LOST LUGGAGE ** Please help!!!**

Mel&Ken

I am hoping someone has a connection for me - phone number or email.

We just disembarked from the Celebrity Reflection on our 11 day Med cruise today only to find both our suitcases are missing. Gone.

So all our clothes, souvenirs, shoes...everything. We put it outside our room last night and now its gone.

I am trying to make some calls here from Rome but every number on the Celebrity site is an 800 number and won't work from here. Does anyone have an actual direct line?

The staff believe as its both pieces it was just put on the wrong bus and will "turn up" but as its now been missing for 9 hours we're losing hope and just want to know we're not forgotten - that someone is watching for our bags.

Any help will be appreciated.

Melissa

It would help to know what city you are in. The best thing is to be very proactive. call local numbers for airport if you are flying, the local port agent as well as the customs and immigration people. We were in Barcelona a few years ago and it took three days to find our luggage. Finally went to airport and checked the mountain of bags. Some of the European cities are lackadaisical about luggage. I also always keep a bag with me with important stuff, including papers, things I bought and clothes. Not everything should be sent off for the cruise line to handle.

I believe that the OP stated that she was in Rome and had just departed ship. Calling the airport would be on no help unless the bags were being automatically transferred. I would however contact the port agent. That number should be located on the disembarkment papers.

Thank you for your quick replies...I was able to be transferred to the Lost Luggage department where they started a report. She said it can take up to 2 weeks and that they contact the port, airport etc looking for the bags.

We of course have our valuables with us - papers, cameras, jewelry etc. but there was no way we could fit 11 days of souvenir shopping into our carry ons.

While not considered valuable - 11 days of clothes, shoes, purses, belts, scarves will certainly cost a lot to replace if it gets to that. I am sure what we're compensated won't be enough to replace it all.

Just a crappy way to end what has been an amazing trip so far. Ironically we are the couple that packs half our clothes in each suitcase just in case one gets lost - not much help when they both do.

Again - thanks for the help and the kind words.

I looked through some old daily programs and online for the info for Celebrity's port agent in Civitavecchia and couldn't find it, but I did find the info for Princess's port agent. It might be the same and if not they'll know who Celebrity uses:

Ant. Bellettieri and Co.

SRL Largo Plebiscito 23/4

Civitavecchia, Italy 00053

Telephone: 39-0766-5861

Thank you for your quick replies...I was able to be transferred to the Lost Luggage department where they started a report. She said it can take up to 2 weeks and that they contact the port, airport etc looking for the bags.

We of course have our valuables with us - papers, cameras, jewelry etc. but there was no way we could fit 11 days of souvenir shopping into our carry ons.

While not considered valuable - 11 days of clothes, shoes, purses, belts, scarves will certainly cost a lot to replace if it gets to that. I am sure what we're compensated won't be enough to replace it all.

Just a crappy way to end what has been an amazing trip so far. Ironically we are the couple that packs half our clothes in each suitcase just in case one gets lost - not much help when they both do.

Again - thanks for the help and the kind words.

So sorry to read about your luggage being lost! What a way to get a new wardrobe. Hopefully the bags will show up soon, keep on them.

If you booked with a TA, you might contact your agent, they can work with cruise line and help expidite things from State side.

Similar instance, A person in our group had a suitcase that went missing at disembarkation on a carribean cruise and the TA was able to get it track it down and we found out it was still on the ship for the next cruise and she finally got it back once the ship returned to port.

Larry...thank you so much - I will give them a call.

Travellover.....sadly I almost got a new wardrobe for this trip. I got some great new pieces and really enjoyed wearing them - I will be sad if they don't come back to me! But I like your way of thinking!

tlcoke....we booked direct with Celebrity so no TA to call. I do find comfort that your friend found hers though...thanks for that.

Right now we're trying to pick our chins up and enjoy our next 2 days in Rome. After all....we have our passports, our money, our camera and each other - that's all it takes right?!

Did you have transfers into the city? I don't understand why you were not just picking the bags up in the big area in the terminal? not sure where "put on the wrong bus" plays in to this as obviously you were not going straight to the airport.

