Trip report: NCL Sun SB from Whittier to Vancouver with 4 nts in Fairbanks!

plumie

Just to pay it forward since I obsessively read trip reports both for research and for fun. It's like arm chair traveling. I try to write blog posts for family members and friends to follow along (or in most cases, to read about after I get home since I don't want to spend all my time on vacation typing up reports) and also to look back on.

My posts tend to be long and a little too detailed - but I always put in plenty of pictures!

here's the link: http://kellylikestotravel.blogspot.ca/2014/09/north-to-alaska.html

Figuring out how to do all the pictures here is too much for my feeble brain (I just got off the Sun this morning and thus have cruise hangover) so I figured the blog posts will suffice for those who are researching for next year. Thanks for all of your help (though I lurk more than post) in the last year of planning our trip!

For context, this trip was with myself, my parents and my brother. My brother and I are in our 30's - yes, we vacation with our parents. Since neither of us have kids or are married, it's like being a kid again. Which is good and bad. Our family friends (in their 60's) joined us for the cruise portion, but we flew into Anchorage and drove up to Fairbanks with just the four of us. I hope this helps someone out the way trip reports on this board have helped me out in planning each and every cruise.

Thanks for posting your journey, I am really enjoying the read. Love your sense of humor.

Also, you brought back memories for me: South Coast Plaza and Nordstroms --- used to live in Irvine. And, the picture of the Alaska pipeline --- my husband worked on that project.

Thanks again and looking forward to the rest of your review.

Fantastic reading about your big adventure, and I really enjoyed your photos. I had a huge smile while reading all your daily activities.

FYI I've also decided that I love you and your sense of humor. I can tell you enjoy life and are a real ball of fire. Would you marry an old man and make me smile every day? :)

Thanks for help starting off a day with a big smile on my face.

Aw DougH, you're making me blush. My dad will also be greatly relieved that someone finds me marriageable. ☺

Uvasag, it costs $70/hr to hire a taxi in Juneau. From what I understand it's set by the city and nonnegotiable. It's a great way to see the city, though if we hadn't had our friends with us we would have probably just rented a car, but we wanted a guide with us since I'm not knowledgeable enough to point out the sights and rattle off its history. Also, I may crash the car if I tried, so a taxi guide was a better option.

Aw DougH, you're making me blush. My dad will also be greatly relieved that someone finds me marriageable. ☺

OK I just finished reading your Paris/Rome adventure and know that my initial impression was correct. Do I actually have to ask your father for permission or can I send him 3 goats, two chickens and a pig to buy you? I know I can win you over with some waffles, French pastry or gelato. Probably even just a bag of candy :)

DougH, you're cracking me up. Yes, alas, I am cheap and perhaps could be had for candy. But it can't be crap candy, at least Mentos or peanut butter cups. A woman has to have standards you know. And I'm glad you enjoyed our European adventure, it's one of my favorite trips.

I'll lurk around the Alaska board for a few weeks to answer any questions I can. I tried to save the dailies, but my dad threw out some of them before I could stash them. But I enjoyed the Sun. Yes, she's older and smaller, but I still had a good time. For the most part the staff was very good and the ship was kept very clean. After last year's cruise on the ginormous (to us) Navigator, it was nice being on a smaller ship where it wouldn't take 15 minutes to walk back to our room.

uvasag: I think the KSF promotion I took advantage of rolled out either in late June or early July. I know it ended 8/2 though. I remember reading something about the KSF promo rolling out in February or March as well, but I don't know if that applied to Alaskan cruises yet.

Because I'm crazy anal retentive, I check the prices for our cabins at least twice a week. I also subscribe to cruise fish to monitor the cabin prices. It was by chance that I priced out the penthouse (after my brother emailed me in June saying that yes, he can come on the cruise with us) and realized it had dropped lower than the aft mini that I realized there was a promo. So check prices not just for your cabin, but for the ones you're looking at possibly upgrading to. The cruise fish prices only give you prices for the first two, they don't tell you whether or not the 3rd-8th passengers sail free. Good luck!

uvasag: I think the KSF promotion I took advantage of rolled out either in late June or early July. I know it ended 8/2 though. I remember reading something about the KSF promo rolling out in February or March as well, but I don't know if that applied to Alaskan cruises yet.

Because I'm crazy anal retentive, I check the prices for our cabins at least twice a week. I also subscribe to cruise fish to monitor the cabin prices. It was by chance that I priced out the penthouse (after my brother emailed me in June saying that yes, he can come on the cruise with us) and realized it had dropped lower than the aft mini that I realized there was a promo. So check prices not just for your cabin, but for the ones you're looking at possibly upgrading to. The cruise fish prices only give you prices for the first two, they don't tell you whether or not the 3rd-8th passengers sail free. Good luck!

Thank you plumie. Yes I have subscribed to fish. I'll keep looking for penthouse prices. Was it June/July of 2014 ? So just a few weeks before you sailed ?

Edited by uvasag

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Thanks for posting your journey, I am really enjoying the read. Love your sense of humor.

Also, you brought back memories for me: South Coast Plaza and Nordstroms --- used to live in Irvine. And, the picture of the Alaska pipeline --- my husband worked on that project.

Thanks again and looking forward to the rest of your review.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful photos. I am green with envy over the bear with the fish series! Where were you blessed with that sighting???

• 5 weeks later...

Your review was the funniest one I have read! I want to cruise with you! :) Seriously - thanks for all the great info. We are doing the Southbound in July & you gave me lots of good ideas of non-cruiseline activities. Can't wait to start booking excursions!

Janikh: thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it and found some useful information. I always felt like I got the most out of reading the trip reports of others to see what their experiences with each outfit or excursion was like. Have fun planning! Being a crazy person, I always think that's half the fun.

Miss Dot: I don't remember seeing any bears with fish??? :confused: But it may be my senility kicking in.

It took me a long time to wrap up, but I'm happy if it helps anyone in their trip planning because I get so much from the trip reports of others.

It took me a long time to wrap up, but I'm happy if it helps anyone in their trip planning because I get so much from the trip reports of others.

Glad to see you still writing, I read your Las Vegas report and it again brought a big smile.

Remember my offer still stands if somebody hasn't snapped you up yet :)

Doug