Packing Tips

Maz85

Blimey, what a fuss - LOL. I pack everything in my suitcase and a carry bag for bits. I usually lose a couple of pounds on the cruise. I met someone who reckons they put on a stone? I simply cannot believe that. You would have to stuff yourself like mad to gain that kind of weight in 18 days.

We were watching that TV programme done on a Princess ship (I think it is called The Cruise) the other week and they noted that passengers put a 1lb a day on on a cruise !!!!! Imagine those long 46 day ones ... you'd need more than 2 cases and to pack more than 2 dress sizes ;):eek::o

Blimey, what a fuss - LOL. I pack everything in my suitcase and a carry bag for bits. I usually lose a couple of pounds on the cruise. I met someone who reckons they put on a stone? I simply cannot believe that. You would have to stuff yourself like mad to gain that kind of weight in 18 days.

I put around 1lb a day on. It’s easily done with premium coffees, desserts, cocktails etc. I don’t think I stuff myself, but I do eat and drink more than I do at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I lost a half stone on a world cruise, in spite of having a 3 course meal every evening. At home I never eat desserts so I agree how do people put so much weight on when they are on a cruise?

I lost a half stone on a world cruise, in spite of having a 3 course meal every evening. At home I never eat desserts so I agree how do people put so much weight on when they are on a cruise?

I take it you don’t bother like most of us in starting the day with a hearty full english breakfast with all the trimmings, then something nice and filling for lunch, then the afternoon tea including cakes and several of those yummy scones with cream. Then the dinner, why just settle with 3 courses. I always have a starter, main, dessert then the cheese board with a generous portion of the Port and Stilton if available. Silly me I nearly forgot the occasional burger and chips or Pizza if you get a bit peckish in between mealtimes.

On a serious note, I am sure some people do consume that amount of food and more per day on a cruise. :eek:

The thing that annoys me is when you see passengers pile their plates high with food from the buffet then leave a good portion on their plates. What a waste of food. :mad:

I take it you don’t bother like most of us in starting the day with a hearty full english breakfast with all the trimmings, then something nice and filling for lunch, then the afternoon tea including cakes and several of those yummy scones with cream. Then the dinner, why just settle with 3 courses. I always have a starter, main, dessert then the cheese board with a generous portion of the Port and Stilton if available. Silly me I nearly forgot the occasional burger and chips or Pizza if you get a bit peckish in between mealtimes.

On a serious note, I am sure some people do consume that amount of food and more per day on a cruise. :eek:

The thing that annoys me is when you see passengers pile their plates high with food from the buffet then leave a good portion on their plates. What a waste of food. :mad:

Yes, there is a lot of food wasted unnecessarily.

I’ll tell you how people put on weight and it’s not always due to greed or excess. There are serious medical studies that now prove that some people eating the same as others will retain more of it. They would be the natural survivors in a famine but when there is plenty they are the ones that gain weight easily.

But back to the OP question. Vacuum bags are a great way to reduce the volume of clothes in your case.Get the ones you just push or roll to expel the air out of them,

They are great for smalls, t shirts etc and for sealing up dirty laundry for travelling home.

On my first cruise (Canberra ‘86) I too was concerned about putting on weight. There was a weighing machine just before the entrance to one of the lounges. I weighed myself in Southampton and again a few days later. I was appalled to find I had put on 5lbs by the time we were off the coast of Portugal. I decided that a dietary change was urgently required. After ‘a lighter option’ lunch I tried the weighing machine again. 3lbs lighter than Southampton, great! ...oops, now 5lbs heavier again. I realised that I had forgotten my basic physics: as the ship pitches and accelerates upwards, your weight increases; as it accelerates downwards your weight decreases. It was pretty rough outside.

Normal diet was resumed and two weeks later I disembarked at Southampton at about the same weight as I started. Never been on a set of P&O scales since!

I too don't tend to put weight on during a cruise. Despite being one of those who would survive a famine. I try to stick to my normal meal routine. Avoid afternoon tea, and the speciality restaurants, which make me eat more "to get my money's worth". But I am more active. At home I am a couch potato, but on a cruise I am a FOMO. (For those not "down with the kids" it is Fear Of Missing Out. ) So whilst I am not a gym bunny I am on my feet more than at home, so that seems to take care of any extra calories from the wine at dinner.

I also put little or no weight on during a cruise. I eat pretty much as I do at home.

Poached egg and toast for breakfast.

Salad or soup for lunch.

A light starter, fish or chicken with vegetables (nothing fried) for my main and a dessert for dinner.

I do have a glass of wine with my dinner every night which I do not have at home. As I am not a great drinker I rarely have any other alcohol. I maintain that not drinking a lot of alcohol and a little more exercise helps. My OH usually gains a few pounds and while he doesn't eat excessively he does have a cooked breakfast everyday and a beer while we are around the ship in the evening.

What is a "proper caution" ?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Such as using the right volts of your adaptor unto its volt of outlets(in the ships) glady they provide 110 and 220 volts power outlets in it. Also, According to rcc website, the things that are exempted to the ban of things that can generate heat are hairy dryers and curling irons. I know that because my wife does bring her own hair dryer because the one that is provided in the ship is really awful, well according to her.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the door multi pocket organisers are great to keep all the bottles of ladies beautification equipment from rolling around whilst crossing the Bay of Biscay ;)

If you get one for shoes then you can also fit some in as well, as my wife turns into a centipede when on a cruise!!

Over the door multi pocket organisers are great to keep all the bottles of ladies beautification equipment from rolling around whilst crossing the Bay of Biscay ;)

If you get one for shoes then you can also fit some in as well, as my wife turns into a centipede when on a cruise!!

Sounds like a good Plan. Lol the wife turns into a centipede 😂😂