Observations from our latest Royal Caribbean cruise

Wife and I just returned from a fantastic vacation aboard Harmony of the Seas. Weather once we got out of the storms in FL was beautiful! We did get a fair bit of rain on the first day/night but then it was perfect.

All in all this was a great vacation. Royal Caribbean did a great job and almost everyone seemed to be having a great time.

I did notice a few things, as this was our 9th Royal Caribbean cruise, that I am wondering if others have noticed...

My Time Dining: Was a disaster. Wait first night was 40 minutes, and no reservations available (despite them continuing to tell us via Cruise Compass and notes in the room to book a reservation). Staff was quite rude/dismissive/unhelpful. Diamond concierge luckily solved problem in 5 minutes on second night - was a very frustrating situation that worked out fine. Don't think I'll do My Time again - have others seen this kind of issue?

Rising Tide: We love Rising Tide after dinner - it's nice to just sit and watch people while the bar moves slowly from Deck 5 to Deck 8. On Harmony this week it seemed like the staff had the turbo-thrusters on which meant we moved for maybe 2 minutes and sat for 20+ minutes. Is this the new normal, or just something the bar staff that particular week were doing?

Solarium: Seems like non-adults were constantly in and out of Solarium. When we first cruised the pool attendants made sure to stop it from happening, but it seems like they no longer do that. It was nice to have one area on the ship without the kids running / yelling / playing / etc. Is it just the way it is now?

Security: There seemed to be a LOT of security on this ship, and very visible. I didn't have an issue but seemed out of the ordinary - did we have an issue or is Royal Caribbean just being more vigilant?

We LOVED our vacation - just noticing little things that I wanted to see if anomalies or normal.

Oh and we love the baggage valet service! That takes the stress out of getting to airport with the bags - yes there is a fee, but in our minds it's worth it!

David

You could have asked about all those things while on the ship, could have been specific to your cruise

Have seen long lines for no reservations for mtd many years? Most of the time it's the first or second night and clears up

Hello. I just went on the Harmony May 19th. On the first night- the Mytime dining reservation desk was going crazy. There was only one employee and she started to scream in order to tell the passengers more information about the program. She told us to go to floor 3 because we made the line on the 5th floor. We left the long line only to notice that floor 3 was closed. I have used my time dining before- and do require some sort of wait time. This time around I had 8:00 pm dinner and it was perfect. No wait and I didn't have to deal with waiting to be called.

The moving bar seemed to be moving slow or stationary for long periods of time.

I did see lots of security. They were always quiet and looking around. I would notice them in the promenade.

Solarium: Seems like non-adults were constantly in and out of Solarium. When we first cruised the pool attendants made sure to stop it from happening, but it seems like they no longer do that. It was nice to have one area on the ship without the kids running / yelling / playing / etc. Is it just the way it is now?

Security: There seemed to be a LOT of security on this ship, and very visible. I didn't have an issue but seemed out of the ordinary - did we have an issue or is Royal Caribbean just being more vigilant?

How many of your other cruises were on Oasis class ships? The Solarium Bistro, a popular eating spot for breakfast and lunch, is inside the Solarium, and is open to all. This probably accounts for at least some of the foot traffic of young people.

Security: Is this a bad thing?????

I’ve noticed My Time Dining seems to vary from ship to ship (or maybe from sailing to sailing). I’ve had sailings where with reservations, it was a 20+ minute wait to be seated - We changed to late dining after the 3rd night. We typically eat towards the later evening anyway, so just do late dining from now on.

How many of your other cruises were on Oasis class ships? The Solarium Bistro, a popular eating spot for breakfast and lunch, is inside the Solarium, and is open to all. This probably accounts for at least some of the foot traffic of young people.

Security: Is this a bad thing?????

Oasis twice - and the number of kids seemed fewer in Solarium. And it wasn't the Bistro - these were kids with parents lounging and/or groups of kids "playing". Nothing MAJOR, but definitely more than say 5 years ago.

I actually said I didn't have an issue with the Security, but was just curious as it stood out to me as different...

MTD has been a problem for us at times, we our back to reservations early or late..

We are doing the same for our next cruise (Edge in March 2019). MTD also seemed hectic for staff - just not the same "vibe" for us.

Overall, as I've said, VERY pleased with the cruise. Just noticed some things and wanted to calibrate with others.

Oasis twice - and the number of kids seemed fewer in Solarium. And it wasn't the Bistro - these were kids with parents lounging and/or groups of kids "playing". Nothing MAJOR, but definitely more than say 5 years ago.

I would find an attendant and have him throw the kids out!!!!!

I would find an attendant and have him throw the kids out!!!!!

That is definitely my plan in the future. Shouldn't have to - but will definitely do that. What kills me is the parents who bring the kids in like it's nothing - just kills me.

That is definitely my plan in the future. Shouldn't have to - but will definitely do that. What kills me is the parents who bring the kids in like it's nothing - just kills me.

You obviously missed the fact that those parents were in the "rules don't apply to us" group.:rolleyes:

Edited by Host Clarea

My Time Dining: Was a disaster. Wait first night was 40 minutes, and no reservations available (despite them continuing to tell us via Cruise Compass and notes in the room to book a reservation). Staff was quite rude/dismissive/unhelpful. Diamond concierge luckily solved problem in 5 minutes on second night - was a very frustrating situation that worked out fine. Don't think I'll do My Time again - have others seen this kind of issue?

