Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared! Add Yours?

TLCOhio

Terry, Have enjoyed all of your pictures and commentary of your trips. Do you have just pictures of the Solstice? DS and wife are thinking about the Solstice trip for Alaska. If so , could you link them for me. Thanks, Phil

As per the above request/suggestion from Phil, below is the start for pulling together a grouping of various pictures on the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, etc. Many of these pictures were shown on my live/blog, but many new or different pictures will be added. This might make it easier for those planning their first trip on the Solstice and/or one of the sister ships to consider the many options on these great sailing palaces. Or, to re-live and bring back good memories from an earlier sailing. Others on this board should feel welcome to add their own, top pictures of what they liked, did and captured about this ship and its many options.

Plus, early next year, I will add more visuals after doing our Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Australia-New Zealand cruise on the Solstice. It will be a 14-day "adventure" that starts in Sydney, goes to Tasmania and then goes up the NZ eastern coast after starting in their southern fjords, etc. The cruise will finish in Auckland, NZ. We have a nice and active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this Solstice trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for this trip on a great ship.

Excellent idea and request by Phil. My full live/blog is connected below, but others might not want to go through ALL of the various port pictures and comments by others. This is a shorter version with added, newer comments and insights for Solstice first-timers. Feel free ask any questions, etc., for me and/or others to answer. Below starts part one. Many more to come!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 121,920 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

If there is any one picture to sum up the class and style of the Solstice, here it is. The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

Our Celebrity Solstice is shown positioned in the Villefranche harbor with this beautiful setting surrounding the ship.:

VillefrancheSolsticeInHarbor.jpg

On the Solstice as we sailed from Rome to Naples, here is a view of the outdoor pools as the sun is setting.:

SolsticeOutdoorPoolNight.jpg

For those who have not been on one of Solstice-class ships, this visual gives you a better idea for how things look and lay-out on this 15th floor, back area of the ship. This is a visual from one of Celebrity’s brochures. This is not one of my pictures. Cool angle and look!!!:

SolsticeSunsetDeckRead.jpg

As the Solstice sailed from Naples, we passed scenic Capri island, former summer home for Roman Emperors. This was the sunset view of this island from the ship.:

SolsticeCapriSunset.jpg

What about the pools, sun and fun? Here are some of my photo samplings at these great locations on the Solstice. More to come!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,461 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s a sample of the pools and the activities around this key hub area of the Solstice.:

SolsticeMainPoolGuyWatching.jpg

In the pool area, they have these water jets that put on a nice “show”, both to watch and/or for kids to play in.:

SolsticeKidsPool.jpg

Super loved it when there were times at the pool in the afternoons on the Solstice last June when the “party band” was going at it with great tunes. This added to the fun and excitement around the pool area of our ship. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

This is the Sunset Bar area that adjoined part of the lawn areas on the top, back part of the Solstice.:

SolsticeSunsetBarView.jpg

In the top, back area near the Sunset Bar with live grass, some enjoy this area by reading, playing on the lawn or sun-bathing there. Usually, it’s not too crowded!:

SolsticeLawnBackSunSoaking.jpg

Here is the view from the back of the Solstice near the Oceanview Cafe as the Solstice makes a turn in the Mediterranean Sea between Italy and Sicily. Loved hearing the water and watching the action at sea. This is a great viewing area to see the "action" as you sail. You can grab you food or a snack from the Oceanview Cafe and then enjoy out here on the back of the ship. Great for breakfast or lunch. Or, at other times. Bar and beverages are available here.:

SolsticeWatchBackTurnOfShip.jpg

What about the entertainment, shows and music? Here are some of my photo samplings at these great options on the Solstice. More to come!

If you like Venice and its great history and architecture, check out this posting that I did with lots of pictures there. It has had over 18,980 views. Let me know any comments or questions on this unique city.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

For entertainment in the Solstice Theatre, it was called “Solstice -- The Show” featuring a European-style dance, air acts, music, etc. Very dramatic and interesting as they swing, twirl and soar over the audience and stage. It is a “state-of-the-art” theatre with these "Cirque-type" dancers being able to “do their thing”. Here is one example of the “air show” put on by the show performers.:

SolsticeAirShowFinalTwo.jpg

And, another example of performers soaring over the stage, etc.:

SolsticeFinalAirShowTheatrer.jpg

Earlier on our cruise in the Solstice Theatre, there was a show called “Pulse” that featured the great ship orchestra, plus much dancing, singing, entertaining, etc. Lots and energy and good talents on the ship.:

