Breakaway - limited professional entertainment

heathermiller86nj

Hi,

We are considering a cruise on the Breakaway in December.

After reviewing some Freestyle Dailies, I was very surprised to see very little professional entertainment and am now hesitant on booking a cruise compared to the Anthem of the Seas. On that Royal Caribbean cruise, we had - 3 house bands + soloists, 3 production shows, 2 comedy shows with two different comedians, cover band (Led Zeplin for our cruise) and a vantriloqust.

It looks like there are a ton of game shows and dance parties each night with a DJ. But we look forward to a different professional form of entertainment each night. On Royal Caribbean, we've looked forward 2-3 production shows (on Breakaway it looks like Burn the Floor and Rock of Ages). For the other 5 nights of a 7 night cruise, there are usually 3 fly-on acts - juggler, vantriloquist, cover band in the main theater (besides the regular house bands throughout the ship).

On our last NCL cruise 7 years ago aboard the NCL Dawn, we enjoyed a magician and hypnotist.

On Breakaway it doesn't look like there are fly-on type forms of professional entertainment. Aside from the deck parties and live music (dueling pianos) that we like to do after a professional show, are there any special forms of entertainment unique to each cruise on the Breakaway? Eepecially for repeat cruisers to change things up, but also to do after dinner before the deck party, dueling pianos or nightclub.

Second City and the Welcome Aboard show would fill 3 nights of unique entertainment, but what about the other 4 nights on a 7 night cruise? (I know Freestyle cruising doesn't align entertainment with particular nights, but just trying to see if there are other unique forms of inclusive entertainment on a 7 night cruise besides Second City and dueling pianos).

Thanks!

There was no lack of entertainment on my January cruise on the Breakaway....

In no particular order....Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, Welcome Show, Oh What A Night (Four Seasons Tribute), Cirque Dreams and Dinner Jungle Fantasy, The Second City, Charlie Love & The Silky Smooth Band in Fat Cats Club, Howl At The Moon dueling piano's, An evening with Broadway performer Carla Stickler (of Wicked), Brenda Kaye comedy hypnotist, Bud Andersen comedian,Greg Gleason magician, Harry O'Donoghue Irish Singer, Barry John comedy juggler, Wine Lover's The Musical....

Then, there was Guitar Melodies with Angel or Piano entertainment with Fouad Melki at Shakers, Music by Arvin & Emily in the Atrium, or their Neil Diamond Tribute in the Spiegel Tent, Poolside hits with The Tropical Four...

DJ Music and Karaoke at the Bliss disco....

And lots of theme parties at Spice H2O....70's Groove Dance Party, Norwegian NIght Out, Throwback 90's, Rock Night Live poolside concert, 50's and 60's Sock Hop, Caribbean Deck Party, Awesome 80's Party,...

And there were plenty of other activities and game shows.....

You won't be bored....;)

I sail the Breakaway a lot and I do agree with you. My biggest gripe is the demonstrations day after day. I do not go on a cruise to learn how to fold a towel or to learn how to decorate a cake. I have not bothered seeing Rock of Ages in years because the first time I saw in onboard it was like watching a really bad high school musical. I will say that my friends have said the show has gotten better but I will just take their word for it, I would not waste another 2 hours to judge that for myself.

I am looking forward to the Escape coming to NY so hopefully the shows will be better.

I agree there are fewer entertainers. Every ship has a pool band. Breakaway has just two venues for other entertainers - Atrium and Shakers.

My guess is this is a tradeoff for having 3 high end shows - Cirque, Burn the Floor, and Rock of Ages. These cost more than average and for some people this is a draw. Rock of Ages is 90% of the original broadway show and the actors and production staff needed to run a show like this is a lot more expensive than a solo or duo entertaining in a bar.

And just to offer a differing view, we are going on the Breakaway for a third time partly because we love Rock of Ages. For fans of Broadway shows and Rock n roll it's an amazing benefit.

On a 7 night (winter) cruise, is there any inclusive entertainment besides the two shows and the supplemental piano bar and second city.

Is there anything like a magician, tribute band or hypnotist? Cirque I know costs extra, so just wondering about other shows in the theater over the course of the other 5 nights.

On a 7 night (winter) cruise, is there any inclusive entertainment besides the two shows and the supplemental piano bar and second city.

Is there anything like a magician, tribute band or hypnotist? Cirque I know costs extra, so just wondering about other shows in the theater over the course of the other 5 nights.

Never seen a magician, and never a band venue other than the pool. They could do that on the Spice H2O deck but it is always a DJ there in my experience. Somewhere here is a post with all the dailies from a spring Bermuda 7 day cruise so you could see the layout of entertainment.

I forgot Fat Cats in my prior post. Jazz and Karaoke. Because I don't go there much.

On my other two 7 days cruises, there was a singer, from Broadway shows, and a farewell show which was a cobbled together series of acts from the singer, Burn the Floor, and other ship board talent.

Oh, and don't forget, Dan Dan sings. LOL.

I've been on BA 6 times, most recently last week. Contrary to what the previous poster said, I've seen bands perform many times in the Atrium. On some nights a band will perform and also a singing duo. For example last week the band was Essence, the duo was 24K and one, the other or both performed in the Atrium on many nights.

There are also multiple Second City shows in Headliners comedy club, as well Howl At The Moon dueling pianos in the same venue.

I've seen a magician in the main showroom as well as a Broadway singer perform there.

In addition to the Fat Cats Jazz and Blues Club...last week with Les Getrex and The Creole Cookin' Band, on most nights there is a pianist/singer in Shakers and a guitarist/singer in Maltings. Sometimes they interchange venues.

As my recap above clearly shows there are a lot of professional entertainers, with no charge and mostly no reservations needed to see them in addition to the main production shows. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed or has forgotten what is offered.

In six BA cruises we've never experienced a lack of professional entertainment...we have had more than enough to see every night, and the only we time we went to the two main production shows was on our first BA cruise. We've never even bothered to go to the Cirque show.

Edited by njhorseman

In six BA cruises we've never experienced a lack of professional entertainment...we have had more than enough to see every night, and the only we time we went to the two main production shows was on our first BA cruise. We've never even bothered to go to the Cirque show.

I've also never experienced a lack of professional entertainment on Breakaway. Rock of Ages may not be for everyone, but I enjoy it and have seen it many times both on the ship and on Broadway & in Vegas. Burn The Floor is excellent and performs multiple shows throughout the week in the main show room as well as in the Manhattan Room. While not a free show, Cirque Dreams & Jungle Fantasy is one of the best shows at sea. Second City and Howl at the Moon are both available at multiple times throughout the week. On Saturday night there is usually a Broadway singer (usually a former Wicked performer) or a Magic show. There's nightly entertainment practically everywhere all week plus bands playing Motown Tributes, Beatles tributes, etc.

Breakaway is definitely not a boring ship and has plenty of entertainment to choose from.