I would love honest opinions on food served on Norwegian Sun also

gladimhere

Been on her three times. Will be again in three weeks. Always enjoyed the food just fine. Has a Great Outdoors for breakfast that we enjoy, has Sports Bar...or is it Modernos...for lunch pasta and such. Plenty of choice. If you don't like one, something else would have something you like.

Moderno's is a nice spot for breakfast. Less crowed than the buffet, quicker than the main dinning room. They will fry eggs to order, & make waffles. I believe it's listed as "contentinal' however there is a good variety of stuff.

Also omelets in Modernos, and a pretty nice breakfast buffet that isn't as crowded as the regular buffet.

We like Modernos for dinner, where we had great service and tasty food. I would recommend it if you like different cuts of meat.

But Cagney's was not good at all. They now serve the sides in little "pans" or "pots" (I'm sure there's a culinary name for them). The sides were served cold (even the baked potato was barely warm ... when we finally got butter, it wouldn't melt in the potato). I'm sure the pots are so the waiters can dish up the sides while they slap the ungraded steak -- about the quality of a bad night at Outback or Black Angus -- on the plate. At $30 a pop, Cagney's is definitely not worth the extra charge. I would avoid it.

The main dining room food was good, comparatively speaking. The buffet was OK, although it is smaller on the Sun than it is on the larger ships. We only caught the Great Outdoors buffet open a couple of times, but did visit the soft serve ice cream machine there a couple of times.

We have cruised on the Sun 3 times in just over a year & 1/2 and the food in the MDR were so good we felt that we did not have to go to any of the specialty restaurants (but we did anyway :rolleyes:), we did the behind the scenes tour where we met the head chef at the time Oswald from India, at dinner the next night he made us a special meal not on the menu great meal such a surprise to us from a very nice man. :)

We have cruised on the Sun 3 times in just over a year & 1/2 and the food in the MDR were so good we felt that we did not have to go to any of the specialty restaurants (but we did anyway :roll eyes:), we did the behind the scenes tour where we met the head chef at the time Oswald from India, at dinner the next night he made us a special meal not on the menu great meal such a surprise to us from a very nice man. :)

We have also cruised on the Sun 3 times in just over a year and a half, and found both MDRs were very good. We have eaten in Le Bistro, La Cucina, Great Outdoors, and the Sports Bar (Blue Lagoon type menu). All were very good. Moderno was very good for breakfast and Lunch, but Moderno for dinner was not out cup of tea.

DOLPHINS RULE

Edited by Landl cruiser

Did the Sun Pacific Coastal a few weeks ago with the UDP. Had a full sit down breakfast in the MDR every day. Excellent. Lunch poolside or in the Garden Cafe every day. Excellent. Dinner in Le Bistro, Cagney's, La Cucina, Teppanyaki and Moderno. All excellent. Only thing I didn't like is the Green Tea Cake at Teppanyaki. Bon apetit!

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

No and may never be. They don't even have a Blue Lagoon. Just the Sports Bar for late night snacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I ate in the sports bar many times outside of late night. Usually around 530 or 6 o'clock I could go in and have fish and chips or sandwich.

food recomendations would be appreciated Im getting so excited and have 5 months left to wait

Unfortunately, my husband and myself were disappointed in the food choices and quality. We Had breakfast and lunch in the Garden cafe (buffet) everyday and dinner either in the Seven Seas or Four Seasons MDR venues. Breakfast was really fine and there wasn't anything lacking in choice or taste there. Lunch was basically the same everyday, with little variation. Tuna, egg salad, roast beef, Cuban panini's, and the sides of potato salad, coleslaw, corn and bean mix were there daily among other things that rarely rotated. Breads are delicious! Desserts just fair. The Dining rooms for dinner offered great service but few and far between great meals. On our 15 day cruise, the menu repeated itself after the first week. We found the seafood dry and overdone, the chicken breast dishes (100 ways to use chicken breast), were boring and dried out. Hope that answers your question. No lobster night, steak on menu offering different cuts of beef. The last night of the cruise, chocolate desserts were offered with dinner, instead of the chocolate buffet. Again, nothing special. Coffee was good. But, you will not go hungry.

We sort of overdid it on the Jewel last winter and got quite tired of the food by about the fifth cruise. I was really hoping that the new menus were in place on the Sun.

I should state that maybe only one or two of my meals weren't tasty, though.

Edited by gooch47

No lobster night

The Sun doesn't have the lobster night on it?? (Just to make things clear, you do know that it's no longer served in the MDR and is located at the buffet on the ships now. Is this why you did not see it possibly?)

