Private Tour of Rome & Colosseum Recommendations

Caribbean Buckeye

I know all of this can be searched in the forums but many of the posts are dated. I have found that some tour recommendations no longer exist or specific tour guides have changed.

We are going to be in Rome for a few days this Summer. We have a group of about 12 who wants to see the major attractions over a couple of days. We also want to skip the lines at the Vatican and anywhere else this is an issue. I like the idea of seeing the Colosseum at night to avoid the crowds but I'm worried it will be too dark to take good pictures. With all that in mind, here are my questions.

1) Can anyone recommend a good English-speaking tour guide in Rome who can help us skip the lines?

2) Would you recommend seeing the Colosseum at night or during the day?

Thank you!

I highly recommend Fabrizio at All Around Italy http://www.allarounditaly.net. We have used him twice in the past and will be using him again in 2019. He lives in Rome, but see his website - offers tours to other destinations in Italy from either Rome or at the cruise ports. He is so funny but also passionate about Italy and a wonderful guide. By law he can only have 8 persons in one van, but he has several drivers, so you may need to check with him, but you could be together but in separate vehicles. If you email him he will respond within a day. He also just gave me great hotel recommendations for when I am staying in Rome.

Good morning, the first time I visited Rome was in 2012 and I still recommend the tourguide who helped me. The company is called A FRIEND IN ROME.......the gal I toured with was Sylvia. We went together, yes, I took a private tour with her....it was a bit pricey but worth every penney!

Actually, I will be cruising from Venice to Nice this summer with Rome as a day stop........I might be contacting her again,

6 years later;)

Here is a link

http://afriendinrome.it/

I have no tour guide to offer but from someone who has been photographing the ancient Roman sites in Rome for the past dozen years or so, you'll get much better and more interesting photos during the day. The light is especially good closer to the end of the day (near sunset).

We had a great tour of the Vatican Museum in October with Marisa Ficorella of Rome with Marisa. She helped us with early entry tickets to the Museum so that we were practically the only people there. I've been to the Museum several times before with and without guides. This was the best experience at the Museum I have ever had. Excellent guide and very reasonable. She also does tours of St. Peter's Basilica, Colosseum/Forum and other sites of Rome. We were only able to do the Museum with her because she was booked when we could do the others.

Rick

My recommendation is WWW.ROMEINLIMO.COM We used them before and are going to use them again this October. Check out their website - you won't be disappointed.

I also recommend Rome in Limo. We used them for tours and transportation from airport and hotel to pier. Excellent service and would

certainly use them again.

When we were in Rome, we did tours with Walks of Italy—underground colosseum tour and the pristine Sistine tour of the Vatican and St. Peter’s.

Both tours were excellent—our tour was “public” but there were only about 12 people total.

I would definitely tour the colosseum in the day and then can return to view the outside in the dark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be using Rome Cabs. If you are staying in Rome they will pick you up at your hotel, they have many different tours to choose from. We are also using them for our transfers to and from port with a stop at Ostia Antica on our way to our airport hotel post cruise.