Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared! Add Yours?

TLCOhio

• 2 weeks later...

Terry:

Thanks for this wonderful thread. Can't believe that I missed it in March :o Hope there was something similar about the Eclipse. We are going to sail on her for a two weeks Baltic cruise this summer. This is going to be our third Solstice class cruise, after the Equinox and Silhouette. Again, thanks for the beautiful pictures and all the information. :):)

Thank you so much for the amazing photos!!! We are sailing on Solstice in August to Alaska, it will be our first cruise on a Solstice class....so excited!!!!!!:) I wonder how the lawn will do in colder weather?

Edited by RVfromAZ

Terry,

Mahalo nui loa! what an incredible batch of photos. as others have said, it has truly increased my excitement for my first celebrity cruise.

so many of your photos did such a good job of showing the scale of the ship. I know it is big, but I hadn't realized just how big. your photos did an excellent job of putting it all in perspective.

thank you for taking the time to put it all together in one place!

Here's one from Sydney:

I have more on my picasa if someone wants to check it out:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rakkiat.helena/CelebritySolsticeShip#

drarill: Terry. Thanks for this wonderful thread. Can't believe that I missed it in March Hope there was something similar about the Eclipse. We are going to sail on her for a two weeks Baltic cruise this summer. This is going to be our third Solstice class cruise' date=' after the Equinox and Silhouette. Again, thanks for the beautiful pictures and all the information. [/quote']

RVfromAZ: Thank you so much for the amazing photos!!! We are sailing on Solstice in August to Alaska' date=' it will be our first cruise on a Solstice class....so excited!!!!!! I wonder how the lawn will do in colder weather?[/quote']

Ohana Travel: Terry' date=' Mahalo nui loa! what an incredible batch of photos. as others have said, it has truly increased my excitement for my first celebrity cruise. so many of your photos did such a good job of showing the scale of the ship. I know it is big, but I hadn't realized just how big. your photos did an excellent job of putting it all in perspective. thank you for taking the time to put it all together in one place! [/quote']

Super WOW!!! What a great night picture of the Solstice in the scenic Sydney Harbor with the dramatic bridge, etc. Exciting, wonderful picture. Will share on our roll call for our upcoming Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland cruise.

Appreciate the added nice comments and follow-ups, including from pattyj 1204 and Karen@Steve. Glad that boeckli keeps sharing more good visuals. Don't be shy!! Keep the pictures, comments, etc., rolling along. Let us know any questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 128,912 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Edited by TLCOhio

Went to Rakkiat & Helena's photo link at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rakkiat.helena/CelebritySolsticeShip#

to see 163 different pictures on and around the Solstice. Lots of interesting visuals, especially those done at night. These were from their April 2013 cruise on "our" Solstice ship. It all helps building the excitement and fun for our trip. They have done lots of great traveling since they got married in 2007. There are also a number of pictures from Sydney that I might post more from there on our roll call.

TECHNICAL QUESTIONS: Wanted to ask on the pictures taken, especially those at night, if a tripod was used, if the images were processed by HDR or high dynamic range, etc.? Any other tips, background, secrets, etc., for the various pictures shared? Appreciate the great postings!! Keep 'em coming.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 128,912 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Thanks for the kind words Terry. The night shots on the ship were mostly handheld except the ones by the pool where I used the rail. For the ones around Sydney I had my tripod with me.

Normally I like to shoot HDR but since I got a new camera last year (Nikon D600) most shots were just Raw with a little touch up in Lightroom. I find the result is comparable, if not better, than the multiple shots merge in Photomatix for the HDR. It has also saved me a lot of time in post processing since in Lightroom editing I will just do one click with my presets and fix some white and black (takes like 10s).

For Sydney pics, all were geotagged. So you can see where they were taken. BTW, thanks to your pics on Solstice. I look at those before we board the ship when I was doing the research on the ship :-)

Thanks for the kind words Terry. The night shots on the ship were mostly handheld except the ones by the pool where I used the rail. For the ones around Sydney I had my tripod with me.

