Carnival Legend 4K French Doors no longer open - Sealed shut!

Thanks.

My pleasure. We've stayed in those cabins 6 times now and always had one between lifeboats and always enjoyed the sofa that is not included with a regular interior cabin. The surcharge was always worth paying for the added features.

I wish this site's resident expert on all things maritime would weigh in here. I was told that in an emergency event if the degree of list was severe enough that the boats could not be loaded with passengers from the promenade deck the boat station crew would direct passengers to the 4k cabins on main deck to evacuate the ship from there. I do not know this for fact but it does make me question why the " french " doors are there in the first place.

tfss-783c208b-1e3d-484a-85b4-4719ea30afdb-image_800.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

My pleasure. We've stayed in those cabins 6 times now and always had one between lifeboats and always enjoyed the sofa that is not included with a regular interior cabin. The surcharge was always worth paying for the added features.

I wish this site's resident expert on all things maritime would weigh in here. I was told that in an emergency event if the degree of list was severe enough that the boats could not be loaded with passengers from the promenade deck the boat station crew would direct passengers to the 4k cabins on main deck to evacuate the ship from there. I do not know this for fact but it does make me question why the " french " doors are there in the first place.

tfss-783c208b-1e3d-484a-85b4-4719ea30afdb-image_800.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

Wow, I had not heard about that before. We had only done the 4K once before this next cruise. We really liked it.

A friend and I had one of these 4Ks with the French Door on Legend for Alaska last fall, and loved it. Right between 2 lifeboats for the bit of a view. But the other reason was for being able to get fresh air at times. They also have a sofa and small table.

For those who don't know about these, they are listed as "interior" 4K category for pricing, but they are at the highest interior price range just because of having those French doors. In other words, you definitely pay an upcharge for these. We knew about the price differences and it was worth it to us.

Another thing----these are NOT any kind of obstructed balcony. The door could open, but there is a bar across about waist high and there is nothing to walk out onto, even if you tried to shimmy under the bar.

OP, I would be upset too if I had found out about the change without prior notice from the cruise line. Thank you for letting us know. I still love Legend. She just came out of dry dock, so I'm guessing that may be that is when these changes were made to these cabins.

Just to let everyone know, all of the 4K cabin French doors on the Legend have been sealed closed. I confirmed this with Carnival today. You can also check out the Carnival website, that's how I stumbled on the change. The cabin description that had read "Interior with French Doors" now reads "Interior with Window". I am currently booked on the Legend for the Journeys cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. I am in one of these 4K rooms specifically for the ability to open the French doors (we did Alaska in a 4K room and loved it). I am very upset for a couple of reasons. Carnival is not bothering to notify anyone that they have downgraded these rooms. Also, as far as I am concerned, Carnival owes anyone that booked one of these rooms some onboard credit of at least the amount that was paid to upgrade to French doors. They don't see it that way. They don't feel the need to notify anyone of the change. I spent over a couple of hours on the phone with them today and all that they offered (after a lot of pressing) was a $25 onboard credit or we could cancel our cruise. That does not come close to covering the amount that was paid to upgrade to a 4K. Anyone that booked a 4K on the Legend while it was being advertised as having the French doors need to call Carnival customer service and complain. At the very least, you might get a bit of credit. Hopefully if they get enough calls they will realize that they did not handle this properly. Sad these are sealed, but hey, it's their ship. However, this is not fair for those that booked before the change. I would have been really pissed if I did not find out about the sealed doors until I got in the cabin and I'm sure no one else will appreciate the surprise either.:mad:

I am curious. What did you settle on? Did you cancel? Did you take the $25 OBC? Did they sweeten the deal and offer something else? I don't mean to pry. I am just curious how far they were willing to move.

These were always an odd design. I wonder why the Spirit-class were built this way in the first place.

As for why Carnival would replace the doors with windows, I'd have to suspect it's primarily to save money on maintenance.

I don't blame Carnival for making this change, but I also don't blame the OP for being upset. Carnival should have offered some sort of significant compensation to those who booked these as French Door cabins. By significant I mean $50 pp or similar.

I am curious. What did you settle on? Did you cancel? Did you take the $25 OBC? Did they sweeten the deal and offer something else? I don't mean to pry. I am just curious how far they were willing to move.

By all means, please pry. I certainly will not be cancelling. Not a lot of action at this point. Unfortunately, I discovered the change on Friday afternoon and I am hoping to hear back from some people today now that the weekend is over.

I know you know not to hold your breath. Make noise! The squeaky wheel gets the grease, well sometimes, but do let us know.

Will do. At this point, I would also really like to see them commit to notifying everyone that booked a 4K French door cabin before the change was made.

