pre order alcohol for cabin

jsarratt

Hello,

we always cruise with carnival. We always order alcohol for our cabin (liters of vodka, tequila, rum, etc) prior to our trip so that it is there when we arrive. It helps with the over all cost. Plus we have it in the room when we want it. We would like to try RC. do they have this type of option?

Jeff

I would think it is the same with RCL

RCL is over the top strict about booze in cabin. Only guess is that it makes it easier to monitor consumption when they force buying by the drink from bars. Wine/Champagne are allowed in cabin so guess on that is they feel that wouldnot be sufficient to get someone so blasted they might fall overboard. But is is an odd contradiction that Celebrity, under the same parent company, is not so strict. Makes me think it is a ploy to make people who care move up.

Hello,

we always cruise with carnival. We always order alcohol for our cabin (liters of vodka, tequila, rum, etc) prior to our trip so that it is there when we arrive. It helps with the over all cost. Plus we have it in the room when we want it. We would like to try RC. do they have this type of option?

Jeff

Yeah, this was one of the disadvantages we encountered with RCL, but rumrunners are a great invention.:)

Has nothing to do with monitoring consumption. Has to do with monitoring profits. Up until about 8-10 years about you could buy a bottle in the liquor store and take it back to your cabin.

RCL is over the top strict about booze in cabin. Only guess is that it makes it easier to monitor consumption when they force buying by the drink from bars. Wine/Champagne are allowed in cabin so guess on that is they feel that wouldnot be sufficient to get someone so blasted they might fall overboard. But is is an odd contradiction that Celebrity, under the same parent company, is not so strict. Makes me think it is a ploy to make people who care move up.

RC stopped allowing bottles of liquor in the cabins not too long after the "Smith Incident" on Brilliance in 2005 so I think it had something to do with monitoring consumption. It seemed silly to me since the Smiths not only purchased alcohol but smuggled some too so there is no telling how much they actually had onboard. I sailed on Brilliance a couple months after the incident and purchasing liquor bottles was still allowed but there was talk that it would soon be stopped. I know it was shortly after we got home that I read RC stopped allowing bottles in the cabins.

Up until about 8-10 years about you could buy a bottle in the liquor store and take it back to your cabin.

So how does not allowing that increase profits? For us it discourages consumption (or increases incentive to smuggle) - so net loss of profit either way. I would happily pay a premium over the "take it home" prices to take it to cabin even if the net cost per drink was same as at bar (less tip). But bringing a brandy from bar to have on balcony before bed - then deciding it's so nice out how about another - then having to put "public" clothing back on and slog on down to a bar and back totally kills the mood. So we would not do that. Loss of sale for RCI.

Only non-smuggling alternative would be to bring a flask (empty) and buy a bunch of straight brandies at a bar and pour in for later consumption. But somehow I suspect there is a rule against that too. Ever since the George Smith incident - on July 5, 2005 and they changed the in-room policy a month later on August 5, 2005 - they have tried to be in-control of consumption.

I'm sure that it was later than August that they changed the bottle policy, at least on Brilliance. My cruise was last week Sept/first week of Oct and we were still allowed to buy bottles. I remember because it was my first balcony cabin so hubby and I bought a couple bottles and made our own before-dinner drinks on our balcony. FABULOUS!!

I know they monitor how many drinks you purchase also. My husband and I bought a couple of rounds for our table of 10 during dinner once to celebrate our anniversary. I had two drinks with dinner and my husband had 3 beers. Those were the only drinks that we had that day. Neither of us was drunk or even slightly tipsy. However, when we went to the Schooner Bar later, the bartender wouldn't serve us because we had bought so many drinks earlier. He wouldn't even let me put the drinks on my Seapass (we'd put the dinner rounds on hubby's) because our accounts were linked.

Wow,never heard that they monitor your drinks from one bar to another. We bought drinks for our whole gang on time and that was 12 people total 2 each and never had a problem ordering one to take back to the balcony.That was out last cruise on the Enchanment in Oct / 2011.

I'm sure that it was later than August that they changed the bottle policy, at least on Brilliance. My cruise was last week Sept/first week of Oct and we were still allowed to buy bottles. I remember because it was my first balcony cabin so hubby and I bought a couple bottles and made our own before-dinner drinks on our balcony. FABULOUS!!

I know they monitor how many drinks you purchase also. My husband and I bought a couple of rounds for our table of 10 during dinner once to celebrate our anniversary. I had two drinks with dinner and my husband had 3 beers. Those were the only drinks that we had that day. Neither of us was drunk or even slightly tipsy. However, when we went to the Schooner Bar later, the bartender wouldn't serve us because we had bought so many drinks earlier. He wouldn't even let me put the drinks on my Seapass (we'd put the dinner rounds on hubby's) because our accounts were linked.

The policy changed in August 2006.

I thought it was changed before Aug 2006 but it's been a while. I know for Sept. 2005 cruise we could bring our bottles to the room but policy was changed before my Sept. 2006 cruise. That was disappointing! We had 9256 on Radiance for Alaska and were looking forward to Irish coffee and cocoa w/ Baileys on the balcony. :( It's hard to believe that was over 6 years ago!

Archived