Half Moon Cay - Awesome Snorkeling!

shunt66

I was told so many times on here that the Bahamas has nothing to see and to not

bother trying to snorkel! What a mistake that would have been! I've never seen

such beautiful sea life. It was awesome. I wouldn't pay for an excursion here.

Just snorkel from shore. Also, a lot of people told me not to buy snorkeling

equipment, and to just rent it. Well, never again! It was $20 per person, so

we just rented one set and shared. My kids had goggles, which were terrible in

comparison. Anyway, here are my recommendations: Buy and bring your own

shorkeling equipment. Fins are optional, but I highly recommend them. It is a

big place and it is much easier with them. Also easier to get to the bottom in

the deep, as that is very hard to do. Secondly. When you get there, you walk

down a walkway toward the beach. When facing shore, go to the left of the

walkway. Then, when you are facing the water from shore, snorkel on the

left-hand, man-made wall. It is really long, with

sea life all over it! Incredible stuff! You could also stand up there. When

you venture away from the wall, where it is like 9' deep, there are these round,

volcano-shaped things on the bottom. There are like 3 sets of 3 of those.

There is where you will find the much larger, beautiful fish. The wall had some

larger fish, but it looked like the nursery of baby fish. Don't get me wrong,

the babies were my favorite to look at. They aren't as afraid. This was the

best port! Gorgeous - every inch of it!

Oh, I forgot!

The wall seemed to be a secret because there were only like 3 other people over

there. You can also watch your children if you have little ones because there

is a water playground right there at shore.

When you get there, you walk

down a walkway toward the beach. When facing shore, go to the left of the

walkway. Then, when you are facing the water from shore, snorkel on the

left-hand, man-made wall.

Cool! Thanks for posting. Is it down by the "Private Oasis" cabana? I'll be going in October and I'm taking my own gear.

I've always read that there is some very good snorkeling in the Bahamas. I just don't partake because I'm not a swimmer.

It's just that you don't usually find good snorkeling at a sandy beach. You find it at rocky beaches and reefs!

I have a cabana for my next stop at HMC (my 6th!) so will get snorkel gear.

As a non-swimmer, I want an inflatable vest, though. I wonder if I can rent one separately.

They rent as a package. Maybe you could find one to buy on Ebay or something, cheap. Or, maybe you could ask people in line if there was anyone who didn't want the vest and pay them $5 or something. If you go over by the wall I talked about, it is only 4-5' deep there.

I may email the excursion desk and just ask if I can get a couple of vests included with the gear that comes with the cabana.

I snorkeled in Cozumel because it was a wade-in area. I knew the vest would keep me afloat, but when you're a non-swimmer, it just is difficult to convince yourself that you'll be ok. I had let the tour group know and he was keeping an eye on me.

I'll be with a friend, DD & her new husband, so I won't be alone. There will be someone to help if I need it.

Someone also recently posted that if you walk ALL the way down the other direction, past the horseback riding area to the rocks that there is some very good snorkeling. But you're totally alone out there.

Thanks for the info.

NCTribeFan, I would not recommend you go to far end (past the stables) to do your snorkeling. We did this in May and found the water to be quite rough. I am a decent swimmer and experienced snorkeler and I found it difficult to keep myself from being pushed into the rocks by the waves/current. Besides, the snorkeling was not as good there as it was in the designated area by the Half Moon Saloon. You'll see plenty of sea life there.

Oh, no. I have no intention of going to the far end! Not me! :o

I just posted that because, normally, the snorkeling isn't great at sandy beaches and HMC is known for the sandy beach.

You also get some snorkeling at the stingray excursion as there is actual reef in the enclosure. It's a very small area, but the groups are also very small. Plus you get the great experience with the stingrays, which I just love and the price is very reasonable.

• 4 weeks later...
Cool! Thanks for posting. Is it down by the "Private Oasis" cabana? I'll be going in October and I'm taking my own gear.

This is what I was wondering also. Where is the wall in relation to the Private Oasis?

I figure if you get too close to the Oasis, you'll get warned away...after all, those people paid $1200+ for a bit of privacy. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Once at port and grabbing a taxi. Were do we tell the drive to go to find this spot?

The location referred to above is on Half Moon Cay, Holland America's private island, sometimes used by Carnival. So if you aren't sailing on one of theose cruise lines, you can't get there from here.

Secondly, no cabs on Half Moon Cay. The area referred to is near where the tender form the ship drops you on land. Just walking a short distance.

Half Moon Cay is a small private island~it is run and staffed by the cruise lines. You will ride a tender from the ship to the island, once you debark the tender there is a sidewalk that you take you to a area with a fountain in the middle, around the fountain are shops, a few venders with bahamian items, a bar and and a excursion hut that rents scuba gear. Ask them at the hut where the Oasis is they will direct you and the snorkeling they are talking about is in front of the Oasis!

• 1 month later...

DW and I are planning on doing the Snorkel with the Stingray excursion next March. There are many times during the day that we can book this. Does anyone know if it is better to do this in the morning or in the afternoon?

I was thinking it would be better early, but I am not sure.

Hows the weather and water temps for HMC in the end of Nov ? this whole snorkeling thing is sounding like I might have to give it a try :) ITS ALMOST CRUISE TIME !!! :D

As you live in Florida, and HMC is only about 150-175 miles from Ft Lauderdale, use Ft Lauderdale temps as example of what it will be on HMC. We were there on Dec 3 last year, the water and air temps were quite pleasant at both Ft Lauderdale and HMC.

Edited by CruiserBruce

• 3 weeks later...

We will be at Half Moon Cay in the beginning of January. We have our own snorkeling equipment (well, I don't have fins yet, but I will before we go). I am so glad that you all have posted about where to go. We will check all the spots out that we have time for. I am also buying an underwater camera mainly for this trip, then to use with the kids in the pool. Hope to get some good pictures!

• 3 weeks later...