Spend $500 on new MSC booking, get back 10,000 AMEX Reward Points.

Stockjock

I have activated my amex.offer....my question is, I put down $99 deposit on the cruise on amex.card and now the final payment is coming due which is $495 does that qualify? The reason why I'm asking is that it's two different transactions that were made several weeks apart. Or does it need to be $500 at final payment to qualify? When I put the 5% off with the loyalty promo it brought the total down to $495! Can someone clear this up for me?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Forums mobile app

That’s something you should call Amex about. The expiration is June 8 th for the $100 credit. Terms and conditions doesn’t say if the offer is one stop shop or spend a little to total $500. Granted though you will get different responses from Amex. But at least they are great to talk to.

When I did my offer I paid the cruise deposits of $501 and that didn’t trigger the award to show used.

There are two different offers. One is for MSC alone, the other is for what you posted.

But for MSC? I'm seeing this offer (and not the OP's offer), but what mine says is for Carnival, Holland America, Princess, Seabourn or Cunard bookings.

Perhaps a good question is the real worth of 10,000 AMEX points. Many experts value AMEX points at a value between 1/2 cent per point to 1 cent per point. So 10,000 would be worth between $50 and $100. As long time AMEX customers we would value it worth close to 1 cent per point...if one is very careful in how they spend their point.

But consider other options. For example, Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred cards give you free Trip Cancellation/Interruption insurance (us to $10,000) for trips charged on their card. This is arguably worth more then 10,000 AMEX points.

Hank

We just booked our (first) MSC cruise and paid $500 as a deposit through a TA over the weekend. I called AMEX yesterday to inquire when the $100 credit would be issued. She said by the end of my current billing cycle. I’m not sure she’s correct because the terms say within 90 days but luckily that’s before the June 8th expiration date, so if it doesn’t appear on my statement, I can call again [emoji848]

When you look at your Amex statement online, you’ll be able to see how the charge went through, it needs to be to MSC Cruises USA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Perhaps a good question is the real worth of 10,000 AMEX points. Many experts value AMEX points at a value between 1/2 cent per point to 1 cent per point. So 10,000 would be worth between $50 and $100. As long time AMEX customers we would value it worth close to 1 cent per point...if one is very careful in how they spend their point.

But consider other options. For example, Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred cards give you free Trip Cancellation/Interruption insurance (us to $10,000) for trips charged on their card. This is arguably worth more then 10,000 AMEX points.

Hank

The offer I redeemed is spend $500, get $100 statement credit. So the value is $100. ;)

Hank

The insurance we get from CSR is very valuable to us. We recently booked a cruise and split the payment between my card and my husbands CSR account. 2 accounts. It was a $20,000 cruise and this gave us coverage. Remember, you do not have to put the entire charge on card, on airfare, we put fees and taxes on Award travel airfare. Also, lost baggage and trip delay coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

Yayyyy just checked mine as well and $100 credit was posted a few days ago [emoji322]. I wondered if I’d have to pay the $500 and then get the $100 credit the next month, but no [emoji4]

Yayyyy just checked mine as well and $100 credit was posted a few days ago [emoji322]. I wondered if I’d have to pay the $500 and then get the $100 credit the next month, but no [emoji4]

I am glad it worked out for you guys.