2 weeks before sailing, sudden unpaid balance & RCI threaten to cancel cruise

My cruise on the Allure, which leaves next week Sunday and has been paid in full since August, now suddenly shows an unpaid balance of €2.10.

I wasn't worrying, after having read another thread on CC that other peole have noticed the same after this weekend's site upgrade, but now I just received a mail from RCI that if I don't pay up in 48 hours, my cruise is in jeopardy of being cancelled . Here's the mail in full:"

Greetings from Royal Caribbean:

Your vacation experience is less than 2 months away. This is a friendly reminder that you have a balance due on your upcoming cruise. You can either pay it on our website at www.royalcaribbean.com or you can call our office in the USA (305) 341-0204. If we do not receive your payment in the next 48 hours, your reservation is in jeopardy of being cancelled

Very bad show! I'll give them a call later today, which is not cheap either as I'm in Europe, so the call may cost more than the €2.10 balance due they claim I have, but I'm not just going to pay up!

I am leaving in febuary and so was going to pay the rest of my balance this week. Now that their system is back up and they said I did not even pay my deposit of over a thousand dollars and it is showing that I have to pay the full amount. I gave them the deposit in January and thy said it did not show on their system anything. Good thing I have my visa to show I did pay them. Maybe this is a way to resell a cabin at a higher amount When I asked them then how do I have a confirmed room if they don't see a deposit. All they said was I don't know. Thank god for visa receipt

Well, just got off the line with RCI and on their side my booking is listed as paid in full, so they told me to ignore the mail threatening to cancel my cruise... They emailed me the invoice showing I've paid so I guess that puts my mind at ease.

My parents in law are joining us on this cruise and also received the mail telling them their cruise is about to be cancelled, so my next job is to convince them it's not because I just kept their money and instead of paying off their cruise with it, spent it all on liquor and gambling :D

I'm glad that I'm not working in their accounting department today! :eek: I think they have a serious mess on their hands.

Our final payment day is TODAY. After this weekend's updates, I am showing a $7 balance although a quick phone call to RCI says that they are showing a zero balance. My daughter is showing a credit of $2,441.50 which I believe is what her cruise cost. Maybe they'll give her obc :D

It makes me a bit nervous that final payment is today and balances are all messed up. We paid off our cruise about two months ago.

cruiserke;40474303']Well' date=' just got off the line with RCI and on their side my booking is listed as paid in full, so they told me to ignore the mail threatening to cancel my cruise... They emailed me the invoice showing I've paid so I guess that puts my mind at ease.

My parents in law are joining us on this cruise and also received the mail telling them their cruise is about to be cancelled, so my next job is to convince them it's not because I just kept their money and instead of paying off their cruise with it, spent it all on liquor and gambling :D[/quote']

After reading your post, I went online and checked my bookings. Every one was off anywhere from $3.50 to $5.00, including our upcoming NYE cruise (which was fully paid off a long time ago.) I've been online with C&A for about a half hour now, and they can't see any of the increases that I'm seeing on their systems, so they've escalated the problem to IT to figure out what was going on.:o

We are supposed to be able to print our docs today for our fully paid trip in Dec. I can't even access their site, it keeps saying "The system is currently unable to handle your request for retrieving your reservation."So I cannot tell if my balance is messed up, since they cannot even find my reservation number. I just called, and he said they are experiencing "difficulties" and the website should be up and fixed by noon eastern time.

I'm not gonna bet the farm that it will be fixed in an hour and 12 minutes.

After reading your post, I went online and checked my bookings. Every one was off anywhere from $3.50 to $5.00, including our upcoming NYE cruise (which was fully paid off a long time ago.) I've been online with C&A for about a half hour now, and they can't see any of the increases that I'm seeing on their systems, so they've escalated the problem to IT to figure out what was going on.:o

From reading the other threads on this mess, it seems that a lot of the small balances due are tip related. Tips had a $0.70 per day increase that seems to be the culprit. Is the cruise that is $3.50 off a 5 day cruise and the one that is $4.90 off a 7 day cruise?

This is one of the main reasons I will never pay in full, the day it is due. I pay our cruises off within 2 months of final, this way I have a receipt/invoice from my TA showing all payments and balances. After reading some of the posts yesterday regarding unpaid balances showing up, I immediately checked ours and we were showing ok. We have 4 months before we sail so not as close as most of you are.

From reading the other threads on this mess, it seems that a lot of the small balances due are tip related. Tips had a $0.70 per day increase that seems to be the culprit. Is the cruise that is $3.50 off a 5 day cruise and the one that is $4.90 off a 7 day cruise?

That was my guess as well, but since there are two of us, that scenario would have doubled the increase to $7.00 and $9.80 respectively.

Just booked a 2015 cruise using the new system, and the balcony discount was automatically applied. It was applied directly against my cruise fare, and before any taxes/insurance were calculated. The result is I'm paying $30 less for my cruise insurance than my wife now:cool:

cruiserke;40474303']Well' date=' just got off the line with RCI and on their side my booking is listed as paid in full, so they told me to ignore the mail threatening to cancel my cruise... They emailed me the invoice showing I've paid so I guess that puts my mind at ease.

My parents in law are joining us on this cruise and also received the mail telling them their cruise is about to be cancelled, so my next job is to convince them it's not because I just kept their money and instead of paying off their cruise with it, spent it all on liquor and gambling :D[/quote']

I would print up the email showing that it is paid in full. would not want to take a chance, I have been screwed by a number of people. I learned a long time ago to print things out showing what is the truth. Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me. And I would also call them in a couple of days to clarify that everything is good. Not saying that they would do that but it is better being safe then sorry.

There is NO WAY I would take a chance on my cruise getting cancelled over less than three dollars! :eek: I would definitely want an explanation though.

I would pay it just to ensure it isn't cancelled and then contact them via email.

... After this weekend's updates, I am showing a $7 balance although a quick phone call to RCI says that they are showing a zero balance. My daughter is showing a credit of $2,441.50 which I believe is what her cruise cost. Maybe they'll give her obc :D...
AH SO - maybe your daughter hacked the system and is charging everyone a small amount of money and diverting it to her account.:p

Well, their system is completely fubar...

We have two cabins on next week's Allure cruise, both of which showed the same inexplicable due balance of €2.10.

Though I was assured on the phone with RCI that I didn't have to make any further payments I decided $3 wasn't worth worrying myself crazy for until next week so I just paid the amount on one of the two reservations and, lo and behold, suddenly the other reservation's due balance has disappeared...

Let's hope this doesn't encourage RCI to keep trying to add phantom due balances on a daily basis...

One thing I want to add is they also got the single supplement all messed up. It simply doubled all published fare accross all sailings.

Normally, only the base fare is doubled, other cost portion is per person, so normally you get an average of 180% if your solo cabin, not an exact 200%.

So I paid the extra $4.90 just to see what would happen (and it was bothering me every time I looked at my reservation). I checked my reservation this morning and guess what, the $4.90 balance is back. :( I will not be paying this one.

Wow this looks like a big glitch in their system somewhere. I have no way to check our paid in full cruise for March as it is thru our TA. I would hate for us to arrive in Sydney and find a balance awaits us.:eek:

Big is an understatement:eek: After spending almost an hour on the phone yesterday with C&A and having them both confirm what (if anything) I owed on upcoming cruises, and sending me new invoices showing what they were seeing on their systems (which didn't show any discrepancies with my records), I go online this morning to check again, and all of my deposits that were confirmed as being there yesterday are gone today:eek:

My best advice would be to call C&A (or have your TA call) and have them send you a booking invoice for all of your upcoming cruises so you have a record of what their systems are seeing.

Archived