But good luck! I hope the bags show up before you leave Rome!

tlcoke....we booked direct with Celebrity so no TA to call. I do find comfort that your friend found hers though...thanks for that.

Right now we're trying to pick our chins up and enjoy our next 2 days in Rome. After all....we have our passports, our money, our camera and each other - that's all it takes right?!

You'd be surprised....these things ussually work out. Its missing but not lost right now....all hoe is not lost. Much more often than not people get the bag back. If you have travel insurance it should cover delays as well as a full loss. I truly hope you get your souveniers and clothes back.......we had this happen once and we got the bag back unharmed.

Our luggage did not turn up in Amsterdam following a Celebrity cruise. Fortunately, we had an overnight there because Celebrity was of no assistance at all, it was our hotel that got numbers for us and helped us if we ran into language difficulties.

We turned in a claim form to the cruise line but all it amounts to is a description of the bag we allegedly entrusted to them and our hotel information where we would be. I doubt the piece of paper would have helped collecting insurance if the company got hard nosed wanting proof we actually did turn it over to Celebrity.

We finally located it by calling the port lost and found. We got lucky in that an employee went to the warehouse and looked for it. I was sure he would hang up the phone, go eat dinner, come back and say he looked and looked, no dice. It took us all afternoon and evening, though. It was delivered to our hotel that night--no charge.

On the suitcase was 1) the disembarkation color tag (2 on each suitcase); 2) our name on the tags; 3) our name on the airline required ID tag; 4) inside, on top, of the unlocked bag was our complete itinerary including the hotel and phone number where we were at.

In other words, we were toast-gone-move on to the next load of passengers. there is no excuse on why they didn't follow up when they turned it over to the port authority. I now disembark all luggage and I don't care if it is a steamer trunk (lol).

Good luck!

Tucker in Texas

I know this won't help the OP, but to others reading this: I always put a luggage tag that has our cell phone number, ship name a& sailing date, and the names and dates of any pre or post cruise hotels. If our luggage ever get's misplaced then I want to make it easy for someone to reconnect it to us.

I've read the suggestion to put some of this info inside your bag, and we sometimes do that as well, but I don't think that really does much as I doubt anyone searches through the contents of lost luggage, other than thieves, until after it is sold at an unclaimed items auction.

Edited by Lsimon

Did you have transfers into the city? I don't understand why you were not just picking the bags up in the big area in the terminal? not sure where "put on the wrong bus" plays in to this as obviously you were not going straight to the airport.

But good luck! I hope the bags show up before you leave Rome!

The OP said they never saw the bags again after they were put out the night before they left the ship. I'm sure they tried to pick up the bags in the big area in the terminal. I get mega stressed if we can't see our bags in among that sea of bags. Even tried self disembarkation once to save the worry but it was just too much hassle dragging big bags around. No help whatsoever in this instance but we have taken out a subscription to an agency who will trace your bags on your behalf. They supply tags with bar codes and claim (never had to try it, thank goodness) that they will track lost bags. The fee was nothing in comparison to losing our luggage. Really hope Mel and Ken get some help soon.

If you did, and if it covers lost luggage, try calling the insurance rep's number. One of our insurance policies had a 24 hour 'concierge' number that claimed to help with situations like this. Might not help, but even if they can't be of immediate assistance, it might be a good idea to have your early report on file in case you need to make a later claim.

I know this won't help the OP, but to others reading this: I always put a luggage tag that has our cell phone number, ship name a& sailing date, and the names and dates of any pre or post cruise hotels. If our luggage ever get's misplaced then I want to make it easy for someone to reconnect it to us.

I've read the suggestion to put some of this info inside your bag, and we sometimes do that as well, but I don't think that really does much as I doubt anyone searches through the contents of lost luggage, other than thieves, until after it is sold at an unclaimed items auction.

