Observations from our latest Royal Caribbean cruise

Royal has had increased security for several years now (most of it invisible), but perhaps they're following the tourist industry trend to move to more visible security, including uniform security rather than plain clothes. Visible security is thought to result in deterrence.

Definitely not a negative in my mind - just a shift.

They even wear the Junior-G-Men Dark Glasses. In a couple years they will probably have earwigs! :cool:;p:')

You obviously missed the fact that those parents were in the "rules don't apply to us" group.:rolleyes:

Remember, we are in an "everybody deserves a trophy" era, meaning you don't have to earn anything and rules don't apply for these kind of people. They paid their money and therefore have the mindset that even though kids aren't allowed it doesn't apply to them. And of course the cruise lines don't enforce the policies they themselves set. Such is our world now, everybody wins, everybody deserves the same thing. You don't have to pay for or earn anything! You are entitled!

We are sailing on Allure in late August for b2b2b. We picked that time period with the hope that the number of kids would be minimized. I love kids, have grandkids, but can't stand kids on ships that are literally turned lose by their parents once they board. If Solarium is kid free we use it, if not we don't.

I

I think we must have been lucky, as only on the Ovation did we ever have a wait, and that was on only one night because we went right after a show ended. We never made a reservation.

Interesting observation, next time get to the show early and sit on an aisle. ;) Knowing the shortest route, or fastest route from the theater to the dining room helps.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

I know this is not in response to a post, but I am new to the site and trying to figure out how to post. I am sailing on mariner of the sea august 27 2018 after not having been on a cruise in quite a while. How do a post a thread to ask advise on finding beverage discounts, things that are must do's on the ship, advise on the cruise etc. I have been on majesty of the sea a long time ago, so this is a big ship an new to me. I am excited an would love any advise.

hi all

I know this is not in response to a post, but I am new to the site and trying to figure out how to post. I am sailing on mariner of the sea august 27 2018 after not having been on a cruise in quite a while. How do a post a thread to ask advise on finding beverage discounts, things that are must do's on the ship, advise on the cruise etc. I have been on majesty of the sea a long time ago, so this is a big ship an new to me. I am excited an would love any advise.

Just click on the "New Thread" button, and be sure to add a descriptive subject line.

Typically, MTD the first night seems like they've never done MTD before regardless of the ship and even regardless of cruise line. It seems they are inundated the first night with many wanting to dine at the same time. Another night where the MTD seems to get backed up is on formal night, especially when lobster is on the menu.

We were on the Oasis in January and actually could not believe how smoothly MTD went. Not sure what they did to help this along since we've done MTD before on the Oasis and gave up waiting and opted to head to the Windjammer since we had a show reservation we didn't want to miss.

Wish Royal would do what Princess does. They have one MTD dining room exclusively. One exclusively for assigned early and late dining. And the other is early only and then converts to MTD. Seems to be a great solution. Maybe Princess' demographic has more eating early, so this works on their ships.

Wondering if Royal is taking a proactive approach with more security since there have been a couple of over the top brawls on ship in recent months.

Thanks to to OP for sharing.

Remember, we are in an "everybody deserves a trophy" era, meaning you don't have to earn anything and rules don't apply for these kind of people. They paid their money and therefore have the mindset that even though kids aren't allowed it doesn't apply to them. And of course the cruise lines don't enforce the policies they themselves set. Such is our world now, everybody wins, everybody deserves the same thing. You don't have to pay for or earn anything! You are entitled!

We are sailing on Allure in late August for b2b2b. We picked that time period with the hope that the number of kids would be minimized. I love kids, have grandkids, but can't stand kids on ships that are literally turned lose by their parents once they board. If Solarium is kid free we use it, if not we don't.

Don’t blame the parents, blame the ships employees for not enforcing it.

I can’t tell you how many parents had no clue the solarium area was adults only.

Don’t blame the parents, blame the ships employees for not enforcing it.