Rising Tide: We love Rising Tide after dinner - it's nice to just sit and watch people while the bar moves slowly from Deck 5 to Deck 8. On Harmony this week it seemed like the staff had the turbo-thrusters on which meant we moved for maybe 2 minutes and sat for 20+ minutes. Is this the new normal, or just something the bar staff that particular week were doing?

We LOVED our vacation - just noticing little things that I wanted to see if anomalies or normal.

Oh and we love the baggage valet service! That takes the stress out of getting to airport with the bags - yes there is a fee, but in our minds it's worth it!

David

Thanks for sharing, glad you had a good time. I've never done MTD, but have heard many stories like that, but also have read people who are devoted to it and had no problem. I had noticed MTD had the main floor on Freedom in 2015, Oasis in 2016, and Adventure in 2017 but we had the main floor in traditional dining on Majesty in 2017 and on Jewel in 2018. I'm hoping that means traditional dining is making a comeback.

We enjoy riding the Rising tide before dinner as well, just don't yell out the trivia answers to those in the Schnooner bar!

I've done MTD on the Grandeur, Anthem, and Ovation as we used to do traditional early seating, but in the last two years switched to MTD.

I think we must have been lucky, as only on the Ovation did we ever have a wait, and that was on only one night because we went right after a show ended. We never made a reservation.

All the other ships, without making a reservation, we walked in at different times typically within a 30 minute window one way or the other, and somehow always got our same table and waiter. Must be how they set the system up.

I've done MTD on the Grandeur, Anthem, and Ovation as we used to do traditional early seating, but in the last two years switched to MTD.

I think we must have been lucky, as only on the Ovation did we ever have a wait, and that was on only one night because we went right after a show ended. We never made a reservation.

All the other ships, without making a reservation, we walked in at different times typically within a 30 minute window one way or the other, and somehow always got our same table and waiter. Must be how they set the system up.

That's a totally different experience - weird. I guess it's hit or miss then. I think we will switch back to regular dining - we like that anyway.

for my upcoming August Harmony I booked specialty dining for my first night since over the years I have learned that MTD is a disaster the first night, no matter what Oasis class ship I've been on.

I'm going with newbies to the Oasis class, why would I want the first night to be a disaster? That's no way to start a vacation!

Interesting about the security - wonder if it had to do with the summer months and the more children on board... But I know I've never seen security before on board - I'll be on the lookout for them myself.

and Yes, if children are running around the adult area solarium with no pool, TELL security!!!

for my upcoming August Harmony I booked specialty dining for my first night since over the years I have learned that MTD is a disaster the first night, no matter what Oasis class ship I've been on.

I'm going with newbies to the Oasis class, why would I want the first night to be a disaster? That's no way to start a vacation!

Interesting about the security - wonder if it had to do with the summer months and the more children on board... But I know I've never seen security before on board - I'll be on the lookout for them myself.

and Yes, if children are running around the adult area solarium with no pool, TELL security!!!

One habit we have gotten into, if it's available, is to book a Specialty Lunch the day of boarding. We always fly in the day before and stay over and board early, and having a quiet relaxing lunch at Jamie Oliver's for example is WAY BETTER than the disaster at Windjammer. Best way (in my opinion) to board and also enjoy the specialty dining.

Sailed the Harmony last March, and November. Both times there was always a long line waiting to get into MDR with MTD. Lines were about 15+ minutes probably linger, not sure since I would easily get bored, and head to the bar. Order a few drinks while my wife waited in line, on the way back I get her one too knowing her patience would be wearing thin.

Although we noticed the later you went the shorter the lines were.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

One habit we have gotten into, if it's available, is to book a Specialty Lunch the day of boarding. We always fly in the day before and stay over and board early, and having a quiet relaxing lunch at Jamie Oliver's for example is WAY BETTER than the disaster at Windjammer. Best way (in my opinion) to board and also enjoy the specialty dining.

Great suggestion RaleighDavid -i'll have to ask the crew that I'm going with - They are leaning on us alot since we have done the Harmony before, and I suggested almost every specialty restaurant already.... We already have it planned to stay FAR away from the WJ, as I know to avoid it like the plague, but the others are Royal Loyals, who haven't cruised in awhile and LOVE the WJ.

Also wanted to thank you for sharing your recent cruise adventure with us all. Glad you have a great vacation!

Great suggestion RaleighDavid -i'll have to ask the crew that I'm going with - They are leaning on us alot since we have done the Harmony before, and I suggested almost every specialty restaurant already.... We already have it planned to stay FAR away from the WJ, as I know to avoid it like the plague, but the others are Royal Loyals, who haven't cruised in awhile and LOVE the WJ.

Also wanted to thank you for sharing your recent cruise adventure with us all. Glad you have a great vacation!

Thanks! We have done it every time we can, and it's an absolutely *relaxing* lunch experience. Bonus is once you are done the rooms are ready, and almost every time our bags have been sitting at the door. It's $25pp but worth it in my opinion.

Enjoy the cruise!

I did MTD on first Caribbean cruise inaugural season. It was a disaster and they do not try to suggest sharing. As a solo traveller I got annoyed and walked away feeling like I was unworthy of their restaurant.

Within 3 days the buffet.was crowded and they were not.

Royal has had increased security for several years now (most of it invisible), but perhaps they're following the tourist industry trend to move to more visible security, including uniform security rather than plain clothes. Visible security is thought to result in deterrence.