Live from Holland Oosterdam May 25, Vancouver-Anchorage-Denali 21night Alaska trip

aerospace

This will be my first live review but I will make it as interesting as possible. I plan on taking 1000+ photos and will post the best ship pics, food pics, animal sightings, and scenic views. About me: I'm 33, live near Dallas Tx, and quit my job to travel 2 1/2 years ago. I've done more than 6months at sea in the past 2 years and much land travel as well.

Review point of view:

• Experienced cruiser (30 complete), but Holland newbie
  • Alaska Veteran: 6 weeks(2 weeks in '12 and 4 weeks in '13), but first time Denali.
  • Traveling Solo this trip

I have started this post before leaving (May 23) so that if anyone has a request or question that I might be able to answer they can think on it and post here. Would you like photos of crows nest, train photos, pics of the wine menu, opinions on shore excursions to do in ports, etc? I've done many of them before and will be doing some new ones to share my experience live here. Are you going on Oosterdam later this year and need ship specific info; ask and I'll find out. The best way for this review to be good is to tell me what you want to see. :)

Itinerary

Sat May 24 Depart 3am, flying Dallas to Portland on United.

May 24 2pm, transfer to Amtrak station, Portland to Vancouver by train

May 25 noon, board Holland Oosterdam

May 26 sea day

May 27 Ketchikan AK, 7am-3pm

May 28 Juneau AK, 9am-10pm

May 29 Skagway AK, 7am-9pm

May 30 cruising, Glacier Bay National Park

May 31 sea day

June 1 Arrival Seward AK 6am, transfer to Anchorage AK

June 1-5 Lodging Anchorage 4N

June 5, transfer to Denali National Park

June 5-11, lodging Denali 6N

June 11, transfer to Anchorage airport

June 12 Depart 2am to Denver CO on Frontier Air

June 12-16 Lodging Denver Co 4N

June 16 Depart for Dallas TX

c9a1aa_93d366e7c6ec4aff95e6e27e2a108f53.jpg_srz_p_811_604_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^teaser photo from last year, many more to come

See photos from some of my past trips on my blog (in signature)

Yea!!! Excited to see this! We leave in just over two weeks, with land tour first, and then boarding Oosterdam on June 15. We actually will be at Denali the last evening you are there! I don't have any specific questions or photo requests; will just enjoy whatever info you share.

Bon Voyage!!!

Looking forward to your review...we have not done Alaska yet but it is in the books for next year...maybe! Love pictures of anything and everything especially food and scenery...and lots of detail about the ship and your take on the mood of the ship...passengers and staff!! Thanks...love a good review:)

yay! I can't wait to read your love review! I'll be on the Oosterdam in a little over two weeks, followed by a week-long cruisetour. what excursions are you planning on taking?

I'm a big hiker so I'll likely be hitting the trails half the day and if the weather is nice just booking a tour day of. That way if its raining or gloomy I can enjoy the ship, and if it's beautiful go on an 8 hour tour :)

At the moment I'm considering a duck tour in Ketchikan since I haven't done that one yet, maybe ride up the scenic highway in Skagway or hop the ferry to Haines. Juneau has so many things to do who can decide, I think last year I did 2 in one day lol. In Anchorage I booked a 4 hour tour that brings you to Anchorage at the end but you also get to see some sites and stops along the way. There is as animal sanctuary where they keep orphaned and rescued animals; everything from bears to moose, etc. Should be nice if I don't see some on the trip my camera can say hi that day.

I will be wearing my fitbit daily to monitor my activity or lack there of. Just went out on a walk around the area(3.2miles, 5627 steps, 11 flights of stairs or equivalent) to make sure my camera was in order.

c9a1aa_231c52fc16fd47d8b3ed99e048a1bb4d.jpg_srz_p_900_675_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srzc9a1aa_0e96bc07ed2443cd8240369dfcc41019.jpg_srz_p_900_675_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srzc9a1aa_ec63ea41e77844bc80a7cd12bcf2c5d1.jpg_srz_p_900_675_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srzc9a1aa_a05c457a726c4279981b4fdc78986e1d.jpg_srz_p_900_675_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srzc9a1aa_df08dc7fe8fc456780e1938c99d872b9.jpg_srz_p_900_675_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Since someone is bound to ask my camera is a Fuji S4300 16MP with 26X optical zoom, and goes to 180X digital zoom. Bought it last year around this time at Best Buy for about $220 since my other camera got wet and I needed one asap.

First flight today went off without a hitch, second one had a delay of an hour. They needed to replace a light out on the wing and someone ordered a LED and not a bulb, doh! Had 4 hours leeway to my train so I got on with time to spare.

I'm now on Amtrak Cascades Portland to Vancouver by rail. Trip should take about 10.5 hours and is said to be one of the most beautiful train rides you can take in the US. Wifi seems a bit slow but getting better, thinking as we left the station everyone at the station on the same wifi got booted. If it holds up I will upload some shots while we travel. Weather is a bit cloudy but bright and not dark and gloomy. Probably the best you can expect from Oregon.

Chugga chugga, chugga chugga, Choocho ! :)

c9a1aa_ccb80f3137d74f1b81f379a02050aa3f.jpg_1024

^Anyone know who that is supposed to be?

It's an Eskimo on the Alaska Airlines tail livery. We have a friend who swore it was the Devil though. To this day, we still call AS jets "devil planes."

Since someone is bound to ask my camera is a Fuji S4300 16MP with 26X optical zoom, and goes to 180X digital zoom. Bought it last year around this time at Best Buy for about $220 since my other camera got wet and I needed one asap.

Nice pictures! I just bought the similar Fuji S4500 for our trip, so am glad that it can take good photos. I just hope that I learn to use it in time ;)

great start so far....and you gave me an idea...we attempted to do Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver a few years ago but ended up on the bus...due to track work...I had not thought about flying into Portland and doing Amtrak from there....niece lives in Albany:) trying to figure out how to do Alaska...hubs doesn't like to fly but will about every 2-3 years:confused: And Southwest is in his comfort zone...and they fly into Portland:)