SolsticeShowPulseTwo.jpg

SolsticePulseShowSinger1.jpg

Here’s an example for some of the “swinging” action to band on the 4th floor, central court area nearby the Solstice's main glass elevator bank. There were not large numbers dancing, but those that did, had fun and we enjoyed watching the "show"!:

SolsticeDancingMainFromHigh.jpg

This is the lead singer of the “Cheek2Cheek” group that specialized in some jazz, big band and “songbook” pieces". Here, they are playing in the evening in that 4th floor central court area.:

SolsticeCheek2CheekSinger.jpg

What about some of the interior options, features and attractions? Here are some of my photo samplings of these great options on the Solstice. More to come!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 12,840 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

This is a view of the library area on the tenth floor that overlooked the central, open core area of the ship. Not a great book selection here, but it is a nice-looking area with a quiet reading hideaway.:

SolsticeLibraryView.jpg

This is a view looking up in the Solstice central lobby with a music group playing there. :

SolsticeLobbyUpView.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc. You can see the library area in the background:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

Here is an evening view of the Solarium showing a different angle on the nice art and design with this facility.:

SolsticeSolariumNightPool_zps83e15b15.jpg

Here are two different views of the central, open lobby areas of the Solstice. Lots of fun and activities here. Plus, nice looking and very classy!:

SolsticeBandVerticleLobby.jpg

SolsticeLobby3FloorView.jpg

What about some of the food, dining, buffet and dessert options? Here are some of my photo samplings of these great potentials on the Solstice. This is only part one for the food treats, etc. More to come!

For the handy and quick, especially at breakfast and lunch time, here is the Oceanview Cafe buffet on the Solstice. This visual sample shows how large and open are these various serving areas. This area includes getting items from the pizza-pasta bar area, various hot and cold items, free tea and juice machines, etc. The pizza is very good when it is hot and coming fresh right out of the oven.:

SolsticeOceanviewBuffet1.jpg

SolsticeOceanviewPizza.jpg

From the Main Dining Room on the Solstice in June, here is one of the dishes that I enjoyed on this cruise. As I recall, it is a veal beef shank.:

SolsticeVealShankMDR.jpg

From the Oceanview Buffet, here are two visual samples, including the sushi selections in this area during the evenings. Second is a carved melon in the fruit area.:

SolsticeOceanviewSushi.jpg

SolsticeOceanviewCarnvedFruit.jpg

We did a galley tour and here is one of the staff members displaying his fine art in carving.:

SolsticeGalleyTourCarvings.jpg

What about some of the brunch buffet and dessert options in the MDR during a sea day? Here are some of my photo samplings of these great potentials on the Solstice. This is only part two for the food treats, etc. More to come!

This is an overview for how the whole main part of the open, central MDR was taken over by the various stations of food, ice carving, treats, etc., for a special mid-day brunch on a sea day. This photo was taken right at the start, before things got super busy. The only "downside" is that this buffet and location gets very busy and crowded with all of the people, plus staff re-stocking the food.:

SolsticeBuffetOverallTwoHigh.jpg

Here are some sushi options and a nice ice carving at the mid-day brunch buffet during a sea day.:

SolsticeSushiIceCarving.jpg

In front of where the desserts were offered at the brunch buffet in the Main Dining Room, there were three ice carvings. Nice to look at, plus sampling these treats!:

SolsticeThreeIceCarvingDesserts.jpg

During our brunch buffet on a sea day, here are two more pictures. First, is the omelette area where they make these custom egg treats with the exact items you desire. Second is the carving area with the friendly, helpful staff.:

SolsticeBuffetOmletCookings.jpg

SolsticeBuffetCustomCarving.jpg

During the brunch buffet, there was so many dessert options that I had to take five of them to avoid showing any favoritism. Got to be fair!!:

SolsticeBuffetDesserts5x.jpg

What about some more of the brunch buffet and dessert options in the MDR during a sea day? Here are more of my photo samplings of these great potentials on the Solstice. This is only part three for the many, many food treats, etc. More to come!

