Aruba Beach Question-Please Help

chellekell

We are visiting Aruba from a cruise in March. Can't decide which beach we'd enjoy most. We'd love to go to Baby Beach, but can't decide if it's too far from the cruise port. Would we waste too much of our precious time getting to and from Baby Beach? Would it be worth the drive? We want a calm, beautiful beach with snorkeling......water sports not necessary. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with Baby Beach when we visited there a few years ago. I had heard so much about this beach so we ended up renting a car to drive there. We only stayed a few hours then ended up doing some sightseeing on the island since we had the use of the car.

We normally just hop on the city bus and go to Palm Beach or Eagle Beach if we're stopping in Aruba. The Central Bus Station is not far from the pier and if it's not busy, it's only about a 10 or 15 minute ride to the beach. Last time we used the bus, I believe it was $2.00 U.S. but that could have changed now. :)

I thought I was the only one who hated Baby Beach. I love both Palm and Eagle Beaches though. If you want a beach with lots of bars, restaurants, watersport rentals go to Palm Beach. Eagle Beach is more relaxing and quiet.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with Baby Beach when we visited there a few years ago. I had heard so much about this beach so we ended up renting a car to drive there. We only stayed a few hours then ended up doing some sightseeing on the island since we had the use of the car.

We normally just hop on the city bus and go to Palm Beach or Eagle Beach if we're stopping in Aruba. The Central Bus Station is not far from the pier and if it's not busy, it's only about a 10 or 15 minute ride to the beach. Last time we used the bus, I believe it was $2.00 U.S. but that could have changed now. :)

I thought I was the only one who hated Baby Beach. I love both Palm and Eagle Beaches though. If you want a beach with lots of bars, restaurants, watersport rentals go to Palm Beach. Eagle Beach is more relaxing and quiet.

I would not say that I hate it, but imo, it is overrated. ;)

If you are in Aruba especially on a cruise, Palm beach and Eagle beach are much more convenient.

Both Palm & Eagle beaches offer different types of experiences, depending upon what you are looking for.

What is it about Baby Beach that you don't like?

I don't think I'd say I dislike it but as Arubalisa said, it's definitely overrated! I was expecting more than what was there basically. It's quite a small beach and to me, Palm Beach is more enjoyable. I understand the snorkeling at Baby Beach is great but I don't snorkel so it wasn't a factor for me. It's been years since we were there but if I remember right, there's not a whole lot else there besides the beach. It's definitely not worth the high taxi fare to get there and back when there are closer beaches to the port that are great! ;)

We want to check out both Eagle and Palm Beach on our 2012 Cruise. I’m assuming we can get off at Eagle Beach first, spend some time, hop on the bus and go to Palm Beach. How often does the city buses run and is the cost for one way or return?

We want to check out both Eagle and Palm Beach on our 2012 Cruise. I’m assuming we can get off at Eagle Beach first, spend some time, hop on the bus and go to Palm Beach. How often does the city buses run and is the cost for one way or return?

Yes, you can do this. I believe the bus that goes to Palm Beach is the L7 but if I remember correctly, we did stop at Eagle Beach first to drop some passengers off, and stop again on the way back to port.

Here's a link to the Aruba bus transportation site http://www.arubus.com/ . We found people at the bus station very helpful as far as advising us which bus to take. Last time we were there, it was $2 per person but it may have changed now. You may find more useful info on their website.

We seemed to wait longer to catch the bus on the way back.. likely because we'd just missed one and I think they may run every half hour or so, therefore, make sure you allow yourself lots of time to get back to the port. :)

Yes, you can do this. I believe the bus that goes to Palm Beach is the L7 but if I remember correctly, we did stop at Eagle Beach first to drop some passengers off, and stop again on the way back to port.

Here's a link to the Aruba bus transportation site http://www.arubus.com/ . We found people at the bus station very helpful as far as advising us which bus to take. Last time we were there, it was $2 per person but it may have changed now. You may find more useful info on their website.

We seemed to wait longer to catch the bus on the way back.. likely because we'd just missed one and I think they may run every half hour or so, therefore, make sure you allow yourself lots of time to get back to the port. :)

Thanks for the info.

