I got bit by a monkey in Roatan

63galaxie

Nothing serious, however. The bite didn't break the skin, but it did hurt!

I was on a Victor Boadden tour last week. The monkey was climbing everywhere (including on me). Suddenly, he reached down and bit my finger (without provocation).

Please remember to be very careful. I wasn't given any warning about this happening. My husband said, "I told you so."

I'm attaching a picture of the "culprit."

100_3824.jpg.853d05c1c2179edd003316a00429abb8.jpg

I was on a Victor Boadden tour last week. The monkey was climbing everywhere (including on me). Suddenly, he reached down and bit my finger (without provocation).

Please remember to be very careful. I wasn't given any warning about this happening. My husband said, "I told you so."

Oh No...I like monkeys, but have to admit Im a bit scared of them. Glad it didnt break the skin, in that case I would have gone to the doctor on the ship, but if the skin is not broken, as you say it is not serious. I have gotten nips from dogs that didnt break the skin, and I know they can be quite sore.

I think I would have freaked out if a monkey jumped on me, but then again I would probably avoid the situation anyway. Thanks for the warning.:)

Oh No...I like monkeys, but have to admit Im a bit scared of them. Glad it didnt break the skin, in that case I would have gone to the doctor on the ship, but if the skin is not broken, as you say it is not serious. I have gotten nips from dogs that didnt break the skin, and I know they can be quite sore.

I think I would have freaked out if a monkey jumped on me, but then again I would probably avoid the situation anyway. Thanks for the warning.:)

Not to scare you, but wild monkeys as well as some other wild animals can carry so many diseases...take a look at this article:

"If I Have Been Exposed To A Monkey Through A Bite Or Close Contact, What Should I Do?

If this was an isolated, US-born, healthy, pet monkey and it is known to be tuberculosis and herpes-B negative, you are probably not at any significant risk. I have been bitten and exposed to hundreds of monkeys and have never become ill.

If you were bitten, you need to consider if you want to inform local officials. Most officials pass the buck on what to do back to their local Health Department. And most Health Departments are not sympathetic to pet monkeys. Many will insist the monkey be killed and its head sent off for rabies testing. This is unfortunate, because monkeys are not a significant source of rabies. The only US case I know of occurred in 1911 and that monkey was bitten by a rabid dog. But that’s the way the law works. So you must decide if you want to be responsible for this to happen.

What you should most certainly do if you have been bitten or scratched, is to scrub the wound immediately with antiseptic Betadine (povone iodine) Or Septisol/Phisohexx (hexachlorphene cleanser) and rinse, and then flush the wound liberally with warm water. How long? The Canadians suggest the longest - 15-20 minutes.

If you are concerned, if the monkey's health is in doubt, if the wound is major, if it becomes infected or if your feel ill, go see your doctor. Your General Practitioner will not know what to do either – how often does he/she see monkey bites? Have them call ZVED for advice (National Center for Zoonotic, Vector-Borne, and Enteric Diseases).

If this was a bite, wound, scratch or exposure of your lips, mouth, nose or eyes to the saliva, sneeze or cough of a rhesus monkey or another macaque monkey or a puncture from an instrument that was in contact with any of those species and the Herpes-B and tuberculosis status of the animal is unknown, uncertain or positive, have your physician call ZVED (800-232-4636)."

This is really scary, I will have to remember this for the future. We fed the monkeys in Costa Rica on vaction one year. They did not bite us, but we were close enough to them that they could have.

I am sure glad that the bite did not break the skin. I think I would get a tetunous (sp?) shot just in case from reading the information that was posted above.

I'm amazed at the number of individuals that visit Victor's monkeys and let the critters crawl all over them because that doesn't appeal to me at all. Even if they don't bite, it seems like they'd have sharp claws and the possibility of them pooping and peeing on me is a turn off. I like looking at animals but don't want them all over me. :eek:

I got bit by a monkey at the fair one year.

It was coming over to take my quarter and snatched it then bit my index finger knuckle. It didn't break the skin because the large canine's had been removed.

The owner appologized and said he hadn't seen me approach the front of the line or he would have told me to stay back because the monkey didn't like the color yellow (my tee shirt).

Hi,

Glad you are alright and the wound was not serious.

I would suggest that this is another reason for travel insurance. You would be covered abroad and back at home upon your return, for any complications arising from the wound. (Rabies, Hepatitis, Tetanus, etc.)

Thanks for the "heads up!"

Lee

I'm amazed at the number of individuals that visit Victor's monkeys and let the critters crawl all over them because that doesn't appeal to me at all. Even if they don't bite, it seems like they'd have sharp claws and the possibility of them pooping and peeing on me is a turn off. I like looking at animals but don't want them all over me. :eek:

Awww, but they're adorable! I had no issues and really enjoyed them:)

OP, sorry you didn't have a better experience....glad it wasn't too bad of a bite...

I'm with you!!! Love looking, but please don't let them touch me.

A couple of years ago, my sister went swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. She was feeding them and one of them bit her. :eek: !EEEK! :eek:

I'm also one of those people who doesn't want to feed the fish while I'm snorkeling -- ew! I'd be surrounded by fish. Too close for comfort!!!!

To the OP -- very glad you weren't hurt badly, and didn't need a tetanus shot or anything like that...

I get along with all animals.

However, monkeys do not like me. I wonder what that means?

My x-mil had two monkeys (at different times) and they both hated me. One of them would fly into a rage at the mere sight of me.:confused::eek:

In Roatan we went to Gumbalinda (sp) Park and while none of those monkeys bit me, I thought they were "rougher" with me than with other people.

Guess I'll just stick with cats & dogs.:)

Sure they're cute to look at but I'd be very upset if it pooped or peed on me!

Glad OP is ok could have been much worse.

We visited Victor last year and are scheduled again on Dream this year. Just yesterday we were talking and I mentioned someone posting about the monkey pooping on them and my DW was "OMG, I never thought of that!!! :eek: No way I'm going back in that cage!!"

Funny how we don't always think these things thru when the critters are so harmless looking and cute :)

My son got bit by a monkey in barbados. I told him to stay away from the monkeys... They just put it on his shoulder and bit him on the cheek. Didn't break the skin. He was frightened- he's only 10...

Sure they're cute to look at but I'd be very upset if it pooped or peed on me!

My son was peed on by a monkey at Victors last year. Right on the head! LOL! But then again my Daughter was pooped on by a pigeon on a field trip last week. Guess it happens whether the critters are wild and free or your in a cage with them.;)

Archived