USAA Travel Insurance

jmdx2

Has anyone had any experience with them I purchased a plan with them for my Oasis 9/10 sailing and I feel like I'm either getting the run around or no one can answer any questions. I hate to cancel to file the claim and loose the voucher too (they've told me 6 different things). Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a special forum here for travel insurance questions. This is where you should ask your question.

Cruise/Travel Insurance

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=24703&share_sfid=635&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Ecruisecritic%2Ecom%2Fforumdisplay%2Ephp%3F635&share_type=sf

With that said:

I use USAA's outside travel insurance partner is Alliance Global. They will provide you a quote and what it covers. I've never had to file a claim, but I like the rates and coverage

Cheers

Tom

Has anyone had any experience with them I purchased a plan with them for my Oasis 9/10 sailing and I feel like I'm either getting the run around or no one can answer any questions. I hate to cancel to file the claim and loose the voucher too (they've told me 6 different things). Any advice is appreciated.

Are you trying to cancel to get a refund through insurance AND get a voucher from RCL for the future sailing? You won't be able to do that...it's double-dipping.

That being said, I always purchase my travel insurance through USAA. (I've been a USAA member for almost 40 years). Have never needed to make a claim.

Are you trying to cancel to get a refund through insurance AND get a voucher from RCL for the future sailing? You won't be able to do that...it's double-dipping.

That being said, I always purchase my travel insurance through USAA. (I've been a USAA member for almost 40 years). Have never needed to make a claim.

No I was just trying to cancel and get reimbursed. I've talked to four different people, two of them twice and got all different stories. Port Canaveral closed and was under mandatory evacuation so I think I'm good there. They have also moved cruise to Wednesday- one of the reps thought that might work for "cessation of services". Just want to make sure before I cancel cruise and loose option for voucher but the Port hasn't even reopened so I'd rather just have a refund at this point.

If you are offered a full voucher, your travel insurance may not apply. It depends on which level you purchased.

We always get usaa travel insurance, it has more than paid for it's self and the process was super easy. Didn't have to ask anyone, just printed claim and filed. I'm thinking you didn't buy the 'cancel for any reason' ?

If you are offered a full voucher, your travel insurance may not apply. It depends on which level you purchased.

We always get usaa travel insurance, it has more than paid for it's self and the process was super easy. Didn't have to ask anyone, just printed claim and filed. I'm thinking you didn't buy the 'cancel for any reason' ?

Nope. Bought the second level bc of course "nothing was going to happen". [emoji6] might be better off taking the voucher than risking it I guess.

We always purchase travel insurance thru USAA - they partner with Travel Insured Int'l. If I had questions concerning my coverage, I would not be asking it here -- I would call them direct and ask what your options are.

My understanding was that if you cancel you receive a future cruise credit for 100% of the cruise fare.

If you sail you get 50% refund as obc and 50% cruise credit.

I don't think you lose the voucher if you cancel.

This. You don't get paid twice. You can't receive a cruise line voucher AND get reimbursed from your travel insurance.

I'm not trying to get paid twice. To be honest I don't really want the voucher at all, just my $$ back. I was just asking about experiences with the insurance company because I keep getting told different things. I just don't want to mess up my potential claim.

I'm not trying to get paid twice. To be honest I don't really want the voucher at all, just my $$ back. I was just asking about experiences with the insurance company because I keep getting told different things. I just don't want to mess up my potential claim.

I have 2 experiences with them. Once had to cancel cruise after final payment because of a death in the family. They promptly paid. After that I only purchase emergency evacuation, and everything else except trip reimbursement. That makes it more affordable.

Second time this past year my wife had to go to the Dr. in Portugal. They paid for both Dr. visit and prescriptions.

The experiences other people may have had have no relevance to your experience.

If you've already called the insurance company and identified yourself, I guarantee they already have notes about your conversations.

Are you just asking if you have a choice between getting your money back through insurance, or accepting the cruise line voucher?

I don't know. Sounds as if you're going to have to file a claim to find out. I don't know what your policy says, but suspect the insurance company may not give you a choice.

The experiences other people may have had have no relevance to your experience.

If you've already called the insurance company and identified yourself, I guarantee they already have notes about your conversations.

Are you just asking if you have a choice between getting your money back through insurance, or accepting the cruise line voucher?

I don't know. Sounds as if you're going to have to file a claim to find out. I don't know what your policy says, but suspect the insurance company may not give you a choice.

So my assumption was that this was a chat board that we could reach out to others you may have experience and get advice. If you don't have an experience or something helpful to share then you don't need to participate. I have called and been given six different ways to handle.

You've received advice; you just don't like it.

If you can't get the information you are seeking directly from your insurance company, why would you think you can receive correct information from strangers who know nothing about the terms of your policy?

You've called 6 times and I'm guessing gotten 6 answers you didn't want to hear.

Since the ship is sailing, you cannot just cancel and expect the insurance company to pay. The trip must be completely cancelled by the provider in order to be reimbursed.

