UPDATE: Civit. to Rome Train Terminal 04/2018

LocoLoco1

A Constant question: How to get from a Ship to 'Downtown Rome by train?'. (Right... CruiseMOM? Ha!! ) My ANSWER: We 'self-disembarked' 04-11-2018 with very minimal luggage and we are physically fit retirees. We were OFF the HAL KONINGSDAM (2500PAX) by 7:50/am. Taken to the Port Gate by a Port Shuttle Bus for $Free$. Then 2/Euros for a local dedicated Bus (ARGObus) from that Gate to local Train Station about 1/2mile away. There we bought a 1-way Train Ticket for $9/Euros from a real, live human in the Station to ROMA TERMINI, the huge train station close to the Colosseum etc. which is about 50/miles from the ship's port in Civitavecchia. That took an hour, with stops at St.Peter's, and Trastevere stops etc. Stepped off the Train at Termini at 9:05/am. NO PROBLEMS!! About 50 people did the same as us... self-disembarked early with minimal luggage. ps I speak No Italian. None. Zero...

There we bought a 1-way Train Ticket for $9/Euros from a real, live human in the Station to ROMA TERMINI

I'm trying to figure out how you could have paid €9 to get to Termini from Civitavecchia.

The regional trains, the ones that make a lot of stops, are €5 in second class or €7,70 in first class (for those few trains that offer this).

The Frecce trains are €12,90.

We didn't have disembarkation there, but the first time we took the free shuttle (to the second, paid shuttle) and then walked to the train station. The second time we just walked to the train station, it was pretty straight forward. Paid 10 euros round trip at the desk to get to Rome. Got off at Roma Ostiense which had a connecting Metro to the Coliseum.

You can find all the information to back up LocoLoco1's experience here.

• 3 weeks later...

If we were coming in for the day our routine would be to get off at S. Pietro, go to the Vatican, Castel S. Angelo, then walk though P. Navona etc. to the Spanish Steps. Then the subway to the Colosseum, then perhaps Trestavere, and then to the train station back (either Ostiense or Trastevere depending where we ended up). We would avoid Termini altogether.

Any thoughts on the following itinerary? We have never been to Rome and will be taking the Roma Express into San Pietro Station. We would like to see the Vatican museum, St. Peters, Spanish Steps, Colleseum and Trevi Fountain. Any thoughts on logistics? We will have 6 hours to do all this.

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the following itinerary? We have never been to Rome and will be taking the Roma Express into San Pietro Station. We would like to see the Vatican museum, St. Peters, Spanish Steps, Colleseum and Trevi Fountain. Any thoughts on logistics? We will have 6 hours to do all this.

Thanks!

Yes you will be able to “see” all of them. No you will not be able to visit all of them in any depth. I have always felt that there were 2 areas of Rome where a tourist could spend the better part of a full day. One is the Vatican, the other is Ancient Rome. Then to either can be added the things you see fairly quickly like the Trevi, the steps and even the Pantheon. However I realize that lots of tours do include both Vatican and Colleseum with a tour inside either or both quickly. One additional problem can be lines at both. You can speed that up by buying advance tickets, but still must clear security. There is just so much more to see at the Forum and the Palatine that I think they get short changed

Thanks!

My first thought is that you cannot see it all in any meaningful way in 6 hours.

Pick either the Vatican museum OR the Colosseum for an inside visit. Either one is likely to take you at least 2 hours; the Vatican museum maybe even longer depending on crowds and how fast you can move/how much you want to see.

Take the Spanish Steps off your list. There's nothing at all interesting about them -- just a large flight of steps.

If you get off at San Pietro, make the Vatican museum your first stop, then assess how much time you have left. View St. Peter's (either just from the outside or a quick visit inside if the security line is not too long). Grab a taxi from the taxi rank just outside the colonnade around the square in front of St. Peter's and have them take you to the Colosseum.

From the Colosseum, you can walk to Trevi Fountain (use google maps to plot your route). From there, I'd get another cab back to San Pietro station which is where I assume you have to get your express train back...

It will be a VERY tight day. Consider carefully if you wouldn't rather visit fewer sites and get more out of them...?

And definitely, definitely get advance tickets for the Colosseum or for the Vatican museums -- whichever you plan to visit inside.

If we were coming in for the day our routine would be to get off at S. Pietro, go to the Vatican, Castel S. Angelo, then walk though P. Navona etc. to the Spanish Steps. Then the subway to the Colosseum, then perhaps Trestavere, and then to the train station back (either Ostiense or Trastevere depending where we ended up). We would avoid Termini altogether.

I am sure that I have said this before, but whilst agreeing that getting off at S Pietro is a good plan because you can walk through St Peters Square and that in itself is lovely. If you are there on a Wednesday you may well encounter the Pope which I have enjoyed.

Going back, if you are in Rome on a crowded day going back via Termini can be a good plan because you are likely to get a seat on the train. When we have visited in the spring and autumn this has not been an issue, but when we used to go in the middle of summer the trains were very crowded. I have sat on (local) trains that were already too full to take on more passengers by the time they left Termini. That is why I always advise making sure you plan to leave in good time. Termini is a huge station and it is a bit of a hike from the entrance to the platform to Civitavecchia. Always allow for that in your timings.

We have had numerous visits to Rome. Usually for 3-4 days at a time during the April-Nov. time frame. Each time we have experienced something new. Same with Venice, Florence, etc.

Absolutely agree that six hours is not enough to see, let alone experience much. But rushing about from site to site is not such a great plan. We would always recommend that people leave a short visit to St. Peters until the the end. Chances are the crowds will have thinned and you will be able to sail through the security line with no wait. There is just something special about taking time to walk through or sit in P Navona or P. de Fiori.

We feel this way about many cities. To often we see people rushing through in what appears to be to simply tick something off their list. We agree that you are better off to select an area, spend you time there. And then return for at least a few days.

• 2 weeks later...