Stock Obc Not Combinable Anymore

jmezmom

We have a next cruise certificate and own the stock. I hope what you are saying is those are still combinable, or Ill be upset. Waste of time to do next cruise otherwise.

According to the new policy they would not be combinable; you would have to pick which one you wanted. I don't know if they are enforcing this strictly as of yet (it seems to be a very new policy).

I'ld be very surprised if this is enforced. My last six cruises were with onboard future bookings credit combined with my stockholder's OBC. Should this be true, along with the strong "Sell" advice from my financial planner, I would sell the stock and enter the cruise "free agency" and seriously look at other options besides RCCL. I'm a Diamond member with three next cruise certificates in hand, two for RCCL and one for Celebrity, and an AOS cruise booked for February '09. My loyalty has been significant, but after my last AOS cruise in August, any "touches of class" seem to be truly gone from the cruise experience at this level of mass market of travel.

Too bad, but it has been a good ride!

Agreed.

We also bought some next cruise certs. this month so we could secure the OBC and make our choices at home and also use our stock OBC.

Even in these tough tmes for the company messing with the benefits that owners of stock have come to use is risky.

If the stock is a strong sell and it is not doing well there may no longer be an incentive to keep it which further hurts the company.

The text reads: "Shareholder Onboard Credit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, 'dollars off' promotions and savings certificates."

That covers just about everything. "General loyalty offers" certainly could include balcony discounts.

If the stock is a strong sell and it is not doing well there may no longer be an incentive to keep it which further hurts the company.

I respectfully disagree. I think the Shareholder OBC perk was a very nice gesture by RCL, but one that cost them a lot of money. By preventing people from combining various discounts/OBC's (some people were amassing several hundred of OBC per cruise) I believe that their increased revenues will significantly surpass any losses they incur from people not cruising with them due to anger over this policy change.

Well, if the price increases to a level where I haven't lost a whole lot of money, I'll sell the stock.:(

If oil stays near $100 you may get that chance in late October. There likely would then be a run up either shortly before or after they announce 3rd quarter earnings as they likely could increase guidance for the 4th quarter as well as fiscal year '09.

Let's keep our fingers crossed oil can stay down a bit longer. :)

I'ld be very surprised if this is enforced. My last six cruises were with onboard future bookings credit combined with my stockholder's OBC. Should this be true, along with the strong "Sell" advice from my financial planner, I would sell the stock and enter the cruise "free agency" and seriously look at other options besides RCCL. I'm a Diamond member with three next cruise certificates in hand, two for RCCL and one for Celebrity, and an AOS cruise booked for February '09. My loyalty has been significant, but after my last AOS cruise in August, any "touches of class" seem to be truly gone from the cruise experience at this level of mass market of travel.

Too bad, but it has been a good ride!

This went into effect July 1, 2008.

Maybe the $14.95 steak was just a distraction....so they could sneak this under the radar. :rolleyes: The ability to combine my diamond balcony discount and stockholder credit influenced my choice to cruise (and be "loyal" to) RC...no doubt about it. Clearly this is of no concern to the RC execs. :(

It probably does include balcony discounts since they are offered through the Crown and Anchor "Loyalty" program!

They are not an offer, they are a benefit for being loyal. Offers apply to all or a subgroup ie. senior discounts

Interesting that RCI is cutting back on the combinability of benefits just as Princess is increasing them. If it went into effect on 7/1, they haven't been enforcing it - I was able to combine it with onboard booking and a special promotion on an Azamara cruise.

We have a number of combined benefits already in place through next November. I'm assuming that they won't withdraw already-promised OBCs.

One reason we've stayed loyal to Royal is that the benefits, when combined, drove the price of a cruise down to the point where it was competitive with Princess' offerings. If that's no longer the case, we will be looking harder at the competition, as the differences between the two lines are otherwise miniscule to us.

As capecodrealtor said, it was a nice run while it lasted.

Maybe the $14.95 steak was just a distraction....so they could sneak this under the radar. :rolleyes: The ability to combine my diamond balcony discount and stockholder credit influenced my choice to cruise (and be "loyal" to) RC...no doubt about it. Clearly this is of no concern to the RC execs. :(

Again, balcony discounts are benefits not offers.

If oil stays near $100 you may get that chance in late October. There likely would then be a run up either shortly before or after they announce 3rd quarter earnings as they likely could increase guidance for the 4th quarter as well as fiscal year '09.

Let's keep our fingers crossed oil can stay down a bit longer. :)

It would have to significantly increase to get my money back to even. Carnival stock on the other hand is holding up quite well. Go figure.

They are not an offer, they are a benefit for being loyal. Offers apply to all or a subgroup ie. senior discounts

that's not the way I read it:

6. Can this benefit be combined with other offers, onboard credits and coupons?Shareholder Onboard Credit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off” promotions and savings certificates. Guests have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer. The benefit is NOT available to company employees, travel agents, tour conductors and/or others utilizing complimentary or reduced-rate cruise fares.

Archived