Norwegian Cruise Line Enhances Main Dining Menus

LauraS

New menus in MDRs and dinner specials in O'Sheehan's have been on Getaway already for months. Only thing that I can't recall from our cruise in April was the chocoholic night.

Edited by Demonyte

Glad to see an upgrade to the MDR menus. Food was getting a little boring. On the last couple of cruises we pretty much stayed away from the MDR and ate mostly in the Blue Lagoon. I read where the Jewel was also one of the first to get the changes. Can't wait for O'sheehans and the Chicken Pot Pie. :)

Food [in MDR] was getting a little boring. On the last couple of cruises we pretty much stayed away from the MDR and ate mostly in the Blue Lagoon.

I find it hilarious that you are not the first one to mention that daily changing menu in MDRs is boring and therefore they eat mostly in Blue Lagoon that has fixed menu - always. ;) :D

Looking forward to the posts regarding the "enhanced menus". :D

The menus in question are the "new menus" that have been discussed here for months already - ones that have been tested on Breakaway class ships.

Check out the latest Norwegian Cruise Line news from Cruise Critic:

I much preferred the old menus. Couldn't find an appetiser or a dessert I liked on the regular side. Deep fried fish, beef sliders, other deep fried food. I can find better food in the food courts of our local shopping centres. Never had problems before, but my July cruise on the Epic was a challenge.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I find it hilarious that you are not the first one to mention that daily changing menu in MDRs is boring and therefore they eat mostly in Blue Lagoon that has fixed menu - always. ;) :D

I find it hilarious that some folks love to slam other people just because they don't feel the same way they do. That's what I love about Free Style dining. I can eat what and when I want. If you find that funny, good for you.

To sweeten the deal, one evening per cruise the ship will host a "Chocoholic Night" featuring a choice of up to seven signature chocolate desserts in each restaurant, ranging from a warm chocolate volcano to chocolate Nutella pot de creme or white chocolate strawberry mousse.

O'Sheehan's Neighborhood Bar & Grill onboard Getaway, Breakaway, Epic and Jewel will be introducing exclusive specialty dish nights for another free, alternative dinner venue. Offerings will include prime rib, all-you-can-eat baby back ribs, and chicken and waffles.

I was on the Getaway on July 12th and they had already rolled this out even the chocoholic night. The food was amazing. The best I have had on any other cruise. My husband became addicted to the prime rib. Here's a pic

039_zps83fbfb1c.jpg

I find it hilarious that some folks love to slam other people just because they don't feel the same way they do. That's what I love about Free Style dining. I can eat what and when I want. If you find that funny, good for you.

Everybody is free to make their own choices as they see fit but the so-called reason for it is still hilarious.

I am a picky eater and also I can think of some negative things to say about MDRs on NCL ships (still not enough for me to not to eat in those) but saying that MDR menu is boring compared to Blue Lagoon menu is still over the top IMO. MDR menus might have too fancy dishes, dishes with ingredients that one might not like, dishes that just do not appeal to someone etc, but those everyday changing menus compared to a static comfort food menu - boring they are not.

So, I'm not saying that someone shouldn't eat where they like. If someone prefers diner style comfort food for dinners almost every night, so be it and I can totally understand it and by any means do not want to judge anybody. It's just the reasoning that genuinely makes me chuckle - as I said, this is not the first time I read that here.

Edited by Demonyte

I clicked the link and there's an article but no menu. Where can you see the new menu items?

Previously there were 14 changing menus, somebody said that there are 21 with the new setup. NCL doesn't publish MDR menus on their site and I haven't seen all the menus collected anywhere yet, one CC member had all the old menus on Google Drive but that doesn't help you with these new ones, sorry. :)

I clicked the link and there's an article but no menu. Where can you see the new menu items?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I posted some here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2047989

Beyondships have a couple of new menus from the Dawn:

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-dawn-menus.html

We don't know for sure that there won't be some small changes to these (I note the reference to regional menus in the release), but they are the ones currently being rolled out and they fit the description given.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

Anyone know if the new menus are on the Gem yet? I sail tomorrow and hope they started!

This is just my educated guess, but since one member was just telling here in at least two different lobster threads that they were disappointed not to get lobster in MDR on the first night, I'd assume the new menus are on Gem already.

Check out the latest Norwegian Cruise Line news from Cruise Critic:

Laura, thanks so much for the update. I hope this helps people who think NCL food isn't good or want a change. I look forward to our 2 cruises next year and enjoying new dishes. Change is good, we need to realize things can not always stay the same.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I hope that NCL will still have its "Always Available" Menu. Comfort food such as chicken, salmon, steak, was always there in case I didn't care for the other choices.

There is a selection that doesn't change, as shown in the menus linked above.