We are now totally confused! We learned from another thread that the no.10 bus ran to Eagle Beach but now I see from the schedule that the L7 goes to Palm Beach and someone has said that it stops at Eagle Beach on the way. We want to get off at Amsterdam Manor for Eagle Beach so which bus should we get please?

All we need is for us two seniors to get lost at one of our first ports of call and it will cause panic for both us and the family back here in England! :eek:

We are now totally confused! We learned from another thread that the no.10 bus ran to Eagle Beach but now I see from the schedule that the L7 goes to Palm Beach and someone has said that it stops at Eagle Beach on the way. We want to get off at Amsterdam Manor for Eagle Beach so which bus should we get please?

All we need is for us two seniors to get lost at one of our first ports of call and it will cause panic for both us and the family back here in England! :eek:

Yes, the #10 bus runs all the way to Arashi Beach so it will make stops at various hotels on the way to Palm and Arashi. Pretty sure there's a stop very close to Amsterdam Manor which is right across the street from Eagle Beach. I know when we stayed in Aruba for a week and were staying at the Marriott (Palm Beach), we used this bus also. Just double check with the driver when you get on to make sure it stops at Eagle but I'm pretty positive it does. :) Probably one of those cases where a few different buses go to the same place but use a different route or make a few different stops.

When we took the bus in Aruba it was very casual , a driver got off and we told him where we wanted to go and he told us what to do . I would not worry about being stranded or lost , it's not like the big city bus stations (hectic) a couple of buses just pull up and sit there and wait for people , very laid back . Promise you'll be fine! It really is a friendly little island !

Hmmm, I think there are several "busses" in Aruba, based on my experiences so far.

I think there's the public bus that goes beyond the low-rise/high-rise hotels, there's a low-rise/high-rise bus that seems to be subsidized by the hotels along that route, and then there are private drivers that operate as busses.

When I was in Aruba in Sep 2011, I couldn't take the waiting cab back to the ship, because I was wet from snorkeling. That cab driver said he was going to call me a cab that had vinyl (as opposed to upholstered) seats.

I was in a hurry to get back to the ship, because I needed to use the restroom. I waited for a while, then saw a vehicle pull up at the bus stop a few yards away. I went to the bus stop, and a private vehicle with taxi sign said he was a bus, and he'd take me back to the ship, wet and all, for $1. Needless to say, I hopped in.

We went down the main road heading back to the ship, and there was a group of 6 standing on the side of the road. The driver stopped and asked if they wanted the bus. They said they wanted to go to a grocery store. I told them to hop in, because we'd be passing a nice grocery store on the way to the ship, and they only had to pay $1 each. In they came.

We let them out at the grocery store, and I arranged for the "bus" driver to pick them up on his way back.

This driver didn't take me directly to the dock, but to the bus terminal near the cruise dock. I gladly gave him $2, and hurried back to the ship.

I think that if you're anywhere along that high-rise/low-rise highway, just ask somebody for the bus stop that heads back to town, and go stand there. Something will come along soon that will take you back to the ship at a reasonable rate. At least that's been my experience!

Hi Essexlass2, don't worry, the buses are clearly identified with 'Hotels' next to the bus number. The bus stops right outside the Amsterdam Manor. We were there last November. The cost at that time for two sunbeds and two towels was $20. The last time we were in Aurba was in March this year, this time we stayed on the bus to Palm Beach. I must say, I preferred Palm Beach to Eagle Beach, there was more going on.

Terry (Fellow Essex resident)

We are going to be in Aurba in May, we only get into port at 2:00 we were thinking of going to a beach for a couple of hours, then heading back to the ship for dinner and then going back out after dinner - our ship leaves at 11:30 pm and we have early dining - is this idea crazy or would it work? Also any suggestions of where to go for a drink or something after dinner?

We are going to be in Aurba in May, we only get into port at 2:00 we were thinking of going to a beach for a couple of hours, then heading back to the ship for dinner and then going back out after dinner - our ship leaves at 11:30 pm and we have early dining - is this idea crazy or would it work? Also any suggestions of where to go for a drink or something after dinner?
Very doable and very easy.

Depending upon what type of beach experience you are looking for, both Palm & Eagle beaches are within 20 minutes of the ship.

For night time casual I would head to Bugaloe Beach Bar & Grill on Palm beach or the beach bar at the Amsterdam Manor.

Archived