Normally I like to shoot HDR but since I got a new camera last year (Nikon D600) most shots were just Raw with a little touch up in Lightroom. I find the result is comparable, if not better, than the multiple shots merge in Photomatix for the HDR. It has also saved me a lot of time in post processing since in Lightroom editing I will just do one click with my presets and fix some white and black (takes like 10s).

For Sydney pics, all were geotagged. So you can see where they were taken. BTW, thanks to your pics on Solstice. I look at those before we board the ship when I was doing the research on the ship :-)

Impressive pics! thanks for sharing. I'm a Newbie/amateur in photography, just got Sony NEX 6 and learning all the cool features. Did you use a long exposure setting? Interesting how you got so many shots with no people in them. Also what Lightroom presets are you using? Very nice colors!

Thanks for the kind words Terry. The night shots on the ship were mostly handheld except the ones by the pool where I used the rail. For the ones around Sydney I had my tripod with me. Normally I like to shoot HDR but since I got a new camera last year (Nikon D600) most shots were just Raw with a little touch up in Lightroom. I find the result is comparable, if not better, than the multiple shots merge in Photomatix for the HDR. It has also saved me a lot of time in post processing since in Lightroom editing I will just do one click with my presets and fix some white and black (takes like 10s). For Sydney pics, all were geotagged. So you can see where they were taken. BTW, thanks to your pics on Solstice. I look at those before we board the ship when I was doing the research on the ship :-)

Appreciate these added details on your camera, photo approach, etc. Very helpful! Glad to know that the Lightroom worked so well for you. Just did a one-day National Geographic Traveler photo seminar this past weekend. Much was discussed on HDR. I use iPhoto on my MacBook Pro computer and have considered shifting up to their Aperture program for fine-tuning my pictures, etc. I have been super happy with iPhoto, its organizing tools, quick ways to edit, etc. I have posted twenty of your "best of the best" pictures on our roll call to help build more excitement for those on our early January 2014 cruise, the time in Sydney, etc. Four of your pictures involving the Solstice in this great setting are shown below from different angles and at different times.

THANKS for your wonderful photos! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 129,101 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here are four shots involving the Solstice docked with the famed Sydney skyline in the background, the Opera House nearby, nighttime excitement, etc. Great visuals!!:

RakSolticeDockedSkyline_zps7277dd46.jpg

RakOperaHouseSolstice_zps1b757444.jpg

RakBridgeUnderOpHouseSkyline_zpsc2902f60.jpg

RakNightUnderBridge_zps6537e005.jpg

Impressive pics! thanks for sharing. I'm a Newbie/amateur in photography, just got Sony NEX 6 and learning all the cool features. Did you use a long exposure setting? Interesting how you got so many shots with no people in them. Also what Lightroom presets are you using? Very nice colors!

Appreciate these added details on your camera, photo approach, etc. Very helpful! Glad to know that the Lightroom worked so well for you. Just did a one-day National Geographic Traveler photo seminar this past weekend. Much was discussed on HDR. I use iPhoto on my MacBook Pro computer and have considered shifting up to their Aperture program for fine-tuning my pictures, etc. I have been super happy with iPhoto, its organizing tools, quick ways to edit, etc. I have posted twenty of your "best of the best" pictures on our roll call to help build more excitement for those on our early January 2014 cruise, the time in Sydney, etc. Four of your pictures involving the Solstice in this great setting are shown below from different angles and at different times.

THANKS for your wonderful photos! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I'm happy to share and glad to hear you guys enjoyed the pics. Hmmm I just realized my Solstice album does not have all the exif data. Must be this lightroom 5 beta that I'm testing it out. I hope I don't get this thread off topic with all the camara answers.

Anyhow, most of the pics on the ship (except the pool) have slow shutter speed but nothing that can't be done with handheld shot. I don't think any of them were over 1 second. This is where the fullframe camera have advantage when the scene have low light. Some of the shots have high iso like 3200 and are still useable. But don't get me wrong, the NEX 6 is an excellent camera. I have seen some pics from my friend with NEX 7 and it's even older than NEX6? Plus all the new Nikon camera comes with Sony sensor now.

