Travel Agent vs RSS

Ed P.

We are fairly new to cruising. Last year we booked our Alaska cruise directly through RSS (had a fantastic time).

We are looking to book a Venice - Rome cruise in 2013? I must say we had excellent service booking direct with RSS but were wondering if TA prices were cheaper and if there were any other pros and cons.

I should also mention that we will be booking a Penthouse cabin so Business Class air is included......not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

If you book with a TA, there are definite benefits. For instance, booking with a TA affiliated with the Virtuoso or Signatures consortiums, you receive on board credits (OBCs) and/or special on shore events.

Also, when you book with a TA who specializes in luxury cruising, they can help you avoid a suite on the ship that may not suit you. For instance, even in Penthouse Suites, there are some in a better position than others. Regent, on the other hand, has to try and sell all of their suites - even if they are under the gym or above a lounge where music is played late into the night.

A good TA is looking out for you. Regent representatives, while quite frendly and helpful, are looking out for Regent.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your Alaska cruise on the Navigator. If you liked the Navigator, you will love the Voyager or Mariner. Much more spacious ships.

Having sailed from Venice to Rome in May of this year (on the Voyager), I suggest booking in May or mid-September to mid-October. We had beautiful weather and calm seas -- not overly crowded as it is in July and August. I asked one of our tour guides (in Venice) what it is like in August. She replied "hell" -- it is so crowded that you can barely walk around in the hundred degree heat.

I use an American Express affiliate that provides shipboard credit. If I pay with my Platinum AMEX card, they even add $300 per cabin and $500 if I use my Centurion Black card. They allow me to get both the American Express shipboard credits in addition to my card program. I also get "double" membership reward points that add up fast! I agree with TC, you will love Voyager and Mariner.

Ed, you can enjoy both the continued excellent service your received from your past direct booking with RSSC and also get the benefit of booking with a TA.

Our approach to booking a Regent (or Silversea for that matter) cruise is to first book directly with Silversea or Regent. Over the past few years we have developed a good working relationship with the direct travel consultant we use at both these lines. Booking direct works well for us as we know the suite we want, do our own air, own hotel rsvns, and we also plan our own transfers to and from the ship.

Booking direct get us our immediate choice of the suite we want since the RSSC has the suite inventory directly in front of them on their computer screen. These professionals also can answer general questions (excursion availability, visa information) I have also asked for their assistance to help organize Cruise Critic meet and mingles and to learn who is Voyager crew leadership for our upcoming Mumbai to Bali cruise.

However, to get the (significant value our TA provides paired with exceptional service) advantage booking with a TA gets us (generous rebate, OBC (OBC given by TA , and OBC given by travel consortium, and the knowledge our TA (our TA's scale/size helps us resolve issues with Regent) brings to our booking) shortly after we have booked directly with RSSC, we call our RSSC travel consultant and request our booking be transferred to our TA.

Therefore, for every RSSC (or Silversea) booking we have currently we have two resources to go to for our voyage information (RSSC Tvl consultant and our TA)

After reading every one of the numerous (and spirited) posts on the TA forum I contacted a "luxury" travel agency. Long story short, on the cruise we were looking at next year they offer a $900 ship board credit AND a check in the amount of 5% (not insignificant on a $30,000 trip) to be sent 10 days out from sailing.

My question is does this sound possible and legit? I can't really see any downside to using a TA.

Thoughts?

After reading every one of the numerous (and spirited) posts on the TA forum I contacted a "luxury" travel agency. Long story short, on the cruise we were looking at next year they offer a $900 ship board credit AND a check in the amount of 5% (not insignificant on a $30,000 trip) to be sent 10 days out from sailing.

My question is does this sound possible and legit? I can't really see any downside to using a TA.

Thoughts?

You did quite well and now have some extra "money in your pocket." It always, literally, pays, to do the research and find a reputable TA who has a professional business model, offers excellent service, as well as gives clients some additional booking incentives, which, of course, benefits you further. All of these components make for a gratifying TA/client relationship.

We, too, book our travel with the TA Wes uses and are tremendously pleased with overall service, professionalism and, of course, additional incentives!

I don't think (sadly) such options are available for travellers outside the US. Good luck to those who can make the best of it.

Are you sure? I know of people that live outside US and use TAs here (actually, one of these customers is from Australia).

Hands down, use a TA, especially a TA who specializes in luxury cruises. Ours takes care of everything, gets us rooms in categories Regent says are sold out or waitlisted, gets us a plethora of OBC and even arranges private transfers and hotel rooms if we need them. A TA specializing in luxury cruises knows the ships, the rooms, everything.

Hands down, use a TA, especially a TA who specializes in luxury cruises. Ours takes care of everything, gets us rooms in categories Regent says are sold out or waitlisted, gets us a plethora of OBC and even arranges private transfers and hotel rooms if we need them. A TA specializing in luxury cruises knows the ships, the rooms, everything.

Hi, neighbour from last years Transatlantic. Remember Barbara and me to your family, please

Thoughts?

Ed, you can do better if you shop around

Hi, neighbour from last years Transatlantic. Remember Barbara and me to your family, please

Hi there! Yes, we remember you. Jacob and I are about to head off to the Baltics with my parents in early September. it seems like eons ago that we crossed the Atlantic with you and your wife.

Archived