During the Brunch Buffet on the Solstice, here is one of my visual samplings. This is an example for the creativity with the many carved ice sculptures among the many salad options. This includes unique flower carving creations. You will not got hungry on such great cruises!!:

SolsticeCarvedFlowersIceSalads.jpg

More from the Brunch Buffet. First, more with those unique flower carving creations and second, a view for passengers checking out the cheese items at this grand buffet on the main floor of the large dining area.:

SolsticeCarvedFlowersIceSculpt.jpg

SolsticeBuffetBreadCheesePeople.jpg

During the galley tour, here is what can be done in an interesting way with the bread sticks. The bread options were very good on this Solstice sailing.:

SolsticeBuffetTourBreadSticks.jpg

One of the chefs here is shown doing a cooking demo during a sea day program.:

SolsticeChefCookingDemo.jpg

Here is an overview preview for this wonderfully-appointed, speciality Murano dining room with nice wood, ceiling, glass, etc., details. Maximum capacity for seating in 90. For the last night, they had 30 people on a waiting listing. We booked ahead which was smart in order to get a specific date on a sea day late in the cruise for our 39th wedding anniversary, June 17, 2011.:

MuranoRoomOverview.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

What about some of the speciality dining? Here are some of my photo samplings for these great places on the Solstice. More to come!

We did all three of the speciality dining places on the Solstice and each is different. That variety was great. See more at:

Speciality Dining Photos/Tips:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434523&page=2

What specials are offered for these dining places will vary much depending on the length of each cruise, the audience mix on-board, etc. Depending on the number of their advance booking and past experiences, the Celebrity folks will adjust these offers to help fill the venues and manage the demand. Check early when you get on the ship. If you wait till late during your cruise to book and it is a sea day, you might get closed out for places like Murano.

The “Creamy Maine Lobster Bisque” is one of their most popular starter items at Murano. It is far different from what is served on the rest of the Solstice. It involves seven hours prep time for the different items. The broth is poured into your bowl with nice drama . . . and great taste. There are ten different starter options. You can have as many courses of starters as you wish. I had a second starter of Diver Scallop Wellington-Style. The warm goat cheese souffle is also a popular item here.:

MuranoLobsterBisque.jpg

Three of us had the Murano Lobster as our main entrees. It is cooked and prepared table-side from lobster tails that are first presented table-side.:

MuranoPrepareLobster.jpg

And then the lobster is served!!!:

MuranoLobsterFinalDish.jpg

My wife had this “Potato-Laced French Turbot” at Murano that looked great on its presentation plate. Tasted good, too!:

MuranoTurbotMainDish.jpg

Three at our table at Murano went for the “Grand Marnier Souffle” with Creme Anglaise a la Grousse Tahitenne. It was loved so much, especially the sauce that poured in the middle.:

Murano2DessertTwo.jpg

My dessert choice was “Les VI Etoiles du Murano”. It is six different bite-sized desserts. My wife and I were going to share this one, but she switched for the “Grand Marnier Souffle”. I got this whole selection, but, don’t worry, I didn’t and couldn’t eat it all. Very delightful!:

Murano2DessertTimesSix.jpg

What about some more of the speciality dining options? Here are added photo samplings from these great places on the Solstice. During our Australia-NZ early 2014 sailing on the Solstice, I will have to get more pictures from the wonderful Tuscan Grille.

This was the Tuscan Grille “Signature Creme Brulee” that I enjoyed. A key tip for the Tuscan Grille is to “pace yourself” as the portions are large (and good). You need to save room for the desserts, etc. Sorry, I didn't get pictures for the earlier course in this speciality dining location. Was too busy enjoying the food, company and views as we sailed away from our port.:

SolsticeTuscan2Dessert-1.jpg

For dolce or dessert, here is what the dark chocolate fondue appeared as you needed to tackle this “finish” at Tuscan Grille.:

SolsticeTuscanGrDessertOne-1.jpg

Doing dining “family-style” is especially fun in an Asian-style setting such as Silk Harvest. That sharing of the experience adds to the fun and interest. This first course is called “small plates” and we started with a nice mix, including interesting sauces that added much to the enjoyment.

