Disney Cruise Line
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:35 PM.
#1
3,973 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
We'll be taking our first Disney cruise with the grandkids on the Dream this coming August- they will be 8, 6, and 2- we are confirmed for the 2nd seating.
On all our other cruises the show times were 8pm and 9:30- so we would go after dinner.
With Disney being a family/ child friendly line, will we be able to see shows before dinner or should we switch to main seating and hope the young one's will be able to stay awake for a later show
Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Starward 81, Volendam 83, Oceanic 87, Majestic 93, Victory 2/10/02, Imagination 5/23/02, 1/30/03, Conquest 12/28/03, Destiny 04/11/04, Golden Princess 4/10/05, Century 1/12/06, Miracle 4/9/06, NCL Spirit CTN 6/17/06,6/14/07, RCI Explorer 9/22/06, Empress of the Seas 4/06/07, CCL Legend Eastern 2/12/07, NCL Dawn CTN 5/5/07, QM2 7/2/07, Noordam 12/01/07, Serenade of the Seas 3/29/08, Miracle 8/29/08, Summit 2/21/09, NCL Dawn 10/04/09, B2B Caribbean Princess, 4/25, 5/02/10, Sapphire Princess 3/12/11 Mexican Riviera, Glory 6/5/11 4 night to St John NB, Silhouette 3/5/12, Conquest 11/25/12 Western Caribbean, Tere Moana 3/23/2013, Diamond Princess SB 7/27/2013, Conquest 11/09/13, Royal Princess 3/23/14, NCL Gem 12 day S Caribbean 12/01/14, Paul Gauguin 7 day Society Islands 7/4/2015, Tere Moana 12/12/15 St Maarten to Colon,Gem 11 day NYC 4/18 2017, Up Next Celebrity Summit to Bermuda 07/04/17
#2
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Whether you do early dinner/late show or late dinner/early show is really a personal matter. Does it bother you more if a child falls asleep during the show or during dinner? The late show ends by 9pm, so it isn't all that late...but might be too late for the youngest even with a nap.

It is easy to do a 4pm snack before the early show, so if someone sleeps thru dinner that isn't such a big deal.

If you want to change to early dinner, call DCL (your TA will need to do this if you used one) and ask to be waitlisted for main seating.
#3
3,973 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Originally posted by moki'smommy
Whether you do early dinner/late show or late dinner/early show is really a personal matter. Does it bother you more if a child falls asleep during the show or during dinner? The late show ends by 9pm, so it isn't all that late...but might be too late for the youngest even with a nap.

It is easy to do a 4pm snack before the early show, so if someone sleeps thru dinner that isn't such a big deal.

