Canceled Flight, Missed Cruise, Jones Act?

JACJAM

Well we were do to board Celebrity's Millennium on Friday July 10 out of Vancouver on a north bond sailing to Alaska and then a 3 night land tour also booked with Celebrity. Our Flight on Delta to Salt Lake City was canceled and we stood in line for over 5 hours to get rebooked. We were able to get a flight to Ketchikan but becasue of the "Jones Act" we would not be able to board the ship in the US since the rest of the cruise was in the US. We needed to board in a foriegn country, Vancouver. My parents, me, my husband and our 14 month old DD was traveling together. I used my American Express card to pay for the cruise so now there fighting for us to get our money back.

I would like to know has this happend to you, what was your outcome, do you have any tips or suggestions to try and recover our money or even another cruise. Delta said they would refund our money for the flight but were stil out the cruise money.

Yes, I know we should have flown out the day before but because of work we couldn't. We booked the airfare on our own because it was half the price the crusie line was charging. And no we didn't have insurance, didn't feel we needed it, we weren't going to cancel.

Thanks for any insight, tips and thoughts you have.

Upset Cruiser!!!!

That is what insurance is for not just cancellation sometimes if you write the cruise line they will give you a partial credit but they are not required to. I am sorry this happened to you. yes you saved some money by booking the airfare you self....except when something goes wrong and you are own you own. Its an expensive lesson.

I am sorry that you missed your cruise due to the airlines. But I am sort of pleased to hear that Vancouver is now a country, it's about time.

OK, lets see where you stand. You violated your cruise contract by not showing up at the embarkation port (through no fault of your own) so the cruise line isn't responsible. The airline is only responsible for your flight and the contract with them states that they can cancel flights with little or no compensation to you (my favorite is the beautiful catch-all "mechanical problems").

The response that you will get here will primarily be of the "that is why you buy trip insurance" variety. That does you absolutely no good after the fact.

You might try writing very polite, factual letters to the cruise line and the airline to see what they might be willing to do for you. Follow that up with a call to customer service. I guess talking to AMEX couldn't hurt but the only entity who failed to provide a purchased service is the airline.

Good luck

Sorry to hear about your missing the cruise. I always have this fear that something out of the ordinary could come up, that's why we always fly in the day before departure as a "just in case."

I am so sorry to hear that you missed your Alaska cruise.

I have no idea if you will be able to get your money back, but you can try. I would write to the Executive Offices at Celebrity cruises - Customer Relations. Maybe they can at least give you a future cruise credit in the amount of the cruise you missed.

I know we all can't fly in the day ahead and such, but usually when we have done big cruises - Alaska, Europe, we would book our flights and transfers with the cruise line and buy travel insurance. Yes, it's more expensive and 9 times out of 10 nothing will happen, but it at least buys us peace of mind.

Again, my heart breaks for you on missing your cruise.

Anne Maria

On our northbound cruise from Vancouver in 2007, a number of people joined the ship in Ketchikan. I also thought they couldn't do that due to the PVSA - but what do I know!

While trip insurance wouldn't have gotten you on the ship if they wouldn't let you board in a US port, it would've paid your "trip interruption" costs. I'm sorry you learned an expensive lesson the hard way.

Catching cruise at first port

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=990561&highlight=

It's A Long Way to Ensenada

by Alan Walker

First-time cruisers are unlikely to have heard of the "Jones Act," and even experienced cruisers may only be vaguely aware of some sort of "weird old law" that somehow controls whether cruise ships may (or may not) stop at US ports. But if you've ever had to take the five-hour bus ride from Los Angeles to Ensenada, or vice versa, at the start or end of a cruise, you will certainly have asked why you must suffer such an inconvenience - and the simple answer is, "it's the law."

from

http://www.jonesactquestions.com/home/1-jones-act/364-jones-act-early-disembark-penalties.html

I posted this elsewhere, and believe me I have every sympathy as I know how nmuch we all look forward to our holidays, but I can only reiterate, I would rather have my 2nd choice cruise and fly out a day before than have my 1st choice and risk missing my cruise.

I would sooner not book than work on the basis of getting a flight to meet a cruise same day.

I get so many stories like this. it is heart breaking, but people do not learn, and because if this, and becuase of a potential insurance claim, yours and my insurance premiums cost more and more becuase of more and more unnecessary claims

I, too, am very sorry that you missed your cruise. It must have been a big disappointment to you and your family.

On our cruise, we were told that about 15 people joined our cruise in Ketchikan, so I am not sure why they were allowed to board, but you weren't. Perhaps they had booked everything through the cruiseline and that makes a difference? I really don't know the answer.

As suggested, you can try the polite letter and see what happens.

However, please consider it a nice gift if you are given any credit. As already mentioned, trip insurance is what covers these kinds of situations. If cruiselines and airlines cover these losses for people who do not take out insurance, then why should the rest of us take out insurance? JMHO

I posted this elsewhere, and believe me I have every sympathy as I know how nmuch we all look forward to our holidays, but I can only reiterate, I would rather have my 2nd choice cruise and fly out a day before than have my 1st choice and risk missing my cruise.