SolsticeSilkHarvestAppitzer.jpg

For sushi, they put together a nice variety of options and the waiter did an added sauce option that was great to test and vary the flavors. Liked it LOTS here at Silk Harvest!! Testing new things is a good value/purpose for such cruises and these types of dining options. Fun, also!!:

SolsticeSilkHarvestSushi-1.jpg

Here was our mix of “large plate” or main items during our Silk Harvest experience on the Solstice. This includes the wonderful Spicy Pad Thai, Chinese Pepper Steak, Salmon/Scallop Stir-fry, etc. :

SolsticeSilkHarvestEntrees.jpg

Desserts were wonderful, including this Caramelized Banana with coconut ice cream. All low cal, right?:

SolsticeSilkHarvestBananaDessert.jpg

Had enough with all of that Solstice food and desserts (with those calories)? Now switching back to various things on the ship, exploring its options, entertainment? More to come!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 121,920 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From a higher level, here is a view for some of the shops for those needing such “relief” through retail therapy.:

SolsticeShopsFromHigherLevel.jpg

Here is another angle on the “party band” around the pool area. Fun, fun, fun!!:

SolsticePartyBandPoolHotTub.jpg

Here was our Smithsonian Journeys Speaker: Dr. Krzysztof (Kris) Stanek with a Ph.D in astrophysics from Princeton, teaching at Harvard, etc. Now a nationally-ranked professor at Ohio State University:

SolsticeOSUProf2.jpg

Here is an example from the Solstice, that some of the dancers are “on their toes”!!:

SolsticeShipDancing.jpg

As an idea to have a little “bit of home” in your ship room, we brought along some masking tape and pictures of our first and new grandson (at this point, eight months old). Then, as shown below, they are put up on the room wall around the flat-screen TV. Great to have that connection as we traveled in the Med, around Italy, up the Croatian Coast, etc. Also bring some of the yellow “post it” reminder notes to help keep our schedules correct, remember our “to-do’s”, upcoming events, etc.:

SolsticeFamilyPixWall2.jpg

In going to the speciality dining places, you walk through this area with black walls, floor and ceiling that include some interesting art work. Here’s one picture to give an example. It is a nicely done area to walk through.:

SolsticeWallFloorArt2SpecRestr-1.jpg

Terry, as always your pictures are amazing. They make me hungry and I have just eaten dinner! I hope it is okay with you that I posted the link to this thread on another one where the OP was asking about the brunch. I think your pictures do the brunch more justice than any description.

Here is more to see and enjoy beyond all of that Solstice food and desserts! These show more on the ship, exploring its options, entertainment? More to come!!

Here's the Solstice "Hot Glass" show that is tied in with the Corning folks in New York. Interesting!:

SolsticeHotAirShowDemo.jpg

From high above Kotor, this is the view of the fjord bay with the Solstice in prime position to soak up the spectacular sun on our visiting day there. Getting up early to do the sail-in for these dramatic scenery was great fund and interesting.:

KotorHarborViewSolstice.jpg

Here was our Solstice Cruise Director, Paul Baya. He’s from Westchester County, N.Y. and resides in Miami now. He attended Lynchburg College (Va.) and has worked the high seas for seventeen years, joining Celebrity in the recent years. His specialities including singing, playing the piano, etc.:

SolsticePaulBayaCruiseDir2_zps0daeb4f3.jpg

Here is the Solstice docked in Dubrovnik. This is the commercial harbor there, not the historic setting near the old fortress/walled city.:

SolsticeDubrovHarborShip.jpg

This is a view of the upper floor, 14th level above the main pool area on the Solstice-type ships. This illustrates how the space for walking can be a little narrow and congested during the middle of the afternoon as this area fills up with people enjoying the sun, etc., during sea days. BUT, things are much easier and more open for your walking/laps earlier in the am, plus in the evenings. The area has a nice rubberized surface. Lots of interesting visuals to see on the ship and at sea as you walk around here, hang out, etc.:

SolsticeWalkingTrackArea.jpg

As we were getting ready for our Solstice sail-away from Barcelona on June 7, 2011, here’s a picture of our next-door neighbor in their scenic harbor. It’s the Costa Concordia that has become, sadly, one of the most infamous cruise ships in history. You can see the unique shape/design of the W Hotel in the distant background as it overlooks the Barcelona beach area. Very glad we were on the Solstice, not a Costa or Carnival ship.:

BarcelCostaConcordiaInPort.jpg

Terry, as always your pictures are amazing. They make me hungry and I have just eaten dinner! I hope it is okay with you that I posted the link to this thread on another one where the OP was asking about the brunch. I think your pictures do the brunch more justice than any description.

