Explore 4 Complimentary Signature Beverage Package

Marie50

Can someone who has been on a cruise with this benefit tell me, is the 15 beverage maximum per day for per person or for a couple (2 persons). Very confusing and I am getting different information from different locations. Best ask someone who has dealt with it directly. Thanks.

Can someone who has been on a cruise with this benefit tell me, is the 15 beverage maximum per day for per person or for a couple (2 persons). Very confusing and I am getting different information from different locations. Best ask someone who has dealt with it directly. Thanks.

I'll confirm that from Indy, one package pp, max of 15 drinks per day less than I believe $8 including water and specialty coffees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The $8 limit is based on the menu price of the drink. As an example, Maker's Mark lists for $7.95 on the menu. It's covered, including the 15% service charge. (The full price, if you were paying yourself, would be $9.14.)

The clock starts overnight and you start with a fresh 15 the next day.

For us, the SBP was a good deal, no matter if you buy it or get it "free" with Explore-4. The breakeven point is about 7 drinks, over that, you are drinking free. Yes, you can order doubles of any cocktail, but it will count as 2 drinks out of your 15. Water, sodas, and specialty coffees also count towards your daily 15. The limit is $8.00 per drink, and don't concern yourself about the service charge of 15%. With Explore-4, the service charge is covered. Same if you buy the package. Just look at the drinks menu, and order anything under $8 and it will be included. HAL has started an Elite Beverage package, for $10 a day more. You can order drinks up to $15, menu price. But I'm not sure if you can pay the extra to upgrade an Explore-4 provided SBP. That would have to be discussed once onboard.

This thread is the closest to my questions:

I am finding ONLY the Signature package listed now on the website (at least under our own booking numbers for our 2 upcoming cruises, Carib. in Dec. and Europe in Oct). So:

1. Is that the only cocktail/wine beverage package available now? As of today, I cannot find the Elite package listed under the beverage packages. I see others below have referred to another liquor package that is apparently cheaper--not beer...

2. If we want a premium liquor in a drink or a premium glass of wine, do we simply pay the difference (say $1-2 for a $9-10 beverage)? Or do we have to pay the regular full price for the drink?

Thanks!

Edited by sofietucker

If we want a premium liquor in a drink or a premium glass of wine, do we simply pay the difference (say $1-2 for a $9-10 beverage)? Or do we have to pay the regular full price for the drink?

Thanks!

From what I understand you cannot simply pay the difference in the price. You will be charged the full price for a drink that is over $8

I am finding ONLY the Signature package listed now on the website (at least under our own booking numbers for our 2 upcoming cruises, Carib. in Dec. and Europe in Oct). So:

1. Is that the only cocktail/wine beverage package available now? As of today, I cannot find the Elite package listed under the beverage packages. I see others below have referred to another liquor package that is apparently cheaper--not beer...

2. If we want a premium liquor in a drink or a premium glass of wine, do we simply pay the difference (say $1-2 for a $9-10 beverage)? Or do we have to pay the regular full price for the drink?

Thanks!

BEFORE YOU PANIC....

Odds are that you'll find most of your drink choices are covered under the $8 limit. The exceptions would be if you drank only Champagne or high end liquors. Like if you can't live without Patron Anejo, Remy XO, or single malt Scotch whisky. HAL's drink prices are pretty reasonable compared to a number of other lines. I've seen some where you can't even get a Blue Moon without a premium package.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AFg_FxOGUN9PE4QKOs1LJmhSwjECwymgoOw/

If it's under $8 on the menu above, you're golden. If you drink wine exclusively, your choices are somewhat limited. The wines are fine, but there isn't a huge selection.

You cannot pay the difference.

Edited by POA1

Is bottled water covered by the Explore 4?

Yes. There are no bottled water choices that aren't covered. Still, sparkling, big nor small.

Edited by POA1

BEFORE YOU PANIC....

Odds are that you'll find most of your drink choices are covered under the $8 limit. The exceptions would be if you drank only Champagne or high end liquors. Like if you can't live without Patron Anejo, Remy XO, or single malt Scotch whisky. HAL's drink prices are pretty reasonable compared to a number of other lines. I've seen some where you can't even get a Blue Moon without a premium package.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AFg_FxOGUN9PE4QKOs1LJmhSwjECwymgoOw/

If it's under $8 on the menu above, you're golden. If you drink wine exclusively, your choices are somewhat limited. The wines are fine, but there isn't a huge selection.

You cannot pay the difference.

What wines would you recommend that are included. A white (not a blanc) and dry red (cab?)

Any thoughts on if and when the explore 4 promotion will return?

The past couple of years, E4 has been available from late June/early July to the end of October/mid November.

If you're mostly interested in the "complimentary" Signature Beverage Package, then there have, on occasion, been other promotions featuring the SBP.

Just watch your pricing before and after the promotion is announced. For some itineraries, the pricing may drop but my experience has been that they have increased substantially making the "complimentary" promotion not so complimentary.;)

I just called Seattle and was told that I could not upgrade my SBP to Elite because I am receiving it as part of my Explore4 promotion. Has anyone else experienced this obstacle?

Yes indeed. We ran into the exact same situation on the Eurodam last month. I just kept asking people until I got the answer I wanted. It took several attempts, but we were able to purchase the upgrade on the first day. Pretend that you're a little kid and keep asking the adults until you get the answer you want.

Having said that, I would not count on being able to upgrade, so be ready with a Plan B. The biggest limitation is going to be in your wine selections, so you can always fill in around the edges with a couple bottles of wine or a package of wine bottles.

Here's an explanation of the BarAlgebra I did for someone in a similar situation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51948051&postcount=562

What wines would you recommend that are included. A white (not a blanc) and dry red (cab?)

Here's a list of all the wines by the glass from the Eurodam a few weeks ago, along with the prices and ratings from actual wine publications:

http://www.evernote.com/l/AFjO4s9zhRBIEqQyc98MV9eRomI9wpGkhzE/

I don't know what your personal wine preference profile is, but if you are looking for a Chardonnay, the Goose Ridge and the Santa Carolina are fine. (If you have the EBP and you want an oak bomb, try the Chateau Ste. Michelle "Mimi." If you don't know what an oak bomb is, ignore this advice.)

If you want something sweeter, the Snoqualmie Riesling should do the trick. Finally, if you like Pinot Grigio, you can select the Zonin. There is also a perfectly acceptable Sauvignon Blanc from Caliterra, but you asked for something other than a "blanc," so I assume you want anything but.

In reds, the Santa Carolina Cabernet is probably your best bet. You can also choose their Merlot is you want something with a more supple mouth feel. There's also a Pacific Bay Cab Sauv, but we didn't try it. (Blame the 7 day cruise.) If you need stand in for a Pinot Noir, your only choice is the Black Opal Shiraz. (It was DFIL's favorite.)

If you are not in danger of exceeding the 15 drink limit, you can always order several wines and taste them all to see what you'd like best. As long as there are two of you, you can bang that out in one sitting, as each person orders different wines. You then sip and switch to taste your partner's wine.

It's best to do this at a shared table. You'll probably scare your table mates off. Or, you'll give them stories to tell about the lushes who ordered every wine on the menu. :D

I have the E4 included a booking I made at the last minute in November directly with HA. It was a rather quick booking because both I the agent didn't have much time to clear up a few options. Refundable deposit so it wasn't a big deal.

I'm going to go over it again with her, I also have 2 quotes from online agents.

The E4 is not a perk for me. Neither my wife nor I drink alcohol. She usually drinks water, and occasionally ice tea. I drink soft drinks usually. But not enough to make a package worthwhile. We cruise to get away and the likelihood of traveling with someone as a 3/4 in our cabin is about as likely as the Captain taking an inside cabin for a cruise while I used his cabin.

I have the E4 included a booking I made at the last minute in November directly with HA. It was a rather quick booking because both I the agent didn't have much time to clear up a few options. Refundable deposit so it wasn't a big deal.

I'm going to go over it again with her, I also have 2 quotes from online agents.

The E4 is not a perk for me. Neither my wife nor I drink alcohol. She usually drinks water, and occasionally ice tea. I drink soft drinks usually. But not enough to make a package worthwhile. We cruise to get away and the likelihood of traveling with someone as a 3/4 in our cabin is about as likely as the Captain taking an inside cabin for a cruise while I used his cabin.

Why don't you try to get the your cruise "re-fared" without E4? As long as you haven't hit final payment date, you should be free to do so and lose the E4 perks for a, hopefully, reduced fare. You may get other perks, through the current view & verandah sale, that may be more suitable in your situation.

Just call your HAL since you booked directly with them, and ask. You could also check your fare on cruise fish (one word) dot net.

Here's a list of all the wines by the glass from the Eurodam a few weeks ago, along with the prices and ratings from actual wine publications:

http://www.evernote.com/l/AFjO4s9zhRBIEqQyc98MV9eRomI9wpGkhzE/

I don't know what your personal wine preference profile is, but if you are looking for a Chardonnay, the Goose Ridge and the Santa Carolina are fine. (If you have the EBP and you want an oak bomb, try the Chateau Ste. Michelle "Mimi." If you don't know what an oak bomb is, ignore this advice.)

If you want something sweeter, the Snoqualmie Riesling should do the trick. Finally, if you like Pinot Grigio, you can select the Zonin. There is also a perfectly acceptable Sauvignon Blanc from Caliterra, but you asked for something other than a "blanc," so I assume you want anything but.

In reds, the Santa Carolina Cabernet is probably your best bet. You can also choose their Merlot is you want something with a more supple mouth feel. There's also a Pacific Bay Cab Sauv, but we didn't try it. (Blame the 7 day cruise.) If you need stand in for a Pinot Noir, your only choice is the Black Opal Shiraz. (It was DFIL's favorite.)

First of all, many thanks for posting that link. It was very informative. I don't see anything appealing even at the upgraded Elite level. I'm glad you posted the link because now I know we should bring several bottles aboard and pay the corkage. We're inside final so refaring isn't an option. Besides the current fare without the Xplore Four is the same as our booked fare with it.

Thanks again.

First of all, many thanks for posting that link. It was very informative. I don't see anything appealing even at the upgraded Elite level. I'm glad you posted the link because now I know we should bring several bottles aboard and pay the corkage. We're inside final so refaring isn't an option. Besides the current fare without the Xplore Four is the same as our booked fare with it.

Thanks again.

Glad to help. After having "run the numbers" and tasting most of the wines by the glass, I don't really have any complaints - other than the fact that the rosé list is pretty sad. There wasn't a dish you couldn't pair on the Elite Beverage Package. The SBP was a little more challenging because there is no Pinot Noir. You could, however, use the Black Opal Shiraz as a stand in.

If you really want special wines, by all means bring them and pay the corkage. That's what we normally do. But, if you have a "free" SBP, you can make it work. If you have the EBP or you can upgrade, you'll have it made in the shade.

In case you are in the mood to spend money, there are some wines on the reserve list that sell for less than you could buy them on land, at current auction prices. Go to page 11 in the list.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/90a1bf7d-fabb-4940-914e-186a461f1911/c3d0e2692e99f533345b041c1d7c9089

Glad to help. After having "run the numbers" and tasting most of the wines by the glass, I don't really have any complaints - other than the fact that the rosé list is pretty sad. There wasn't a dish you couldn't pair on the Elite Beverage Package. The SBP was a little more challenging because there is no Pinot Noir. You could, however, use the Black Opal Shiraz as a stand in.

If you really want special wines, by all means bring them and pay the corkage. That's what we normally do. But, if you have a "free" SBP, you can make it work. If you have the EBP or you can upgrade, you'll have it made in the shade.

In case you are in the mood to spend money, there are some wines on the reserve list that sell for less than you could buy them on land, at current auction prices. Go to page 11 in the list.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/90a1bf7d-fabb-4940-914e-186a461f1911/c3d0e2692e99f533345b041c1d7c9089

I'm sure you've heard the saying: "Life is too short to drink cheap wine."?

I think I'll go for some special wines and pay the corkage. We've booked an aft wrap. Why skimp on the wine?

Thought we'd try the beverage package one time. Probably won't do it again.

• 10 months later...
If you are not in danger of exceeding the 15 drink limit, you can always order several wines and taste them all to see what you'd like best. As long as there are two of you, you can bang that out in one sitting, as each person orders different wines. You then sip and switch to taste your partner's wine.

It's best to do this at a shared table. You'll probably scare your table mates off. Or, you'll give them stories to tell about the lushes who ordered every wine on the menu. :D

But how does square with their 'no sharing' rule? Sounds pretty scary that they can/will cancel your package (without refund) if you break the rules.. :(