I would sooner not book than work on the basis of getting a flight to meet a cruise same day.

I get so many stories like this. it is heart breaking, but people do not learn, and because if this, and becuase of a potential insurance claim, yours and my insurance premiums cost more and more becuase of more and more unnecessary claims

I don't follow your post. First of all the OP did NOT have insurance so there is no 'unnecessary claim' so your premiums aren't impacted one bit. Secondly, this is EXACTLY what insurance is for and if they had insurance they have every right to make a claim and it certainly isn't unncesary.

If we want to talk about unnecessary insuranc claims, lets talk about most trips to the doctors! :D

I don't follow your post. First of all the OP did NOT have insurance so there is no 'unnecessary claim' so your premiums aren't impacted one bit. Secondly, this is EXACTLY what insurance is for and if they had insurance they have every right to make a claim and it certainly isn't unncesary.

If we want to talk about unnecessary insuranc claims, lets talk about most trips to the doctors! :D

You are right, this situation does not affect insurance premiums going up. However, if the cruiseline reimburses the OP for their trip, those kinds of payments increase the cruising costs for the rest of us.

It is beyond my comprehension why people who don't buy insurance, expect to recover losses from the cruiselines, airlines, hotels, etc, that would have been covered had they taken out insurance. If you don't buy insurance, it is a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It is a simple matter really. OP lost. End of story. JMHO

You are right, this situation does not affect insurance premiums going up. However, if the cruiseline reimburses the OP for their trip, those kinds of payments increase the cruising costs for the rest of us.

Totally agree!

It is beyond my comprehension why people who don't buy insurance, expect to recover losses from the cruiselines, airlines, hotels, etc, that would have been covered had they taken out insurance. If you don't buy insurance, it is a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It is a simple matter really. OP lost. End of story. JMHO

I have never bought insurance and probably never will. I looked at quotes and they were 10% + the price of the trip. I have taken far more then 10 major trips in my life nad never had an issue. If I get bit on one, I'll consider it insurance dues.

If it's a once in a lifetime trip and you don't travel often, its probably wise to get insurance. But if you travel often, it's probably cheaper to go without. My parents have been on 40+ cruises and buy insurance often. I tell them not to but they continue to. Number of claims = 0.

Wow, I feel terrible that you missed the cruise. That is horrible.

However I have to echo what most here are saying. The cruise line did not do anything wrong here - they in no way contributed to you not arriving to the port on time and they have no control over the law forbidding you from boarding in Alaska. I too usually do not purchase insurance for cruising (my regular medical insurance covers me for medical emergencies) and I fly in 1-2 days early to minimize missing a flight in and wait until afternoon to book a return flight to minimize chance of missing my return flight. If something happened that caused me to not arrive to port on time, I would realize that that is a risk I took by not taking insurance and would not expect anybody to compensate me. I would be very upset I missed the ship, but would take personal responsibility for it.

I see nothing wrong if you right the cruise line a letter explaining what happened and asking if they can offer you a discount towards a future cruise. I would not ask for any money back (as the cruise line also lost money as when the ship sails with an empty cabin, no on board revenue is generated and the cruise line had nothing to do with you missing the ship).

Hopefully for future cruises you are able to work out your schedule to fly out at least a day early or if not, hopefully you opt for travel insurance.

Good luck and sorry you missed out on the cruise.

I think more people woould buy insurance on an Alaska cruise if they were aware of what could potentially happen under the JOnes Act. Leaving from Vancouver on a northbound Alaska cruise is probably the itinerary where this "act" can impact you as much as any.

Having said that , insurance won't give you your cruise in a situation like this. So in reality pick a cruise date when you can take a day off or maybe even 2 before sailing. I know that is not always possible in July and Aug, so maybe June or September.

I place some of the blame on TA's and on those that sell cruises to highly impacted itineraries. They should carefully explain the ramifications of the Jones Act , I think a lot of people would fly in perhaps not the day before if they had to work, but maybe the night before on a red eye. My husband and I have always been fortunate and had the luxury of being able to fly in 1 2 or 3 days early for cruises. In the winter time, we find 36 hours before sailing is optimal, as we have brutal winter weather in our area.

All the airlines are unreliable in their service and we cannot count on them to be on time, provide a flight, food, water , service or anything else for that matter.

Here in Canada we have one National Carrier Air Canada, again on the brink of Bankruptcy, charging twice what American Carriers charge for comparable flight distances. I received an email from them yesterday cancelling my flight for my sept cruise and replacing it with one that gives me a 5 hour layover in Toronto...Joy! :(

Even charging twice as much they still cannot make a profit. Anyway that for another rant

I have never bought insurance and probably never will. I looked at quotes and they were 10% + the price of the trip. I have taken far more then 10 major trips in my life nad never had an issue. If I get bit on one, I'll consider it insurance dues.