I can’t tell you how many parents had no clue the solarium area was adults only.

Plenty of people who Don't read the signs on the doors? Ignorance is no excuse.

hi all

Hi, mysweetsmile. (nice screen name! :) )

You can also search (upper right corner of the main forum page)( https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83 ) using terms like "beverage package" and "name of ship" and "activities", etc.

I've read too many negatives to try MTD. It's a shame, because the traditional dining can be very inconvenient based on activities you have planned.

I recently cruised NCL and while there were things RCL does better, the Freestyle dining on NCL worked beautifully. No reservations needed and never a wait for a table or even a line to the hostess desk.

Food quality...that's a different story.

This is a great thread and is a great example of how the industry is evolving as the world keeps on turning and the ships get a whole lot bigger!

We're similar experienced cruisers over the last decade or so and have too noticed a few subtle changes too.

So my take on the above points are -

MTD = personally speaking I enjoy the ability to walk through the restaurant straight to my table with the table mates that have been allocated to me, or is that vice versa ha ha! Like everything else, we all earn our salaries and we all make our choices, but the problem I see as the ship get bigger is the choices increase too! The cruise lines don't help this having shows/entertainment during dining times so people are more than likely to go with the MTD option to allow for this. In turn this will also add to the numbers, or should that be chaos??

I too love people watching on board ship and the Rising Tide is a great novelty feature but soon becomes very boring. The reason for the time delays in boarding positions could may be down to a maintenance issue? My favourite place to people watch is the schooner bar on Oasis class ships - you really have great views of what can be at times a madcap scenario ha ha.

The Solarium is again a fantastic addition to the newer ships and I've also experienced our younger cruisers passing through, I generally find it's when they're in their groups so that may have a lot to do with a 'feel good factor' of being on such an amazing ship with a whole host of new friends etc. Personally I firmly believe that's what the big man invented earphones, sunglasses, book reader and alcohol for! They soon become invisible ha ha, but don't we think how ironic it would be if a load of adults spent the day in the arcade or even the kiddies pool in protest? ha ha Mind you, we all know why the pool water in children's pools is that little bit warmer ha ha

I'm a great advocate of security in whatever form! Unfortunately it's simply the way of the world nowadays and as those people who mean us all harm have doors closed on them, they try to look for other doors to open and targets change - so bring it on, check my bag, search my pockets and ask me whatever question you like! Security expert say that 'false alarms' and 'unattended bags' are as much annoying but also suspected 'tests' and the day we stop checking people, their bags and the unattended ones is the day they notice this and the door opens again for them!

I love cruising, and in particular Royal Caribbean so I'm prepared to put up with its changes, I enjoy it like nothing else and I relish meeting new people and hearing their stories.

I find the way to stop any frustrations getting the better of you is simply to do this -

smile and say hello to new people every day! the rewards are simply fantastic i find!

have fun everyone on your next cruise and every one beyond ...

Ps We're on Lady H in a matter of weeks so I'll try and report back any findings since last years cruise

Bon Voyage

Edited by IzznOll17

Plenty of people who Don't read the signs on the doors? Ignorance is no excuse.

Surprising, right? People are on vacation and don’t pay attention to a sign. Utterly shocking, I know.

Wife and I just returned from a fantastic vacation aboard Harmony of the Seas. Weather once we got out of the storms in FL was beautiful! We did get a fair bit of rain on the first day/night but then it was perfect.

All in all this was a great vacation. Royal Caribbean did a great job and almost everyone seemed to be having a great time.

I did notice a few things, as this was our 9th Royal Caribbean cruise, that I am wondering if others have noticed...

My Time Dining: Was a disaster. Wait first night was 40 minutes, and no reservations available (despite them continuing to tell us via Cruise Compass and notes in the room to book a reservation). Staff was quite rude/dismissive/unhelpful. Diamond concierge luckily solved problem in 5 minutes on second night - was a very frustrating situation that worked out fine. Don't think I'll do My Time again - have others seen this kind of issue?