Yes, appreciate your kind comments and I would be honored if you post a link on another thread. Let me know any other thoughts and/or special requests for pictures on our upcoming re-visit to the Solstice in Australia. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

Here are some added design touches, features, entertainment, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,461 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On the Solstice, here’s a view of that hanging tree in the special “box” with some of magical atrium showing in this central part of the ship!:

SolsticeTreeHangingAtrium.jpg

Here is another view of the Solstice main pool outdoor area.:

SolsticePoolOtherViewAngle.jpg

Here is one of the solo singers on the ship doing various pop/folk songs. She was performing in the Oceanview Bar area in the evening as we relaxed after dinner and a long port day.:

SolsticeSunsetBarSinger.jpg

Here is the uniquely-lighted sign as we enter the Grand Epernay main dining room. Next, is a seating area sample from the Solstice Ensemble Lounge area. Finally, here is a seldom-seen visual. A couple of rest room sinks! Why? It shows some of the special design touches and style in an area of the ship where they could have cut corners, but didn’t. These are pretty unique sinks that you won't find at Home Depot or Lowe's! Plus the lighting, etc.!! I appreciate these kind of “details” and extra effort to make things look special, but not too over the top!:

SolsticeGrandEpernaySign.jpg

SolsticeEnsambLounge.jpg

SolsticeCoolBathSinksPublic-1.jpg

In just 3 weeks I will embark on the Solstice for a back to back and will be taking tons of pictures for a full review of my 30 days on board her. Looking very forward to it! It will be an Australian, Tahitian and Hawaiian Adventure!

Quick question Terry... for the theater shots what ISO setting were you using?

In just 3 weeks I will embark on the Solstice for a back to back and will be taking tons of pictures for a full review of my 30 days on board her. Looking very forward to it! It will be an Australian, Tahitian and Hawaiian Adventure! Quick question Terry... for the theater shots what ISO setting were you using?

Good luck on your upcoming 30 days on the Solstice. It's tough "work", but somebody has to do it. You will have quite a unique adventure, seeing lots of great locations. Look forward to your reviews, comments, insights.

On your theater ISO question, I did check check for three of those pictures. They were all shot ISO 400. Most at a 1/60th of a second, f/5.3 opening. A couple of these other pictures were done ISO 400, but at a 1/40th of a second, f/4. Does this help?

In the future, I would probably use an ISO 800 setting for getting shots there.

Keep those good questions rolling along. Welcome any and all interests. Below are a few more pictures that have not been posted previously.

THANKS for the interest and posting! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Here are a variety of six different views connected with the Solstice. First, a low, side shot of the Solstice as it is docked in Venice. Second, how the three levels in the Solstice Theater look. Third, the "heart" design/art in the area near the Silk Harvest speciality dining location. Fourth, an example of people enjoying the green grass area on the top of the Solstice. Fifth, three of the desserts in the evening from the Oceanview Cafe buffet. Sixth, the Captain's big bridge overhang in Naples harbor as a HAL ship is entering this area.:

SolsticeVeniceHarborSideView_zps8d4d3153.jpg

SolsticeTheaterThreeLevelsSeating_zpsf425642a.jpg

SolsticeSpecialityDiningHeart_zps28ee9156.jpg

SolsticeGrassPlayingKidGame_zps651cd030.jpg

SolsticeOceanviewDesserts3x_zps4a24184b.jpg

SolsticeBridgeHangOutNaples_zps9d55d534.jpg

Terry, I LOVE your photos, and thank you for posting them, it gave me great pleasure to see all of them, I would love your advice on what camera I should use etc and also how to upload them to cruise critic afterwards, as I am clueless!!! I currently use a Panasonic Lumix camera, its quite small (no detachable lens) I don't want a huge thing to wear around my neck all day! I need a pop in the bag kind...

I find it really hard to post my photos on this website for some reason. When I did manage, it was huge and took up a whole page!

These have all been on before, so why repeat?

E_o??

If you look at the original post, terry was asked if he had any solstice photos, also, there are always newcomers to these boards who would love to see them, (and plenty like myself who have seen then but just LOVE to see them all again!)

I think your post is bordering on rudeness, something that us Brits are known to be allergic to.

As a relative newbie, I appreciate photos of the trips and ships...mostly ships. It is very useful to have them all in one spot here on the Celebrity thread. The other picture area on the CC forum is not user friendly. I like this post and hope that Librarylady will do the same for Reflection (hint..hint). Maybe others will add their pictures to the threads also. So a big thank you from me!

Hi Terry, thanks so much for compiling these pics of the Solstice. I'll have to show these to our friends who will be sailing for the first time on an S class ship (Equinox) with us next January. The Solstice is very similar to the Equinox with the same restaurants and lawn club design with the Corning Hot Glass show.