Walking to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

bubbylovescruising

Is it possible to walk to port? Our hotel looks to be a short walk from the Manhattan cruise terminal. We are staying at the Riu Plaza Hotel, which is at 305 W 46th St, New York, NY 10036, which looks like it is less than a mile from the cruise terminal.

We have minimal luggage, but I wasn't sure if walking to port is really as simple as it looks on google maps. I also wasn't sure if this was allowed from a security standpoint. Does anyone have any advice on this?

As njhorseman says, it's about a 15-minute walk. I routinely do it from the subway station at 8th Ave & 50th Street, just about the same distance as from your hotel.

If your ship is docked at Pier 88, cross 12th Avenue via the crosswalk at West 48th Street--this will bring you right to the main entrance of Pier 88:

https://goo.gl/maps/UUjhT7gzNxq

If your ship is docked at Pier 90, cross 12th Ave at 50th Street to reach the main entrance of Pier 90:

https://goo.gl/maps/C2Hu41Q2TkK2

As njhorseman says, it's about a 15-minute walk. I routinely do it from the subway station at 8th Ave & 50th Street, just about the same distance as from your hotel.

If your ship is docked at Pier 88, cross 12th Avenue via the crosswalk at West 48th Street--this will bring you right to the main entrance of Pier 88:

https://goo.gl/maps/UUjhT7gzNxq

If your ship is docked at Pier 90, cross 12th Ave at 50th Street to reach the main entrance of Pier 90:

https://goo.gl/maps/C2Hu41Q2TkK2

Thanks for this info! Now to figure out what pier our ship (Carnival Sunshine) will be docked out on the 10th.

Thanks for this info! Now to figure out what pier our ship (Carnival Sunshine) will be docked out on the 10th.

That's quite easy to figure out as you approach--from across the street, if not from a few blocks away, you'll see the ship towering above the West Side Highway! :D If it ain't at Pier 88 (which, as njhorseman notes, it probably won't be), just keep walking another two blocks north.

(The New Yorker's quick way to determine the location of any pier on Manhattan's West Side: Subtract 40 from the pier number to get the street number. E.g., Pier 90 -40 = 50th Street. Or add 40 to the street number to get the pier number. ;))

That's quite easy to figure out as you approach--from across the street, if not from a few blocks away, you'll see the ship towering above the West Side Highway! :D If it ain't at Pier 88 (which, as njhorseman notes, it probably won't be), just keep walking another two blocks north.

(The New Yorker's quick way to determine the location of any pier on Manhattan's West Side: Subtract 40 from the pier number to get the street number. E.g., Pier 90 -40 = 50th Street. Or add 40 to the street number to get the pier number. ;))

This is great! Thank you!!

OP said they have "minimal luggage" which I take to mean they can handle it.

Like I said the luggage might not have the correct wheels for the sidewalks and curbs. Wheeling along the concrete and across curbs is not the same as the smooth terminal.

Like I said the luggage might not have the correct wheels for the sidewalks and curbs. Wheeling along the concrete and across curbs is not the same as the smooth terminal.

Reason #1 why you don't buy cheap crappy luggage. Spend the money and get the good stuff. ;)