As Royal Caribbean has announced they are refunding passengers 100% of their fare as a future cruise credit, your insurance company will not reimburse you anything should you choose not to sail. Even if you don't want the FCC, in the insurance company's mind that is reimbursement. Even if you had "cancel for any reason", they would not pay in this situation (as an aside, the "cancel for any reason" provision should you purchase insurance through Royal Caribbean reimburses you in the form of FCC, not cash). Also "cancel for any reason" policies generally have limitations, often you must cancel prior to 48 hours before your trip.

You've called 6 times and I'm guessing gotten 6 answers you didn't want to hear.

Since the ship is sailing, you cannot just cancel and expect the insurance company to pay. The trip must be completely cancelled by the provider in order to be reimbursed.

As Royal Caribbean has announced they are refunding passengers 100% of their fare

Correct, thanks for explaining this so well.

Have used it many times and had to use it twice...cancellation due to health and trip delay due to missed airline connection. Good service. Just used it again to "cancel for any reason" with 75% reimbursement on 9/16 LOS cruise out of Galveston due to hurricane in itinerary area, physician initiated change in date of spouse medical procedure 2 days before sailing. I hope "cancel for any reason" means any reason so long as you meet their 48 hour advance notice period.

I hope "cancel for any reason" means any reason so long as you meet their 48 hour advance notice period.

It does sort of. A covered event is reimbursed 100% cash refund or at least that's how it worked for us with a death in the family three days from sailing.

Last year, I had to "cancel for any reason" due to one person in our group losing his job and starting a new one. I canceled at 15 days prior to sailing. I got 25% back in cash from RCCL. I then applied to RCCL's insurance who rejected the claim due to not being a covered event. I then went back to RCCL who issued me a Future Cruise Certificate for 75% of the fare balance. The FCC had to be used within one year of cancellation. Bottom line I was out about 25%.

RCCL was very good at explaining the process and that the insurance was going to reject the claim. Also, this is not a quick process it took me at least three months before I had my FCC. BTW: FCC are issued in the names of the PAX not in the name of who paid. They also can't be used for deposit on final payment.

I've nothing to add here but that I have been a USAA member since I started driving very long ago, we have homeowners, auto, personal property, have had renters and other insurances in the past with them and I feel really dumb that I never thought about them for travel insurance, glad I saw this thread! We've used another company that we've been happy with but we've also been very happy with USAA for everything else. Thanks!

I've purchased travel insurance through USAA exactly once for a cruise. After receiving short notice orders to Iraq and subsequent required training beforehand that forced the cancellation of a cruise, they refused to reimburse any of my fare, stating that a 'work-related' cancellation wasn't covered. But they were kind enough to refund what I paid for the insurance. :rolleyes: Luckily, American Airlines and Carnival were gracious enough to refund my non-refundable tickets and cruise fare upon receipt of proof that I was deploying. While I have had excellent experiences with every other USAA product, their travel insurance was terrible. My experience only.

I've nothing to add here but that I have been a USAA member since I started driving very long ago, we have homeowners, auto, personal property, have had renters and other insurances in the past with them and I feel really dumb that I never thought about them for travel insurance, glad I saw this thread! We've used another company that we've been happy with but we've also been very happy with USAA for everything else. Thanks!

Same with us. Never knew they offered travel insurance but will look into it the next time we cruise.

Karen

From personal experience with the insurance provided through USAA I found it to be a simple process. I would suggest to the poster to keep names of whom you spoke with and if possible talk to the same agent. If he or she cannot answer your questions bump it up to someone who can but again get names. It does help if there is a problem down the road.

The best thing you can do in the interim is read the policy you purchased which will have answers to a lot of your questions.

If you have the option of either cruise certificates or cash refund take the refund that way you can use the money any way you see fit. Certificates are issued in the names of the passengers and only good for their fares at a later date.

I've purchased travel insurance through USAA exactly once for a cruise. After receiving short notice orders to Iraq and subsequent required training beforehand that forced the cancellation of a cruise, they refused to reimburse any of my fare, stating that a 'work-related' cancellation wasn't covered. But they were kind enough to refund what I paid for the insurance. :rolleyes:

I respect that you feel the way you do about your travel insurance experience, but I don't agree with it. Insurance is a business filled with contracts. One buys an insurance policy that lists, often in excruciating detail, the coverages.

I just checked my latest Travel Insured policy (provided through USAA's online link), and there is something close, but it doesn't match your circumstances:

"Other Covered Reasons" means:

e. a permanent transfer of employment of 250 miles or more by You or Your Traveling Companion by the employer from whom You or Your Traveling Companion are employed on Your Effective Date which requires Your or Your Traveling Companion’s principal residence to be relocated;

I guess where I disagree is that I don't believe that a company with whom I'm doing business, and such business is dictated by the terms of a contract to which I've agreed, needs to provide services outside of the terms of that contract. They are under no obligation to do so, and I have no expectation that they will.

Now, back to the OP, last year I had a positive experience with Travel Insured. My son needed medical treatment aboard a ship that totaled nearly $5,000. Once I sent all the necessary paperwork documenting the claim, they promptly sent a check for the full amount. I was very pleased by that experience as I had feared it would have been much more difficult.