay (yes they have beverage service and free sodas with "snacks" such as pretzels, peanuts, sesame sticks on the Canadian flight. It won't be long before they charge for sodas. Nickel and diming is the name of the game. They monhitor this. Day time activities. Try our Bingo. Or the instant lottery strips. Or beer tasting. Or wine tasting. Of course nominal charges apply. The cost of the cabin is kept low to get passenger onto the ship and then it's fair game. The American ingenuity for doing things.

I expect lobstrer to come back to the MDR's at some time in the future...with a $15 supplement and being told see we lisgtened. You want it, you pay for it.

Not whining or complaining. That's simply the ay it is in our profit seeking capitalistic society.

But then again, this is hardly unique to the cruise industry. Take the airlines. For my Alaska cruise, I flew Delta JFK-YYZ-YVR to pick up the cruise in Vancouver (YYZ=YVR, Toronto to Vancouver was a code share and actually flew Westjet,a Canadian carrier_. Return was all on Delta, ANC-SEA-JFK. Since I have a Delta Amex card, no charge of $25 for checking bags (interesting now a lot of people don't check their bags, wait for the annoucement at the gate that the flight is full and they will check bags for free a nice dodge_. So with the exception of NYC to Toronto, long flights. Would you think a meal would be served? Of course not. You want food, you pay (yes they have beverage service and free sodas with "snacks" such as pretzels, peanuts, sesame sticks on the Canadian flight. It won't be long before they charge for sodas. Nickel and diming is the name of the game. They monhitor this. Day time activities. Try our Bingo. Or the instant lottery strips. Or beer tasting. Or wine tasting. Of course nominal charges apply. The cost of the cabin is kept low to get passenger onto the ship and then it's fair game. The American ingenuity for doing things.

I expect lobstrer to come back to the MDR's at some time in the future...with a $15 supplement and being told see we lisgtened. You want it, you pay for it.

Not whining or complaining. That's simply the ay it is in our profit seeking capitalistic society.

Sad...but VERY true! :cool:

Very happy to report, while I can only speak from my experience; the Lobster Pasta on Monday, August 18th (port side of the buffet) had VERY large chunks of lobster in it. I didn't go digging for the lobster either, I took two scoops of the pasta and had at least 8 lobster chunks. There was more lobster than there was shrimp in my portion and it was actually very good imho. Perhaps NCL has listened to all the guests who sailed before me, or perhaps I just got plain lucky.

In addition to Lobster during seafood night at the buffet on Monday, I had lobster fettuccini at the Italian restaurant, lobster tail at Cagneys, Lobster tail in a white sauce at LeBistro (they would have made it plain and broilded also), Lobster and scallops in Teppanaki, and Lobster in a puff pastry with scallops and shrimp at LeBistro. We chose to go with the UDP based on recent reviews of poor food quality and service in the main dining rooms and are VERY happy with our decision. If you're looking for lobster, UDP will provide ample opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
You can add it to your dinner in Cagneys and Le bistro!!! Even get a lobster omelette in Cagneys for breakfast. Need to be in a suite for breakfast and lunch for Cagneys.

Sent from my iPhone 5s

I'm going to have to try that. Sounds delish!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Sun, Alaska Cruise. I can confirm, no lobster tails any night, we ate in the MDR every dinner, Four Seasons, Seven Seas 3 nights, then Four Seasons 3 nights.

While I realize it is not just cruises and not just NCL, the nickle and diming is getting ridiculous. Along with the fact that the "additional charges" for things are outrageous. I would think they'd be better off making the "additional charges" real cheap, to elicit an attitude of, "it's such a small amt, no big deal". For example, $1 sodas and $2 alcohol drinks.

Many things don't make sense. For example, they charge extra for soda, but you can get milk for free, (in little half-pint containers with room service). It's nearly universal that the cost of a fountain soda pales in comparison to an equal amount of milk. Yet there it is, free milk, pay for soda that costs the cruise line next to nothing.

Glad I brought a 12 pack of Coke and 3 rum runners with a total of 32 oz of silver rum.

The ship pictures, which were numerous, (seems they wanted to take your picture everywhere), (going to the toilet, let's snap a photo). Anyway, cheapest were $12.95, most were $19.95. These can't be worth much in actual costs, as they print thousands of them, with most being thrown out. Drop the prices to $4.95 and $9.95 and I bet they'd sell a lot more than they throw out.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

Just back from the Sun, Alaska Cruise. I can confirm, no lobster tails any night, we ate in the MDR every dinner, Four Seasons, Seven Seas 3 nights, then Four Seasons 3 nights.

While I realize it is not just cruises and not just NCL, the nickle and diming is getting ridiculous. Along with the fact that the "additional charges" for things are outrageous. I would think they'd be better off making the "additional charges" real cheap, to elicit an attitude of, "it's such a small amt, no big deal". For example, $1 sodas and $2 alcohol drinks.

Many things don't make sense. For example, they charge extra for soda, but you can get milk for free, (in little half-pint containers with room service). It's nearly universal that the cost of a fountain soda pales in comparison to an equal amount of milk. Yet there it is, free milk, pay for soda that costs the cruise line next to nothing.

Glad I brought a 12 pack of Coke and 3 rum runners with a total of 32 oz of silver rum.

The ship pictures, which were numerous, (seems they wanted to take your picture everywhere), (going to the toilet, let's snap a photo). Anyway, cheapest were $12.95, most were $19.95. These can't be worth much in actual costs, as they print thousands of them, with most being thrown out. Drop the prices to $4.95 and $9.95 and I bet they'd sell a lot more than they throw out.

It's all about profit and what the market will bear. Yes, the soda costs them next to nothing, so it's all profit. If you watch "Cruise, Inc." you will find out that NCL relies heavily on bar sales to turn a profit on each sailing. They obviously sell enough photos at the current price point to make that profitable, so they aren't going to try to fix what isn't broken.

I always felt like the lobster tails were tough, and the size of a jumbo shrimp. I won't miss them. They don't make or break a cruise for me. I can go to City Island and get a whole lobster, freshly steamed, and it tastes much better than any lobster I ever had on a cruise.

I also don't understand why so many people complain that NCL nickels and dimes everyone. I'm happy to pay a lower cruise fare and choose how to spend my money onboard, rather than pay a lot more for other people to be able to have those things for "free" when I'm not even utilizing them. I think a lot of people just like the concept of "all -inclusive" because they feel like everything is "free".