I do the exact same thing. I also put the info in the luggage(usually right on top) in case the tags on the outside disappear.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sun dancer, can you please post or PM me with the name of the agency that affords coverage to trace lost luggage. We had a harrowing experience in Rome kast year prior to our Med cruise on the Silouette where our limo transfer driver from a well respected agengy used by folks here on CC left our luggage on the sidewalk in a square in Rome while trying to reposition our group's luggage in the van. Thankfully it was returned to the hotel but our concierge went to great lengths to trace us thru Celebrity, as the hotel did not know on which ship we were cruising. And of course Celebrity was trying to locate the bags on the pier, as some of our luggage did make it on to the ship. Celebrity and the Hotel had no way to communicate. This service would be invaluable for those who combine land and sea tours in Europe, Asia and South America. Thanks.

We are from the UK and it is likely that this company only covers UK travellers. The company is called Calluma. There is something similar in the USA called Trace Me Luggage Tracker. As I said, we have never had occassion to use this service and I hope we never will but it does give some degree of reassurance when travelling. I hope I'm not breaking any CC rules by posting this information.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get a phone call soon saying someone has it. We have had a scare that caused a lot of anxiety until the person who took our suitcase came walking back in with it. We were just about to leave the port as we were running out of time for our flight. Keep us posted.

Edited by maggieq

On one of our past cruises, on disembarkation, another couple accidentally took our luggage. We figured this out a few hours later when there was just luggage for one couple on the dock. The cruise line was able to track down that couple - who were on the way to the airport. At the airport, the cruise line representative got our luggage and returned it to the port. It was a long wait, but we finally got it back. So, I'd suggest seeing if there is any left over luggage from your cruise. Hope this works. Gail

I can't thank everyone enough for their help but also their kind words. I think we can all relate to the feeling of lost luggage - even if only for a few minutes.

To answer a few questions....no phone call yet. :mad:

We only requested our luggage be brought to the terminal - so an easy 9 floors from our room. We had a private transfer (which thankfully waited over an hour for us while we searched) so there is no reason for it to have been on any buses. Having said that I get that you never know!

We had 2 departure tags on each bag, personalized luggage tags with our cell and info to reach us in Rome and info inside which I also think is only there for thieves.

We have insurance and I know that gives us some financial relief but there are things that we just can't replace exactly. Not to mention the hassle of trying to do so.

Everything is closed now but I will be calling the airport and port lost and found tomorrow to see if something is sitting there. We did stay in the terminal until almost all the bags were gone so it doesn't appear that someone took both of ours in error. Plus every bag from our area of 62 was gone as well.

Our transfer company did call to see if they could help in any way so I may just take them up on it. Shockingly they were more helpful and sympathetic than Celebrity was.

I still hold out hope and with so many of you saying this happened to you I feel somewhat better, like there is still hope.

We only requested our luggage be brought to the terminal - so an easy 9 floors from our room. We had a private transfer (which thankfully waited over an hour for us while we searched) so there is no reason for it to have been on any buses. Having said that I get that you never know!

The "bus" confusion on this thread is because of the original statement that your made. ;)

The staff believe as its both pieces it was just put on the wrong bus and will "turn up" but as its now been missing for 9 hours we're losing hope and just want to know we're not forgotten - that someone is watching for our bags.

Did you have souvenirs in both suitcases and were they unlocked? If so, your bags could have been taken by someone on the ship to take your souvenirs out. We have been warned not to put them in the hallway bags. We rarely buy much because of that fact and the fact that we don't have room for them with all of our belongings. :D

I do hope that your baggage is returned to you. Enjoy Roma! :)

Edited by Iamthesea

The bus excuse is what the port employees gave me. They said since both bags were missing and just our bags - they didn't feel someone accidently took them or mistook them for their own. Their theory is that a porter for some reason loaded our bags on a bus. He seemed to keep referring to a Canadian group after we mentioned that our personal luggage tags had a maple leaf on them.

They were not locked. I personally think luggage locks are ineffective. I mean if a crew member is going to take the time to take both our bags that little lock won't stop them from getting inside. None of the souvenirs will be of value to anyone else - sundried tomatoes from Santorini, spices from Turkey, scarves and sandals from Greece.....that kind of thing.

But I will say I have always felt uneasy just leaving my bags there. I toyed with the idea of taking my own luggage off the ship but opted for convenience instead. A big regret as I wake up in Rome this morning.