IMO, changing the cabin design without notice warrants a possible issuing of OBC, or an upgrade to the next cabin category, but that's just my opinion.

I'll guess that there may be fine print in the cruise contract that allows them to do this without compensation?

IMO, changing the cabin design without notice warrants a possible issuing of OBC, or an upgrade to the next cabin category, but that's just my opinion.

I'll guess that there may be fine print in the cruise contract that allows them to do this without compensation?

Oh, I'm sure the contract covers them legally. Poor customer service on Carnival's part for not informing people that had booked before the change happened. They should at least give the upcharge that was paid for these cabins back as OBC. We'll see. Cabin upgrade not really possible in my situation due to pretty full booking.

I have been told by Carnival and John Heald that they will be doing this on each Spirit class ship when they have their next dry dock.

That's a shame and an insult to the architect who designed these cabins for their potential in the event of an evacuation, imo. I can only imagine the USCG approved this action or Carnival " forgot " to check with USCG.

Looking at the pictures posted, it looks like there could be a big liability/safety issue with the design of the door in the cabins.

There is also the issue of air conditioning being affected if the doors were left open.

It makes sense that the doors were removed and replaced with windows.

Looking at the pictures posted, it looks like there could be a big liability/safety issue with the design of the door in the cabins.

There is also the issue of air conditioning being affected if the doors were left open.

It makes sense that the doors were removed and replaced with windows.

No issue that you mention would not also apply with the balcony doors, but they are not taking those out. I'm curious why you think the door design is a safety issue.

Edited by Krazyhardrocker

I agree in part with the safety issue. Climbing over a rail on a balcony ends with a splash. Climbing over a rail outside a 4k ends with exploring a lifeboat.... and possibly a splash. Some were exploring. I do not agree with the air condition comments. That applies to any room with a door that goes outside.... not just 4k doors. I agree Carnival should offer something. I do not agree that it should be the full upcharge. A window is not what we paid for, but it is an upgrade over no window. These rooms also have a sofa. That is a huge upgrade in our eyes. In the end, my opinion only affects me. I will be very curious where this ends and how much is offered for all... if anything. I am guessing nothing will be offered unless you are willing to invest much time in calls.

I will be very curious where this ends and how much is offered for all... if anything. I am guessing nothing will be offered unless you are willing to invest much time in calls.

I agree. At this point, my main concern is that they should be informing people who made a booking before the change. Maybe they are afraid to let people know in advance, but it would be better than surprising them when they get to their cabin.

No issue that you mention would not also apply with the balcony doors, but they are not taking those out. I'm curious why you think the door design is a safety issue.

You can't even compare that to a balcony door or balcony. First off the balcony opens to a firm deck, and the balcony itself has glass, steel and a wood railing. The 4k doors open right to the outside with only a wood railing there. That's a huge liability issue. I'm sorry that you're upset and you should be compensated for booking a room that was modified after you booked it but it's totally and probably entirely legal for the company to change the room at will.

You can't even compare that to a balcony door or balcony. First off the balcony opens to a firm deck, and the balcony itself has glass, steel and a wood railing. The 4k doors open right to the outside with only a wood railing there. That's a huge liability issue. I'm sorry that you're upset and you should be compensated for booking a room that was modified after you booked it but it's totally and probably entirely legal for the company to change the room at will.

Well, I have heard of people going overboard from the balcony, but never from a 4K. And I agree, it is totally legal and Carnival's right to change the room. Honestly, it is more that likely their right to do it without compensation (although bad customer service). At this point, I would really just like to see them notify anyone that booked before the change so they can make an informed decision about their cabin choice.

I guess the compensation is you are now in a higher category with an "oceanview",

Actually, not a higher category. It's still a 4K. That "Oceanview" is severely restricted unless you are lucky enough to get a cabin positioned between life boats. I booked for the ability to open the doors for some air, not for the awesome view.

We have the 4K booked on the Legend in June. I am glad I read this before getting on board and finding out that there is no longer a French door that can be opened for air. It will be interesting to see if Carnival gives you any more that $25.

We have the 4K booked on the Legend in June. I am glad I read this before getting on board and finding out that there is no longer a French door that can be opened for air. It will be interesting to see if Carnival gives you any more that $25.

I have been working with a Carnival customer service representative through Facebook (send a message ). They are holding strong on the $25, but they did just throw in a bottle of wine. It took some work to make it happen so I encourage you to message or call them to let them know what you think about the situation. They don't seem at all interested in getting this information out to cruisers that booked before the change, which I think is a big mistake and a possible nightmare for guest services on the ship when people board and don't get what they booked. Again, nothing will happen if you don't contract them and nothing will change unless they get enough people to complain. Good luck and happy cruising in June!

Edited by LauraS
Removal carnival employee name