Recommendations For Day At Seward

Keith1010

We are on an extended cruise next year and we will have a port stop in Seward. It is not the end of the cruise. Rather,it is a port stop like any port stop on a cruise.

The ship only has one tour and that is to go to Anchorage and we've been to Anchorage before when previous cruises had ended in Seward.

Is there anything to do or see in Seward and are there any other suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,

Keith

You don't say how much time you have, but each of these items requires relatively little time each.

Tour the Alaska SeaLife Center http://www.alaskasealife.org

Visit Exit Glacier http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm You can arrange transportation via taxi or shuttle http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/shuttle-bus-and-taxi-service.htm

Stroll around the small boat harbor, window shopping and maybe have lunch at Ray's Waterfront http://rayswaterfrontak.com Try to snag a window table for best views.

Olando Vic, thank you for the input. We are at the port from 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM.

Keith

If you are in port that long, then you have another good option: an all-day tour of Kenai Fjords National Park. http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/boattours.htm You could combine this with dinner at Ray's Waterfront!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know much the Seward to Exit Glacier shuttle is? Is it $10 each way each person, or $10 round trip per person? Also, I heard the latest shuttle from Exit Glacier is 4:30pm. Does that sound right?

I also have heard great things about the KF boat tour. But since I am catching a cruise at 8pm, I wonder if that tour is a little repetitive? Cause I will be visiting Glacier bay anyway?

I will arriving in Seward by train from Anchorage on 7/2 and my cruise sets sail at 8pm 7/3. I just wonder what I can do on 7/2 afternoon, without a car. Most tours start before noon and I won't be able to catch them.

Does anyone know much the Seward to Exit Glacier shuttle is? Is it $10 each way each person, or $10 round trip per person? Also, I heard the latest shuttle from Exit Glacier is 4:30pm. Does that sound right?

I also have heard great things about the KF boat tour. But since I am catching a cruise at 8pm, I wonder if that tour is a little repetitive? Cause I will be visiting Glacier bay anyway?

It's $10 for the roundtrip. According to this site the last shuttle leaves the small boat harbor at 4:30 headed to the glacier. Have to assume the last one leaves the glacier at 5pm.

http://www.exitglacierguides.com/kenai_fjords_glacier_shuttle_in_Seward_Alaska

Your cruise from Seward will be much different than a Kenai Fjords cruise. The goal of the large cruise ship is to get out of Resurrection Bay and head south. The smaller vessels explore the bay and beyond in detail. There are many places and wildlife in the area that you will not see without going on a fjords cruise.

I will arriving in Seward by train from Anchorage on 7/2 and my cruise sets sail at 8pm 7/3. I just wonder what I can do on 7/2 afternoon, without a car. Most tours start before noon and I won't be able to catch them.

There is absolutely nothing similar between your cruise ship sailing and a Kenai Fjords boat tour. The reason to take the boat tour, is for viewing varied wildlife, up close. Your ship, is transit only, and most people don't even bother investing the time in forward viewing for a few hours.

What tours are you looking at for 7-2??? And several "before noon" tours, you most certainly can do.

BuggetQueen, I am thinking about the Kenai Fjord boat tour that leaving at 11:30am. However, the trains arrives at 11:05am and I will need to drop off my luggage at the hotel, IF they allow it. So not sure if we can make it.

We did the morning 6 hour fjord cruise and then did the sea life center. It was perfect for us because we could get close up pictures of puffins and other birds. The cruise was fabulous. We saw orcas and other whales and all sorts of other sea life. We saw calving glaciers too. Marlyne

BuggetQueen, I am thinking about the Kenai Fjord boat tour that leaving at 11:30am. However, the trains arrives at 11:05am and I will need to drop off my luggage at the hotel, IF they allow it. So not sure if we can make it.

This is done all the time, and plenty of people on your train will be on the day trips doing so. The vendors will store your luggage. Simple to arrange, if you choose to do so.,

Chilboot and Budget Queen,

Thank you for the answers! They make my planning so much easier.

Now I plan to arrive in Seward on 7/2 and take the KF tour that afternoon.

Then the next day we will take the shuttle to visit Exit Glacier and come back early enough to board the cruise ship.

I am liking the plan so far!

Archived