If you want to change to early dinner, call DCL (your TA will need to do this if you used one) and ask to be waitlisted for main seating.
If the late show ends by 9 pm- how could we possibly get to see it with an 8 pm dining time?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Starward 81, Volendam 83, Oceanic 87, Majestic 93, Victory 2/10/02, Imagination 5/23/02, 1/30/03, Conquest 12/28/03, Destiny 04/11/04, Golden Princess 4/10/05, Century 1/12/06, Miracle 4/9/06, NCL Spirit CTN 6/17/06,6/14/07, RCI Explorer 9/22/06, Empress of the Seas 4/06/07, CCL Legend Eastern 2/12/07, NCL Dawn CTN 5/5/07, QM2 7/2/07, Noordam 12/01/07, Serenade of the Seas 3/29/08, Miracle 8/29/08, Summit 2/21/09, NCL Dawn 10/04/09, B2B Caribbean Princess, 4/25, 5/02/10, Sapphire Princess 3/12/11 Mexican Riviera, Glory 6/5/11 4 night to St John NB, Silhouette 3/5/12, Conquest 11/25/12 Western Caribbean, Tere Moana 3/23/2013, Diamond Princess SB 7/27/2013, Conquest 11/09/13, Royal Princess 3/23/14, NCL Gem 12 day S Caribbean 12/01/14, Paul Gauguin 7 day Society Islands 7/4/2015, Tere Moana 12/12/15 St Maarten to Colon,Gem 11 day NYC 4/18 2017, Up Next Celebrity Summit to Bermuda 07/04/17
#4
4,595 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
If you have early dining, you will go to the late show. If you have late dining, you go to the early show. The shows are timed so that while one group is eating, the show is going on. There is a brief time where there are family activities in between the two.
#5
3,973 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Originally posted by 1025cruise
If you have early dining, you will go to the late show. If you have late dining, you go to the early show. The shows are timed so that while one group is eating, the show is going on. There is a brief time where there are family activities in between the two.
So, if we have late- 8pm dining- the early show would 7, 6:45 or 6:30?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Starward 81, Volendam 83, Oceanic 87, Majestic 93, Victory 2/10/02, Imagination 5/23/02, 1/30/03, Conquest 12/28/03, Destiny 04/11/04, Golden Princess 4/10/05, Century 1/12/06, Miracle 4/9/06, NCL Spirit CTN 6/17/06,6/14/07, RCI Explorer 9/22/06, Empress of the Seas 4/06/07, CCL Legend Eastern 2/12/07, NCL Dawn CTN 5/5/07, QM2 7/2/07, Noordam 12/01/07, Serenade of the Seas 3/29/08, Miracle 8/29/08, Summit 2/21/09, NCL Dawn 10/04/09, B2B Caribbean Princess, 4/25, 5/02/10, Sapphire Princess 3/12/11 Mexican Riviera, Glory 6/5/11 4 night to St John NB, Silhouette 3/5/12, Conquest 11/25/12 Western Caribbean, Tere Moana 3/23/2013, Diamond Princess SB 7/27/2013, Conquest 11/09/13, Royal Princess 3/23/14, NCL Gem 12 day S Caribbean 12/01/14, Paul Gauguin 7 day Society Islands 7/4/2015, Tere Moana 12/12/15 St Maarten to Colon,Gem 11 day NYC 4/18 2017, Up Next Celebrity Summit to Bermuda 07/04/17
#6
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
If you have late dining, you have early show--typically 6pm.

I've seen show and dinner times vary by 15 minutes on some cruises, but they are all basically in the same time window.
#7
3,973 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Originally posted by moki'smommy
If you have late dining, you have early show--typically 6pm.

I've seen show and dinner times vary by 15 minutes on some cruises, but they are all basically in the same time window.
Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Starward 81, Volendam 83, Oceanic 87, Majestic 93, Victory 2/10/02, Imagination 5/23/02, 1/30/03, Conquest 12/28/03, Destiny 04/11/04, Golden Princess 4/10/05, Century 1/12/06, Miracle 4/9/06, NCL Spirit CTN 6/17/06,6/14/07, RCI Explorer 9/22/06, Empress of the Seas 4/06/07, CCL Legend Eastern 2/12/07, NCL Dawn CTN 5/5/07, QM2 7/2/07, Noordam 12/01/07, Serenade of the Seas 3/29/08, Miracle 8/29/08, Summit 2/21/09, NCL Dawn 10/04/09, B2B Caribbean Princess, 4/25, 5/02/10, Sapphire Princess 3/12/11 Mexican Riviera, Glory 6/5/11 4 night to St John NB, Silhouette 3/5/12, Conquest 11/25/12 Western Caribbean, Tere Moana 3/23/2013, Diamond Princess SB 7/27/2013, Conquest 11/09/13, Royal Princess 3/23/14, NCL Gem 12 day S Caribbean 12/01/14, Paul Gauguin 7 day Society Islands 7/4/2015, Tere Moana 12/12/15 St Maarten to Colon,Gem 11 day NYC 4/18 2017, Up Next Celebrity Summit to Bermuda 07/04/17
#9
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by cruisefamilyforever
but dinner is always served at the same times.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2017...ugust-14-2017/
Not so. Dinner times have been adjusted slightly thru the years and continue to be adjusted on some of the special cruises like TAs, Panama Canal crossings, and European cruises. I do agree that they are standardized now on Bahamian and Caribbean cruises.
#10
Shalimar Florida
194 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by moki'smommy
Not so. Dinner times have been adjusted slightly thru the years and continue to be adjusted on some of the special cruises like TAs, Panama Canal crossings, and European cruises. I do agree that they are standardized now on Bahamian and Caribbean cruises.
I was only addressing the regular Dream cruises for the time of the year they were talking about and for them the information is accurate. Could they possibly change, sure but they have been the standard times since the Dream started sailing for the standard cruises. • 5:45 pm - First seating • 8:15 pm - Second seating
#11
DC Metro area
440 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
We recently got off the Dream and we had originally booked late dining. We were overruled by our adult children because of their kids (6,4, and 1). The early dining turned out fine. We pushed it until 6 so we didn't feel like we were eating lunch. It gave us time to get to the late show and the 6 and 1 year old were able to stay awake, the 4 year old slept through each one (although he said he loved them). I'm not sure any of us could have waited for the late dining. Without kids, we normally eat between 7:30 and 8.
#12
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by dateacher
We recently got off the Dream and we had originally booked late dining. We were overruled by our adult children because of their kids (6,4, and 1). The early dining turned out fine. We pushed it until 6 so we didn't feel like we were eating lunch. It gave us time to get to the late show and the 6 and 1 year old were able to stay awake, the 4 year old slept through each one (although he said he loved them). I'm not sure any of us could have waited for the late dining. Without kids, we normally eat between 7:30 and 8.
Having 5:45 dining scheduled and not showing up till 6 is rude and gets makes things more difficult for your serving team. It will always be 15 minutes or more from the time the dining room opens till you see your appetizer. You probably had a table for just your extended family, so that's not as big a deal, but many servers won't put in their food order until they have taken the order from every table. That means that showing up late delays the entire serving station OR that they need to make an extra trip to the kitchen. But then, it was the Dream....short cruise doesn't amount to much.

