Northern Lights

MsBST2

Have you ever seen the Northern Lights on an Alaska cruise? If so when did you cruise.

Thank you

Yes we did thanks to our adult kids that were up late and called our cabin. Captain was blowing the horn it was just after midnight on our early September cruise. RCI Radiance the last cruise of their season which was a roundtrip out of Vancouver. I think we were very lucky.

Our OP may find it helpful to check the aurora forecast section of the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute (http://www.auroraforecast.gi.alaska.edu). Look at the right side of the index page and open the tab for "viewing the aurora in Northern Summer." That will tell you what your chances are depending on location and the index level for aurora activity.

That being said, several years ago a young woman posted a trip review of an Alaska cruise which she and her sister did. They were on the last sailing of the season on a line I have never been on (I can't remember if it was Carnival or NCL). Her review had some photos of an aurora taken from the ship, and quite frankly I was surprised at the quality of the photos.

You can see the northern lights just about any time of year, it all depends on the solar activity. Unfortunately, during summer months, the sun stays up until very late, and almost 24 hour sun in mid summer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Our OP may find it helpful to check the aurora forecast section of the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute (www.auroraforecast.gi.alaska.edu). Look at the right side of the index page and open the tab for "viewing the aurora in Northern Summer." That will tell you what your chances are depending on location and the index level for aurora activity.

That being said, several years ago a young woman posted a trip review of an Alaska cruise which she and her sister did. They were on the last sailing of the season on a line I have never been on (I can't remember if it was Carnival or NCL). Her review had some photos of an aurora taken from the ship, and quite frankly I was surprised at the quality of the photos.

Tried the website but doesn't seem to exist.

Heaven knows why it didn't open for you. Try the basic Geophysical Institute website: http://www.gi.alaska.edu

There is a tab for aurora viewing. From there check both the "Traveler's Guide to the Aurora" and also "Viewing the Aurora in the Northern Summer."

A couple years ago in the 2nd week of May, after our Glacier Bay day, they announced that the Northern Lights might be visible that night between midnight and about 3 AM. I set my alarm to wake up and look. I walked from one end of the ship to the other and tried various decks but saw nothing. It was a very clear night but the problem seemed to be that the ship is SOOOO lit that I couldn't even see the stars that much. I gave up and went back to bed. ;p

They can only be seen in September..... There is a slight chance in SE Alaska in very early May. Otherwise, it just doesn't get dark enough.

We saw them from a ship in late May. Was around 2:00 am and was dark enough.

The link didn't work for me. I typed the address without the www and then it worked. Who knows why. Thank you Maine76 for providing the site info!

Heaven knows why it didn't open for you. Try the basic Geophysical Institute website: www.gi.alaska.edu

There is a tab for aurora viewing. From there check both the "Traveler's Guide to the Aurora" and also "Viewing the Aurora in the Northern Summer."

I have this bookmarked on my phone for our cruise. I am hoping that I may get a glimpse during our post land tour. It will be about 17 hours of daylight when we are there so I am not holding my breath but I do hope we are pleasantly surprised!

Heaven knows why it didn't open for you. Try the basic Geophysical Institute website: www.gi.alaska.edu

Wow- from that map I am really wishing our cruise was a week earlier! Looks like there may be a chance seeing the Northern Lights in early May as far south as Juneau.