If it's a once in a lifetime trip and you don't travel often, its probably wise to get insurance. But if you travel often, it's probably cheaper to go without. My parents have been on 40+ cruises and buy insurance often. I tell them not to but they continue to. Number of claims = 0.

People who travel a lot often do not buy insurance. Like you say, if you add up all the premiums you would be paying on your numerous trips, you will have saved enough to cover a trip you have to cancel.

However, one reason that many do like to buy insurance, especially if they travel far from home, is for the medical evacuation coverage. Most people who can afford to travel, can cover the loss of an airline ticket, a hotel or a car rental. However, a lot of people could not cover the $30,000 or much more for medical evacuation and/or return medical transportation home. Frankly, that is why I buy it. I am not a gambler, so I just consider it a part of my vacation cost.

Totally agree!

Travel insurance covers quite a bit more than just the actual cost of the cruise. All it would take is one airlift needed, and if you weren't covered with insurance, then it could be quite costly. I would always advise parents to purchase the insurance. Peace of mind is priceless.

Several years ago due to delayed flights I missed a Holland American cruise departure. I was put on a bus (with about a dozen people in the same situation) and we were taken to hotels based on what price room we booked on the ship. We were given no contact telephone numbers or advice on how to catch up with the ship. I had used a travel agency and the cruise line booked my flights.

Due to the length of the cruise and poor weather, I was never able to catch up with the ship. Here is how it worked out financially.

The airline, Delta, endorsed my return ticket so I could use it to fly home from the departure city of the original cruise without penalty or additional fee.

The travel agency declared bankruptcy and I got nothing.

Holland America paid for my hotel and meals where I was stuck.

My travel insurance paid for the basic cost of my cruise but not for the tours and other items that were pre-paid including tips.

It took over a year to sort it out.

One more thing. If you used a Travel Agent, they could've re-booked you on another flight or carrier. Travel Agents can use the cruise line air or book independent air.

One call to them & they'll do the work for you.

No need to 'stand in line for 5 hours'.

Cruisingly Yours

Quote by Karyanne,

"Travel insurance covers quite a bit more than just the actual cost of the cruise"

"Peace of mind is priceless"

Hi Karyn, you are sooooo right.:)

I have always purchased insurance. My Dad is 88 and not in great

health. If something should happen while I am on one of my trips

it will definitely cover the "interruption" portion. (Not wishing

that would happen of course, but you just never know).

Maybe its because I go solo but the price of the policy has never

been more than 90 bucks....definitely worth it to me.

Different strokes for different folks:)

Oh, to the Original Poster, I am so sorry this happened to you:(

to any lurkers, following this post - seasoned cruisers mostly agree that it is worth the peace of mind, to fly in a day early (yes, you have xtra expenses, but think of what you lose, if connections don't work out) - never used to take the cancellation insurance, but nowadays, don't cruise w/o it! (too much can & does go wrong). I have even purchased a air/cruise package from the cruise lines (sometimes you can find a special offer).

I am so sorry the OP missed out on, what sounded like, a wonderful cruise experience and it wasn't their fault - it was the airline. Lucky to even get back the cost of those tickets! Regarding the actual cruise package - g'luck - it wasn't the fault of the cruise line that you didn't make your trip. Your credit card company may be able to help out and in the end, your cruse company might comp you a deal on a future cruise?

P.S. it can pay to shop around for trip insurance - comes in all kinds of categories, so it does pay to shop. small price to pay to save you thousands, just in case something goes wrong.

Gotta love the new "home ports" for the experience of cruising without fliying! phooey on the airlines!!

I'm sorry that this happened to you. Unfortunately, it is a live and learn situation. As many have posted, that's why insurance is purchased---typically this is a covered event.

Even when flying in a day early, we always buy trip insurance. Twice our luggage has been lost and the insurance paid for all the items we needed until we had our bag delivered by the airline at a port--one time is was 4 days later on a 10 day cruise.

Looking at your signature, you are very experienced cruiser. So I am curious on what grounds are you protesting your charge? You did not arrive in time to board the ship.

It's a terrible thing that this happened but from the cruise lines point of view:

they provided the cabin, you did not use it

They also provide cruise air and travel insurance that you did not use.

They could have sold your cabin to someone who might have bought the cruise air (a good profit) the insurance and had onboard expenses. In a way they are also a damaged party in this terrible incident.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

Quote by Karyanne,

Maybe its because I go solo but the price of the policy has never

been more than 90 bucks....definitely worth it to me.

Where do you get insurance for $90? For that price it might be worth it but not for the prices I have seen.

Where do you get insurance for $90? For that price it might be worth it but not for the prices I have seen.

Celebrity's Cruise Care is based on the price of the cruise and can be as inexpensive as $59 per person. We're paying $89 PP for the Millenium Wine cruise in September of next year. At our age this is the least expensive way to go. If you are a young person you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere. Cruise Care does cover independently booked air.

Archived