Balconies on the Royal

Squire5000

In an earlier post, I noted how much my wife and I enjoyed our recent cruise on the Royal Princess. However, my wife correctly pointed out that I tended to gloss over the balcony issue on the ship.

We had a mini suite on the Royal, port side, Riviera deck. The stateroom was on the angle just as the Skywalk bar begins under the blue lights. The square footage of the balcony was 72SF as compared to 36SF on a regular balcony.

On all of our previous Princess sailings, we have been able to book a regular balcony stateroom, never a mini suite, the size of a regular balcony stateroom being adequate for our needs. When we saw the size of the deluxe balcony we originally booked (36SF) that was a deal breaker for us.

We use the balcony extensively on a cruise from a cup of coffee in the morning, in the afternoon after we leave the pool area, for a drink prior to dinner and after dinner just relaxing. 36SF is just too small. Our only option was to upgrade to a mini suite at a cost increase of about $1,000. We were not wild about this prospect but we wanted to sail on the Royal so we bit the bullet and glad we did.

The foot print for the chairs on the balcony is 29" deep. This is just for the chair legs and does not take into account the back of the chair which reclines. Sitting straight up in the chair for any length of time is a bit uncomfortable. Taking into account the chair back and your legs and feet, you eat up the 48" depth of the balcony pretty quickly. We observed some of the "regular" balconies from our stateroom and noted that nearly all balcony chairs were positioned so that you would face each other while sitting on the balcony with the round table between each person. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that unless you like to look out directly on the ocean from your balcony.

While on the Royal we talked about booking the Regal for a November cruise figuring that a mini might be a bit cheaper in November than in February. Not so. We find it hard to justify nearly $4000 (not including air, hotel, transfers, etc.) for a 7 day cruise in November the cost entirely driven by the small balconies Princess opted for on the Royal/Regal.

Sadly, we've booked a November cruise on another line at a significant cost savings over the Regal and a much larger stateroom/balcony.

In an earlier post, I noted how much my wife and I enjoyed our recent cruise on the Royal Princess. However, my wife correctly pointed out that I tended to gloss over the balcony issue on the ship.

We had a mini suite on the Royal, port side, Riviera deck. The stateroom was on the angle just as the Skywalk bar begins under the blue lights. The square footage of the balcony was 72SF as compared to 36SF on a regular balcony.

On all of our previous Princess sailings, we have been able to book a regular balcony stateroom, never a mini suite, the size of a regular balcony stateroom being adequate for our needs. When we saw the size of the deluxe balcony we originally booked (36SF) that was a deal breaker for us.

We use the balcony extensively on a cruise from a cup of coffee in the morning, in the afternoon after we leave the pool area, for a drink prior to dinner and after dinner just relaxing. 36SF is just too small. Our only option was to upgrade to a mini suite at a cost increase of about $1,000. We were not wild about this prospect but we wanted to sail on the Royal so we bit the bullet and glad we did.

The foot print for the chairs on the balcony is 29" deep. This is just for the chair legs and does not take into account the back of the chair which reclines. Sitting straight up in the chair for any length of time is a bit uncomfortable. Taking into account the chair back and your legs and feet, you eat up the 48" depth of the balcony pretty quickly. We observed some of the "regular" balconies from our stateroom and noted that nearly all balcony chairs were positioned so that you would face each other while sitting on the balcony with the round table between each person. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that unless you like to look out directly on the ocean from your balcony.

While on the Royal we talked about booking the Regal for a November cruise figuring that a mini might be a bit cheaper in November than in February. Not so. We find it hard to justify nearly $4000 (not including air, hotel, transfers, etc.) for a 7 day cruise in November the cost entirely driven by the small balconies Princess opted for on the Royal/Regal.

Sadly, we've booked a November cruise on another line at a significant cost savings over the Regal and a much larger stateroom/balcony.

The prices will all drop. We have had 3 price drops in the past year on our cabin on the Royal.

The larger balconies are also available on the regular cabins, not just mini-suites.

I'd be interested in what balcony cabins have a balcony over 36SF

Sure. You can find them on Emerald and Dolphin decks mid ship. Examples can be found on the Royal deck plans. Here are some cabin numbers D 421,425, 429, both starboard and port. They are in the same section of the ship on Emerald deck also.

Edited by Mom33

Think Grand or Crown Class.....:):):)

Bob

I am patient waiting for regal pricing. But now I'm worried that its out of my price range

We booked an obstructed view deluxe balcony for $1K/pp in July for a January sailing on Royal. Mini-suites were $1899 at the time we booked.

We were upgraded, at no cost, to a mini-suite days before sailing. I checked the mini-suite pricing and it was only $200 more per person than our original cabin.

YMMV but there is flexibility in pricing from booking to sail date. We also had great cruises on our other two Princess cruises, even though they weren't brand new ships.

I just upgraded from a deluxe balcony $928 pp to a mini suite $1099 pp for

our April cruise. You just need to watch pricing. Our deluxe balcony was

$1328 when we originally booked. Had a least 4 price drops.

Elaine

Sure. You can find them on Emerald and Dolphin decks mid ship. Examples can be found on the Royal deck plans. Here are some cabin numbers D 421,425, 429, both starboard and port. They are in the same section of the ship on Emerald deck also.

Thank you

We are boarding the Royal on Sunday for a trial run on this class of ship. Based on everything we have read we may well be right back to the Coral/Island with you!

Everything you've read was negative? Anyone who would give the Royal such negative reviews doesn't belong on a cruise ship. Go with a positive attitude and don't look for what's wrong...you may find a couple of things but nothing that you can't get over in an hour or so. Everyone seems to love the Coral/Island, even I. But since those ships are behind us, get on that ship next week and have a ball! :)

I just booked an angled balcony cabin on the Regal for next year. It's on Lido deck right next to the pool area. I love cabins on Lido deck for convenience, but not sure if we'll have any noise issues. Our daughter has cabin next to ours and we're hoping to open the divider between us. Has anyone had this cabin, or know about it?