We love late dining, in part because it frees up early spots for people with little kids. We handle it by having a small "healthy snack" about 4pm.
#13
DC Metro area
440 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Sorry you think it's rude but I checked before we did it. Some of us got there at 5:45 and others by 6. We never ordered until everyone was there and were never the last to leave so we didn't hold up getting ready for the second seating.
#14
10,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by dateacher
Sorry you think it's rude but I checked before we did it. Some of us got there at 5:45 and others by 6. We never ordered until everyone was there and were never the last to leave so we didn't hold up getting ready for the second seating.
The crew will never tell you that you are inconveniencing them or that they would prefer that you not do something unless it is a clear policy violation. The issue is not holding up preparations for second seating. It is the system in the galley for getting out each course. People who show up late don't allow the system to run smoothly as it was designed.

The other option that guests who don't like the dining times have is to eat at Cabanas for dinner. It is a sit down restaurant in the evening, not a buffet. The atmosphere and food are excellent--better than the MDRs. It is not open on the first or last night of a cruise. You show up at the podium any time during the hours it is open and will be shown to a table and given a menu.
#15
DC Metro area
440 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
I meant to add that we were all one family at the table. We waited to order until everyone arrived and followed the staff's wishes that we order all courses at once.
#16
Indiana
339 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by moki'smommy
The crew will never tell you that you are inconveniencing them or that they would prefer that you not do something unless it is a clear policy violation. The issue is not holding up preparations for second seating. It is the system in the galley for getting out each course. People who show up late don't allow the system to run smoothly as it was designed.

The other option that guests who don't like the dining times have is to eat at Cabanas for dinner. It is a sit down restaurant in the evening, not a buffet. The atmosphere and food are excellent--better than the MDRs. It is not open on the first or last night of a cruise. You show up at the podium any time during the hours it is open and will be shown to a table and given a menu.
15 minutes does not cause a major issue whatsoever...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oasis of the Seas-March 2017
Royal Princess-March 2016 --- Anthem of the Seas-January 2017
Oasis of the Seas-March 2015 --- Norwegian Breakaway-October 2015
Navigator of the Seas-October 2014 --- Navigator of the Seas-December 2014
Allure of the Seas-March 2014 --- Norwegian Breakaway-June 2014
Oasis of the Seas-October 2013 --- Freedom of the Seas-December 2013
Norwegian Breakaway-June 2013 --- Carnival Dream - July 2013
Carnival Conquest-March 2013 --- Navigator of the Seas-Decemeber 2012
Allure of the Seas-July 2012 --- Oasis of the Seas-March 2012
Disney Wonder-January 2012 --- Disney Dream-October 2011
Disney Wonder-December 2010 --- Disney Magic-January 2010
Norwegian Gem-March 2009 --- Carnival Legend-March 2008
Rhapsody of the Seas-April 2007 --- Voyager of the Seas-January 2005
Enchantment of the Seas-Febuary 2004 --- Disney Magic-March 2003
Disney Wonder-September 2002 --- Disney Wonder-February 2002