Rising Tide: We love Rising Tide after dinner - it's nice to just sit and watch people while the bar moves slowly from Deck 5 to Deck 8. On Harmony this week it seemed like the staff had the turbo-thrusters on which meant we moved for maybe 2 minutes and sat for 20+ minutes. Is this the new normal, or just something the bar staff that particular week were doing?

Solarium: Seems like non-adults were constantly in and out of Solarium. When we first cruised the pool attendants made sure to stop it from happening, but it seems like they no longer do that. It was nice to have one area on the ship without the kids running / yelling / playing / etc. Is it just the way it is?

David

I just realized that a difference between Oasis and Harmony is the extra space in H's solarium. Did you think it was easier to find a couple loungers together? If so, best area to look first?

And I am wait listed for early dining next cruise. My ONLYreason, I got tired of the family asking me "What time is our dinner tonight?" Yes, I am the planner but I gave everyone a copy of event/place & time. I am on vacation too and I decided the ONLY way to stop the same question at different times from 3 family members was to make it the SAME time every night. It will be interesting to see if it swings back to prefer early/late dining. As long as I can catch a show before or after dinner, then I am happy.

Edited by BLAMBKY

Typically, MTD the first night seems like they've never done MTD before regardless of the ship and even regardless of cruise line. It seems they are inundated the first night with many wanting to dine at the same time. Another night where the MTD seems to get backed up is on formal night, especially when lobster is on the menu.

We were on the Oasis in January and actually could not believe how smoothly MTD went. Not sure what they did to help this along since we've done MTD before on the Oasis and gave up waiting and opted to head to the Windjammer since we had a show reservation we didn't want to miss.

Wish Royal would do what Princess does. They have one MTD dining room exclusively. One exclusively for assigned early and late dining. And the other is early only and then converts to MTD. Seems to be a great solution. Maybe Princess' demographic has more eating early, so this works on their ships.

Wondering if Royal is taking a proactive approach with more security since there have been a couple of over the top brawls on ship in recent months.

Thanks to to OP for sharing.

We waited SIXTY minutes for MTD on both the Regal & Crown Princess in 2016 & 2017..horrible set up...yes, they have separate dining rooms for MTD & traditional, BUT lines are ridiculous...we left one line at 6 pm to try another and that dining room didn't even open till 7 pm...NCL has the best dining options by far in this area..done 16 RCI & 6 NCL, and NCL has been doing Freestyle the longest...maybe that's why they got it down the best- was on The Getaway in Nov '17, and we never waited more than 10 minutes for anywhere...love the free drinks & 3 specialty dining options for free as perks...:cool:

We were on the Anthem Sept 17 First night we had booked MTD with the earliest time available. 5:15 I believe. We waited 5 minutes and were directed to a window seat for 2. First time ever getting a window. During our meal the Head waiter asked us if we liked our seating location. We said very much. He then asked us if we would be comfortable with the table and time for the complete cruise. We agreed without question. What he said next was a surprise to us. " when you come to dinner next time, just walk past the lineup and go directly to your table". If you are not here by 5:30 it will be given away. Next day we did as we were told, walk past maybe 30 people, sat down at the table and were greeted almost immediately by the waiter with a good evening Mr and Mrs ...... Not sure if this is the norm or just luck but it was the best service in years and worked perfectly for us. We skipped out Formal night ( told the waiter ahead ) and the next night after was back to "good evening Mr and Mrs No complaints from us !!!

Thanks! We have done it every time we can, and it's an absolutely *relaxing* lunch experience. Bonus is once you are done the rooms are ready, and almost every time our bags have been sitting at the door. It's $25pp but worth it in my opinion.

Enjoy the cruise!

What a great suggestion, thank you. I have the ultimate dining package on mariner of the sea. I was told specialty restaurants are only open on sea day. Is that not true and would I then be able to reserve a spot in one for lunch when I get on board?