As for no one around in the pics, I took them around dinner time where everyone was either getting ready for dinner or at the dinner. Usually after 5pm most places were kind of empty. Or if I want to take a pic...I'll just wait with my camera in the middle of the hall/room for the scene to be cleared. People on the ship were so nice and polite that they moved out of the way or apologized as they walked by.

As for the presets, its just something I used and like. I set the highlights to -100, shadows +100, and have the lens correction on. That's it. This will bring out all the details like sky or the dark scene. Then I fixed the white (holding down alt key, or option key in mac) and slide it to the right until I see a white spot. Same as for black (holding alt) and slide to the left until I see a few black spots. So the process is like 10s. One click on the preset, slide to right for white, left for black, done. And if you have multiple shots with the same lighting you can sync them all with one extra click. I hope this is not too much info :-)

Terry - thank you for reposting/sharing the pics and specially the credit. I'm disappointed that the "best of the best" don't have my face in any of them :-) Must be people from CC, my pics view count is now like 270+!!! You should give Lightroom a shot. It's just like iPhoto but more powerful and everyone is using it. So there are a lot of tutorial, presets, etc. available on the web. Also, for HDR, please beware that once you start shooting HDR, you will be addicted and will shoot all HDR from now on.

Thanks Terry for the GREAT photos! I know how time consuming it is to sift through 100's of photos trying to pick out the best ones, and then editing them all to make them look their best. On top of that you have to order them, post them, and put comments!

People only see the finished product and may take the process for granted, but I'm sure everyone appreciates the end result and how great they look.

Of course, you can get the same result with the D80. Most pics in my album have all the settings and even location! But depending on your lens, you may have to increase the expose time to like 5 or even 10 seconds to get the sliky water look. (hence the need of the tripod)

Thanks Terry for the GREAT photos! I know how time consuming it is to sift through 100's of photos trying to pick out the best ones, and then editing them all to make them look their best. On top of that you have to order them, post them, and put comments! People only see the finished product and may take the process for granted, but I'm sure everyone appreciates the end result and how great they look.

POPDISPLAY: Is it possible to get results like this from a Nikon D80? Remarkable photos. I hate talented people.

thamanrp: Of course' date=' you can get the same result with the D80. Most pics in my album have all the settings and even location! But depending on your lens, you may have to increase the expose time to like 5 or even 10 seconds to get the sliky water look. (hence the need of the tripod) [/quote']

As correctly noted by the talented thamanrp, a D80 and/or other DSL cameras can give you very good results. It goes back to those old questions/comments to someone preparing a great meal, doing a wonderful music concert solo or painting a great work of art. What set of pots and pans do you use? What kind of violin do you have? What kind of paintbrush do you use? The tools used are important!! BUT, it is ultimately the skill and creativity of the cook, violin player and artist that makes the big difference for what you see, hear, taste, enjoy and praise. Most dining place kitchens have most all of the same "tools", but the top places have chefs, leadership and creative drive to take them to the highest food quality levels.

TRIPODS?: For some night situations, a tripod will be needed to get certain great looks. BUT, on my last two cruises, I took a tripod, but never used it. Always trade-offs!! Tripod set-ups can take more time and hassle. When traveling with others, including your wife, they won't put up with too much delay and photo fiddling. You've got to be ready to "grab and go" quickly, efficiently. Even without a tripod, you can still get longer exposures by leaning against solid structures, using your body in a smart way, etc.

Appreciate so much the great comments and understanding from We Go Cruise Brah. Yes, it does require some time to download, sort, fine-tune, etc., such cruise pictures. BUT, it is also part of the "learning process" as you travel, figure out what works and doesn't, being focused and thinking on getting better pictures, bringing back cruise memories,etc. With my MacBook Pro laptop and iPhoto, it is fairly easy, quick and efficient to sort through, organize, rate and fine-tune the various pictures. Some, like my wife, will read books on cruises during spare time. I like to play with and enjoy the visuals. It is a part of doing what we enjoy and like to do. And on long plane flights, working on the photos helps the time pass more quickly, provide great fun, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 129,593 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Appreciate, Lucy, your kind follow-up and comments. Yes, I will be doing a live/blog for our trip. Your 17-day "Tahitian Treasures" cruise sounds great as it will include Bay Of Islands/NZ, Auckland, Papeete/Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora and then finishing in Honolulu, Hawaii.