I ate in the sports bar many times outside of late night. Usually around 530 or 6 o'clock I could go in and have fish and chips or sandwich.

So the sports bar has everything that the Blue Lagoon or O'Sheehans would have? Is this "sports bar" a place that you can actually sit down at a table and eat? Or is it just a bar? I love my late night "snack" a few times a week from there. :o

The Sports bar has dome tables and booths and seats at the bar. And some chairs with smaller tables for snacking. It is not huge. It does have a lot of the items I ate at BL

on the Jewel.

And they pop corn too. Loved that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the sports bar has everything that the Blue Lagoon or O'Sheehans would have? Is this "sports bar" a place that you can actually sit down at a table and eat? Or is it just a bar? I love my late night "snack" a few times a week from there. :o

You can sit in the bar at the tables there or, because its back door opens to the Great Outdoor, you can eat on the aft deck tables and chairs.

I was on the Sun last December for 11 days, so I have not experienced the new menus, but we ate in the MDRs, the buffet, and the sports bar most of the time. I don't recall that the MDR menus started repeating after 7 days. The lunch menu in the MDR never changed, but there were a couple things on it that I really liked so I made a point to stop by when it was open for lunch. Some of the selections were excellent. Some were ok. All of it was edible and we never went hungry. And I didn't have to cook it or clean up afterwards!!!!

I am always curious about the criticisms saying the buffet never changes. True, the Sun buffet is a bit smaller because it's a smaller ship, but there is a tremendous variety of food. It is possible to eat something different every day and still not taste everything. There are also different selections in the Moderno section of the buffet during lunch time, including the pizza. The Great Outdoor section was open for breakfast as well as between lunch and dinner when the buffet was closed.

You can sit in the bar at the tables there or, because its back door opens to the Great Outdoor, you can eat on the aft deck tables and chairs.

I was on the Sun last December for 11 days, so I have not experienced the new menus, but we ate in the MDRs, the buffet, and the sports bar most of the time. I don't recall that the MDR menus started repeating after 7 days. The lunch menu in the MDR never changed, but there were a couple things on it that I really liked so I made a point to stop by when it was open for lunch. Some of the selections were excellent. Some were ok. All of it was edible and we never went hungry. And I didn't have to cook it or clean up afterwards!!!!

I am always curious about the criticisms saying the buffet never changes. True, the Sun buffet is a bit smaller because it's a smaller ship, but there is a tremendous variety of food. It is possible to eat something different every day and still not taste everything. There are also different selections in the Moderno section of the buffet during lunch time, including the pizza. The Great Outdoor section was open for breakfast as well as between lunch and dinner when the buffet was closed.

I agree. I think there's always a variety at the buffet and I have never had any complaints myself with it. There's always something to be found and I always see something that I didn't see the day before. I have also noticed in the evenings they seem to have "themed" dining at the buffet and you'll definitely find different items (Mexican, Asian and so on).

Is the Moderno buffet for lunch free of charge? Or is it considered specialty dinning during those times too?

I know that you can have breakfast at places like Blue Lagoon/O'sheehans on different ships, so since the Sun doesn't have either of these, does the bar serve the breakfast as well? We "usually" eat breakfast at the buffet, but once or twice we like to do the "sit down" thing usually at Blue Lagoon. I'm just wondering what my choices are on the Sun. :confused:

The Sports bar has dome tables and booths and seats at the bar. And some chairs with smaller tables for snacking. It is not huge. It does have a lot of the items I ate at BL

on the Jewel.

And they pop corn too. Loved that.

I just found this picture online (not mine) and was wondering if this is the correct place that everyone is talking about?

norwegian_sun-deck11-sports_bar-5538.jpg

If so, that's a pretty cute little area to grab a 24/7 snack. It does kinda remind me of the Blue Lagoon areas on the other ships. :)

Popcorn? Seriously? That will be wonderful. I have only been on 1 other ship (Pearl) that actually had popcorn on it (and I read shortly after that that they discontinued it). It was great to grab a bag and head to a show for the evening. I thought it was a terrific idea and all the ships should have it. :)

I just found this picture online (not mine) and was wondering if this is the correct place that everyone is talking about?

If so, that's a pretty cute little area to grab a 24/7 snack. It does kinda remind me of the Blue Lagoon areas on the other ships. :)

Popcorn? Seriously? That will be wonderful. I have only been on 1 other ship (Pearl) that actually had popcorn on it (and I read shortly after that that they discontinued it). It was great to grab a bag and head to a show for the evening. I thought it was a terrific idea and all the ships should have it. :)

Yep. That is it.

Well not 24/7 like blue lagoon. They don't serve food until nighttime. They continue all night. Not sure exactly what time they start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim