Celebrity to Princess and I am lost

TXRed

There will be 2 formal nights. My DH and I are fine with the free, regular coffee. The brewed at the Intl. Cafe is better, though. The Coffee Card gives you the equivalent of a discount on each drink, so if you plan on ordering large froufrou drinks, it’s a good value. If you plan on order one regular drip coffee a day, it might not be. Also, to make it worth it, you need to use all 15 punches during your cruise because it’s now a use it or lose it card. Crown Grill is definitely worth it. Check out the menu for Sabatinis to decide; we used to love it but aren’t as enthralled by it anymore. I haven’t tried Crab Shack.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Neither my husband nor myself are into frou-frou drinks. I am probably the one in our family who drinks the coffee most. So think will stick with the french press and bring my own blend. I have checked out both menus. I checked the menus for both ..I think we might try both...I will hae to check out the Crab Shack. Thanks for your reply and your information.

My wife and I used the coffee card quite a bit. The International Cafe was one of our favorite hangouts on the Ruby last August and I would get a cup of brewed coffee along with a specialty drink for my wife. We did not use all the specialty coffee credit but the brewed coffee and specialty teas were worth the expense for us.

Thank you for your reply. Since I am the main coffee drinker I think the coffee credit might not be the best option for me.

On the Royal in June the TD Maitre D was informed that I have an 'issue' with black pepper (throat gets tight) so we picked out the following days dinner each evening. One night I told him I was going to go to Alfredo's the next day. So he helped me set up an appointment time. Boy was I surprised when I got there! Their maitre d came out and welcomed me sitting me at a table. Then he brought me a beautiful plate of antipasto. He followed that with a salad. Then a wonderful minestrone so good that i repeated it the following night. He followed that with a smaller than normal pizza which was great because I was the only one there. I'm a solo and the pizza was so much better than on the horizon deck, actually as good as I get for my local hole-in-the-wall pizzeria back home. He followed that with vegetarian lasagna and a nice glass of red wine. By this time I time I am overly stuffed and wondering why I went to Sabatini earlier on the cruise since I got everything in Alfredo's. So I got up to leave and he comes over quickly and says my tiramisu and triple long black (after dinner coffee of choice which is what I always got in the main dining room) would be out in just a few moments, would I like to wait? The food was delicious.

I understand that sabatini's is wonderful and a great bargain for $29. Alfredo's is a better bargain for free

You were treated like Royalty. And everything sounds yummy..I must go look at the menu...and it's all included in your cruise price!! thanks for your reply. I have no dub my son will want to visit Alfredo's for sure!

To me, yes, the specialty restaurants might be well worth it !

The charge is much less than Celebrity.

Find out about the menus in the Main Dining Rooms, and plan accordingly.

Are you saying that you can look at the week's worth of menus? How do you go about doing that?

You were treated like Royalty. And everything sounds yummy..I must go look at the menu...and it's all included in your cruise price!! thanks for your reply. I have no dub my son will want to visit Alfredo's for sure!

A lot of people think it's just pizza but it's a large selection of Italian options

Thank you for your reply. Since I am the main coffee drinker I think the coffee credit might not be the best option for me.

The coffee package is $36 including gratuity. A cup of coffee is $1.25 + gratuity = $1.43. In addition, you have the 15 specialty coffees or teas that sell for $3-$5.

So, if you drink one cup of coffee per day, this might not be worthwhile. If you drink coffee like I drink tea, it definitely is a good thing. I didn't use all my specialty drinks, but those I used, combined with the "Premium teas" made it a decent value.

Yeah. I'm another one they lose money on. A long black is $2.50 and I have that a few times a day, nighttime cocoa is $3. So it's a minimum of $8 a day

To see multiple menus, make 'friends' with the maitre d. Privilege normally reserved for those with dietary issues. (grandson's vegan & I've taken him b4, I just have access to next day's bc of black pepper)

I normally order something that isn't even on the menu and yes I tip the maitre d an extra envelope because they're wonderful.

Edited by Ombud

We are Elite on both Princess and Celebrity. IMHO the two are very similar. Sure there are differences but if you are comfortable on Celebrity, you will be comfortable on Princess. For Celebrity, tables in that MDR are closer together and portions are smaller. Coffee at the buffet is the same, remember you drink it for the caffeine.

Princess does AK better because it’s all Princess. On Celebrity, they subcontract it out. Trains aren’t theirs, hotels are farther from where you’ll want to be.

On the whole good move!

No, no discounts. Sometimes through the travel agents there will be a 2 for 1 specialty restaurant coupon in a coupon book left in the cabin. But I have not seen that in awhile.

The specialty restaurants are usually pretty full anyway.

We cruised on a Regal TA earlier this month and there was a 2-for-1 coupon for the first cruise night in the specialty restaurants. We enjoyed 2 for $29 in the Crown Grill.