Wheelchair NYC pre cruise questions

Popabear

My wife and I will be taking a cruise out of NYC this Fall. We would like to go to the city 3-4 days before the cruise (flying in). I'm a little concerned with how we will get around with several large bags and a non folding wheelchair.

- Is there anyway to send most of our bags to the cruise so we aren't stuck with one person trying to move 4 bags?

- What would be a good way.of getting around the city and to the cruise terminal with a wheelchair?

- Can anyone recommend a good wheelchair friendly hotel near Time Square? It's a manual chair and would prefer no steep ramps.

Thanks.

All the hotels in NYC are ADA compliant you would have to contact ones you’re interested in to see if they have rooms available. A good way to get around is door to door transportation. Even though many busses offer wheelchair access, navigating the crowded urban sidewalks may be difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would check with the airline(s) about their rules about non-folding wheelchairs in being transported, and, also with cruiseline's Access/Special Needs - there is a Forum here on CC where others with experience & can be of help of what/how to ... There are width limitations for the size of wheelchairs that can fit in terms of passage, even for accessible staterooms.

When we used to take my MIL out of SNF on a day outing to spend time with the extended clan, we always transfer and use a lighter transport wheelchair, easier to fit in ADA-compliant taxi-van & car service, etc. as well as private vehicles.

My other suggestion, please consider smart packing for easier travel, easier for everyone since you are not bringing along a full-time 24/7 "attendant" to assist. Otherwise, you would be counting on hotel's doorman (not all them has the services) and porter's services at the cruise terminal, also - at the airport(s).

Sorry, I am not aware of a way to forward your luggage from the hotel ahead to the cruise terminal, unless someone like yourself are accompanying it on the morning of embarkation. It sounded like you will need all the space of a mini-van to fit everything, airport-to-hotel, hotel-to-cruise, cruise-to-airport, etc. Please kindly budget your allowance for expenses accordingly .

Times Square is mentioned, the assumption is that your ship will be docked at the nearby MCT and not in Brooklyn or Cape Liberty ... just starting the conversation as I'm sure others will join in.

I'm aware of two services that will pick up your luggage at your home and deliver it to cruise ships, Luggage Forward and Luggage Free. I can't recommend one or the other as I haven't used their services, but I can say with certainty that they will not be inexpensive.

https://www.luggageforward.com/cruise-luggage-shipping/?adw=GPRNTCMWQ77P&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj4W3tLCB2wIVQ1cMCh0KfQtxEAAYASAAEgJOyPD_BwE

https://www.luggagefree.com/send-luggage-to-a-cruise-ship/