International Cafe/Vines questions ....

YWW

Can some of you please clarify the following for me on the above eateries for Golden or other Princess ships?

I'm reading up on these two interesting places in the Princess website and it says "norminal charge" next to them. Can I assume the passenger has to buy something (e.g. gourmet coffee at the IC or wine at the V) in order to get the food or snack free?

Since we are not big gourmet coffee drinkers, can we just get regular coffee or tea free at IC or do we have to pay for that too?

Princess says Vines is a wine and seafood bar. What snacks do they serve other than tapas?

Thanks.

Used International Cafe for breakfast and snacks later - great place. Not sure what the 'nominal charge' is referring to, but on Golden Princess, the breakfast rolls and all the goodies and cookies were free. I did get the special coffees sometimes, using that great Coffee Card, but all the snacks were free. Later in the day, they brought out sandwiches and other things loved the place.

Vines was across from International and had a lot of nice wines by the glass beyond what you'd get dining. there were snacks there or your brought them from the International.

Our favorite area of the ship. It was popular. No charge for anything that I could tell except for the specialty coffees and wine. there was a regular bar in the International Cafe area also.

Den

The only charge that I've noticed at IC is the gelato - I think it's $1.50 for three scoops. The first time that I sailed on the Emerald Princess (2008), they had some tapas items (i.e. baby lamb chops) in the evening for which there was a nominal charge, but I haven't seen this on subsequent cruises on ships that have IC.

Vines seems to be slightly different from ship-to-ship, but the only food item that had a charge was the selection of premium cheese at $3.00 for three pieces. There isn't a charge for tapas selections or sushi, but some folks have posted that guests are expected to purchase wine in order to get the food items.

Chris

We used both, but always ordered wine at Vines and then were offered tapas or sushi. At IC it seemed much more encouraged to just have food. Only charge was for gellato, or beverages. No free drinks at IC. Could not even get iced tea when we offered to pay for it!

The gelato is not offered on all ships with the International Cafe. It was not on the Star last Dec/Jan. Maybe during the next retrofit, but doubt it. Takes up more room than they have available. Have only seen it on the newer ships.

As Liz54 has posted below, no free coffee. "Brewed" coffee free with coffee card (not counted as a punch) or for $1 + 15%.

Since we are not big gourmet coffee drinkers, can we just get regular coffee or tea free at IC or do we have to pay for that too?

Thanks.

As others have said, everything is free at the International Cafe except the gelato. You specifically mentioned the Golden, and it doesn't offer gelato. So there is no charge for any food item at the IC on the Golden. You do not have to purchase a specialty coffee to get the free food there. I don't know if regular coffee has a charge, since we are not coffee drinkers.

Vines has sushi and tapas. They are free with a wine purchase. There is a sign on the bar counter that states this.

Here are a few photos of the goodies at the International Cafe. They are delicious!

5425196029_1c3faa745d_z.jpg

5425799802_490ddd381e_z.jpg

5440205642_70e46831f2_z.jpg

As much as DH and I loved the Island Princess last month, it doesn't have an International Cafe. We missed the salads and sandwiches that served as a healthy pick-me-up for people like us who don't do lunch. We'd stop at IC after shore excursions for one of the delicious salads or a light sandwich to tide us over until dinner. IC is definitely a plus for Princess :)

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Thank you all for the detailed explanation. Wow, those stunning pics are making me hungry already and I can picture myself spending lots of time in front of the IC especially for someone like me with a weakness for nice pastries and fancy snacks. Looking forward to trying the sushi and tapas at the Vines too. Read some posts that they even serve good Fish & Chip too at one of the lounges. I know what I'm going to do on those sea days---eat, eat, and eat.

Thank you all for the detailed explanation. Wow, those stunning pics are making me hungry already and I can picture myself spending lots of time in front of the IC especially for someone like me with a weakness for nice pastries and fancy snacks. Looking forward to trying the sushi and tapas at the Vines too. Read some posts that they even serve good Fish & Chip too at one of the lounges. I know what I'm going to do on those sea days---eat, eat, and eat.

That would be the Pub Lunch that is offered on sea days. The Fish & Chips is very good, and I also like the Ploughman's Lunch. I'm not a beer drinker, but some premium British brews are available at the Pub Lunch.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Read some posts that they even serve good Fish & Chip too at one of the lounges.
The Fish and Chips are only served on certain sea days. It is called "Pub Lunch", and will be listed in your Princess Patter. It's usually held from 11:30am until 2:00pm. It's in different venues on different ships. On the Golden it was in the Crown Grill, but some ships serve it in the Wheelhouse Bar. It is very good English Style Fish and Chips. They also have things like Cottage Pie and Bangers and Mash. Here's what the Fish and Chips looked like on the Golden last month. Delicious!!!

5469576875_212e425a83_z.jpg

Jasperdo, thanks for your great photos & I'll miss not having an IC on the Sapphire in May. Not that there'll be a lack of food but looking forward to the Crown & the Emerald's ICs which I believe both have the $1.50 servings of gelato. :D That will require even more effort & dedication on my part to make regular visits to the gym. :p

Used International Cafe for breakfast and snacks later - great place. Not sure what the 'nominal charge' is referring to, but on Golden Princess, the breakfast rolls and all the goodies and cookies were free. I did get the special coffees sometimes, using that great Coffee Card, but all the snacks were free. Later in the day, they brought out sandwiches and other things loved the place.

Vines was across from International and had a lot of nice wines by the glass beyond what you'd get dining. there were snacks there or your brought them from the International.

Our favorite area of the ship. It was popular. No charge for anything that I could tell except for the specialty coffees and wine. there was a regular bar in the International Cafe area also.

Den

Please tell me about the coffee card? We're starbucks drinkers and love strong coffee. And is it brewed coffee? Thanks

The coffee that you purchase at IC is brewed coffee, you should buy a coffee card if not its 1.00 + 15% per cup, with the card you can get unlimited cups of brewed coffee and 12 speciality coffees. In the dining room its syrup coffee, which is like coke syrup. We didnt care for it. THere are many things on here about the coffee.

Jasperdo, thanks for your great photos & I'll miss not having an IC on the Sapphire in May. Not that there'll be a lack of food but looking forward to the Crown & the Emerald's ICs which I believe both have the $1.50 servings of gelato. :D That will require even more effort & dedication on my part to make regular visits to the gym. :p
You're welcome. Have fun on the Sapphire.

As others have said, everything is free at the International Cafe except the gelato. You specifically mentioned the Golden, and it doesn't offer gelato. So there is no charge for any food item at the IC on the Golden. You do not have to purchase a specialty coffee to get the free food there. I don't know if regular coffee has a charge, since we are not coffee drinkers.

Vines has sushi and tapas. They are free with a wine purchase. There is a sign on the bar counter that states this.

Here are a few photos of the goodies at the International Cafe. They are delicious!

5425196029_1c3faa745d_z.jpg

5425799802_490ddd381e_z.jpg

5440205642_70e46831f2_z.jpg

You had to go and do that:(

We used both, but always ordered wine at Vines and then were offered tapas or sushi. At IC it seemed much more encouraged to just have food. Only charge was for gellato, or beverages. No free drinks at IC. Could not even get iced tea when we offered to pay for it!

I had the same problem when asking for iced tea at the IC last Oct on the Ruby. We always have a coffee card and tea and brewed coffee are free with the card (no punches). So I ordered a to go hot and a big glass of ice. Well, I really surprised the waiter when I poured the hot tea in the glass of ice and said now I have my iced tea. :D

Archived