For our overall big, big trip, including going to Hawaii, plus around inside Australia, we will have 15 different air flights on five different airlines. This includes four flights with American to Hawaii and back, four with Hawaiian including to Brisbane and back, four with Qantas, two with Rex Air for the Kangaroo Island connection and one with Virgin Australia from Adelaide to Sydney. Ten of the 15 flights will be in either business or first class. That will help with the overall "experience" and make things easier to endure. We won't get to see everything in Australia, but with stops in and around Cairns/Port Douglas, Adelaide/Kangaroo Island, Sydney and Hobart, Tasmania, we will make a good start on that sampling. What part of South Australia do you live and any special tips, ideas, secrets to share?

It looks like your April Sydney to Honolulu roll call has had a good amount of activity and interest. Let me know any added questions on the Solstice and during my live/blog, don't be shy. Ask any questions as we are sailing, photos needed, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 127,718 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hi Terry, was just looking at your photos again and realised I didn't respond to you - sorry. I live in Adelaide, which a beautiful city, just really not that big. Well if you are into wine, then we have absolute fantastic wineries here, wether that be the barossa valley, the Adelaide hills or mclaren vale - you'll be in for a treat. We also have fantastic food, lots of great restaurants and bars. When will you be here? The end of January the tour down under is on, if you are into cycling. I'm ashamed to say I have lived here all my life, and still I have not been to kangaroo island, but have only heard great things about it. I guess it just sll depends on what you are into.

Lucy

Hi Terry, was just looking at your photos again and realised I didn't respond to you - sorry. I live in Adelaide, which a beautiful city, just really not that big. Well if you are into wine, then we have absolute fantastic wineries here, wether that be the barossa valley, the Adelaide hills or mclaren vale - you'll be in for a treat. We also have fantastic food, lots of great restaurants and bars. When will you be here? The end of January the tour down under is on, if you are into cycling. I'm ashamed to say I have lived here all my life, and still I have not been to kangaroo island, but have only heard great things about it. I guess it just sll depends on what you are into. Lucy

Appreciate, Lucy, your follow-up and added information. We will be overnight in Adelaide for Jan. 16 and 18. It will be Jan. 17 that we are overnight on Kangaroo Island. Surprised that you have not, yet, been to K.I. Don't think we'll be able to do any of the excellent wineries there in the area, but we will have two evening times for dining delights. Keep those great ideas, comments and tips rolling along.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,550 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I am ready - loved the pictures looks like we will be on this ship in Jan. with you :) ...... hope my pictures will be 1/3 as good as yours. Will direct all my friend to this section to show our boat - Thanks Silvia and Rudy

Wow I am ready - loved the pictures looks like we will be on this ship in Jan. with you :) ...... hope my pictures will be 1/3 as good as yours. Will direct all my friend to this section to show our boat - Thanks Silvia and Rudy

Appreciate your kind and nice comments on this posting and the pictures from the Solstice. The credit goes to the ship and its great designers. From the below live/blog, there is lots more about life on the ship, dining places, etc. Happy to share more on photo tips and secrets, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,909 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you Terry for posting these great pictures and all the info. I have friends that will be sailing on the Solstice to Alaska for their 30th wedding anniversary. This is their first cruise and I know your pics will get them even more excited.

Appreciate your nice comments. Best wishes for your friends on their 30th wedding anniversary and this first-time cruising adventure. On this June 2011 cruise' date=' it was our 39th anniversary celebration. This week, just passed our 41st marker. Since this is their first cruise, they can looking, also, through the full live/blog connected below to get more examples and details for cruise life on the classy Solstice. Happy to answer any added questions through this live/blog connection.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 134,217 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at: