Tokyo Logistics

ano

So we've never been to Japan and don't speak Japanese, but taking a Princess cruise from there in October. We also want to stay a few extra days to take some tours.

We've heard the Narita Airport is best, then take the Narita Express to either Tokyo or Yokohama. I THINK the cruise leaves from the Yokohama port.

So the question I have, is it better to stay in a hotel in Tokyo or Yokohama or someplace else? We want convenience and not too excessive of a price.

Then its from the hotel to port. We could take the Narita Express from Tokyo to Yokohama then a taxi to the port? Is that reasonable assuming we stayed in Tokyo? I heard there is a subway, but taking luggage on a subway scares me a bit.

If we stay in Yokohama instead of Tokyo, will there be a good selection of tours? Are hotels any cheaper there?

Thanks.

Narita Airport may be a bit better, based on a greater selection of of international flights. But Haneda is much closer and better situated - just between Tokyo and Yokohama. If you have flights arriving / departing during the daytime hours, there is a very convenient and inexpensive monorail that takes you and your bags quickly into Tokyo.

Japanese Hotels - especially in Tokyo - are generally more expensive that those in your country. But their service and quality standards are generally better as well.

Just as in many other countries, there are inexpensive business hotels in Tokyo if you are on a budget. Many internet websites can identify them for you.

There are also many Ryokan (Japanese style Bed and Breakfast Inns) in Tokyo that are interesting and inexpensive. Many are specifically designed for foreigners. Once again, the internet is your friend if you want to find them.

As Yokohama has become a suburb of Tokyo, hotel prices are nearly the same - with a few more lower-priced business hotels.

There are many trains and a few subways that can get you between Tokyo and Yokohama very quickly (Shinkansen; 15 minutes) at a higher price, or a bit more slowly (Monato Mirai Express Subway Train; 25 minutes) for about 400 yen, or a local JR Train (about 40 minutes) at a very low price.

If you take any of these trains and avoid rush hours (7am to 10am, and 4pm to 7pm) there should not be much problem with taking suitcases. I do it all the time.

Even better, you can use the baggage forwarding service at either airport to have your suitcases delivered directly to your hotel (very inexpensive, very reliable) within 12 hours.

The internet is your friend for more information on this service.

In both Tokyo and Yokohama, there are more tours than you will possibly have time to take. The Hotel concierge is your best bet to get you signed up.

Even better, you can use the baggage forwarding service at either airport to have your suitcases delivered directly to your hotel (very inexpensive, very reliable) within 12 hours.

I have seen those and they look like the best way to go, but do you know if these are available between the hotel and cruise port? Do these services work like a taxi? In other-words, you drop luggage at the hotel, then hotel calls a third party service to pick up your luggage then drop it off?

At the airport or cruise port, where do you pick it up?

Yes, the luggage delivery service is available between Airport - Hotel - Cruise Port - Hotel - Airport. some of the service companies have their own delivery trucks; others use one of the many Japanese delivery companies, like Kuro Neko.

In the departure / arrival halls at Narita and Haneda airports, you will find drop off and pick-up desks for the delivery services.

Same at Osanbashi Cruise Terminal in Yokohama and Harumi Cruise Terminal in Tokyo Bay.

All major hotels offer the services through their Front Desks or Concierge Desks.

So we've never been to Japan and don't speak Japanese, but taking a Princess cruise from there in October. We also want to stay a few extra days to take some tours.

We've heard the Narita Airport is best, then take the Narita Express to either Tokyo or Yokohama. I THINK the cruise leaves from the Yokohama port.

So the question I have, is it better to stay in a hotel in Tokyo or Yokohama or someplace else? We want convenience and not too excessive of a price.

Then its from the hotel to port. We could take the Narita Express from Tokyo to Yokohama then a taxi to the port? Is that reasonable assuming we stayed in Tokyo? I heard there is a subway, but taking luggage on a subway scares me a bit.

If we stay in Yokohama instead of Tokyo, will there be a good selection of tours? Are hotels any cheaper there?

Thanks.

We did 8 days pre-cruise in Japan prior to our Celebrity Millennium cruise in October 2015. We love Japan and the Japanese people.

You can find your way from either airport, public transportation is fantastic in Japan.

We flew in to Narita on a Delta flight direct from Atlanta. That was great, no stopover, etc.

We found a great hotel at Tokyo Station, which is perfect, since you don't need a taxi (taxis are expensive in Tokyo) to get to the hotel from the airport.

Tokyo Station is centrally located not too far from the Imperial Palace and you have access to public transportation.

We stated at the Hotel Metropolitan Marinucci, just outside the north end of Tokyo Station. Cost was about $175 per night and included breakfast.

Don't miss spending a couple of days in Kyoto. Take the bullet train down from Tokyo.

Here is my review of our trip and cruise:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

We stated at the Hotel Metropolitan Marinucci, just outside the north end of Tokyo Station. Cost was about $175 per night and included breakfast.

That sounds perfect. Was navigating the subways to the port a challenge?

That sounds perfect. Was navigating the subways to the port a challenge?

We did meet one man that did the public transportation thing to Yokohama Port. He managed to get it done. He said it involved lolling his luggage to the subway, changing trains, then a final taxi from the Yokohama station to the port. He said that he saved $$$, but it was a bit of work for him.

We linked up with a group that hired a transport service for a reasonable fee that didn't involve dragging luggage to the subway, then handling it on the trains, etc. If you decide to do this, I would only do it on a Sunday when ridership is not heavy. If you do it during the week the subways will be too crowded for you with luggage. There are companies that will transport your luggage for you, but that did not appeal to us.

I think the transport company was Green Tomatoes

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k6529452-Green_Tomato_Airport_Transfer-Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

I will be arriving at Games a this spring for 4 days in Tokyo before as cruise. Thanks for the info on the luggage delivery service - that's something that I'll definitely look in to. Sounds like a great idea.

I currently have a reservation at the Metropolitan Marunouchi as well, but I'm looking at staying at the Hotel Ruyumikan instead if I can get a reasonable price

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be arriving at Games a this spring for 4 days in Tokyo before as cruise. Thanks for the info on the luggage delivery service - that's something that I'll definitely look in to. Sounds like a great idea.

I currently have a reservation at the Metropolitan Marunouchi as well, but I'm looking at staying at the Hotel Ruyumikan instead if I can get a reasonable price

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For this October the Metropolitan Marunouchi was coming in at $289/night. The Hotel Ruyumikan was much cheaper, around $175.

Maybe someone can explain how rooms work there. I said two people, but I saw all combinations of "single," "double," "smoking" and "no-smoking." Is the single/double the number of beds or number of people? Queen beds seem rare.

Edited by ano

For this October the Metropolitan Marunouchi was coming in at $289/night. The Hotel Ruyumikan was much cheaper, around $175.

Maybe someone can explain how rooms work there. I said two people, but I saw all combinations of "single," "double," "smoking" and "no-smoking." Is the single/double the number of beds or number of people? Queen beds seem rare.

From all my searching and researching, it seems that it's about the number and size of bed(s). A single room with have one single bed, and a double will have a larger bed, but a twin will have two single beds. It also seems that providing the size of the room is very common, so you can consider that in your choosing too (there are lots of tools on line to convert m2 to ft2).

The rates for the Metropolitan Marunouchi may drop closer to when you need the reservation. What we did is book the Hotel Ruyumikan and continued to watch the rates at the Metropolitian Marunouchi. When the rates dropped, we booked the Marunouchi and canceled the Ruyumikan, there was no cancellation charge. Note that we booked directly with the hotels rather than using one of the hotel websites. Either hotel is fine, since the Hotel Ruyumikan is about a block away from the Metropolitian Marunouchi. I would highly recommend getting the breakfast included with the room.

We were on the same cruise as 4774PAPA and arranged the mini bus from the hotel to the cruise terminal in Yokohama. You can book through Viator, but they use Green Tomato, so we booked directly with Green Tomato.

Haneda is closer to Tokyo, but some of the international flight (I think Delta for example) arrive late at night. There are extra charges to take a Taxi or private car service late at night and you have to let the hotel know that you will be a late check in.

We didn't take the Narita Express train to Tokyo Station, but I have heard this is easy to use, cost is a lot less than a Taxi and you don't have to worry about traffic congestion. The only problem is that you have to schlep your luggage.

I am continuing to check the Metropolitan Maronouchi and the Ryuemikan - at this point, the Hotel Ryuemikan is almost 50% more for an equivalent room, but I'm continuing to check their websites.

I usually don't get breakfast included because I like the opportunity to find small local breakfasts nearby as a new experience. Is the reason you recommend it mostly convenience, price, or some other reason? That's usually my standard when I travel - I try to eat in smaller local places rather than in my hotel, provided they're available nearby.

My flight gets in to Haneda at about 3:30 in the afternoon (non-stop from Toronto), and I'm planning on doing a luggage transfer and then taking myself sightseeing and out for dinner.

What is usually included for breakfast? I'm pretty open but my wife is very fussy. Do they pastry, eggs cereal? I looked at the McDonalds menu there and looked better than here. And there is actually a Denny's a few blocks away according to Google maps. :p

What is usually included for breakfast? I'm pretty open but my wife is very fussy. Do they pastry, eggs cereal? I looked at the McDonalds menu there and looked better than here. And there is actually a Denny's a few blocks away according to Google maps. :p

In our hotel the Metropolitan Marinucci, we had the choice of a Japanese breakfast or Western breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc.). I love Japanese food, as I loved Chinese food when we toured China, but after trying the Asian breakfasts, it just didn't cut it.

Sorry, I don't want soup and rice for breakfast.

The hotels will have the Western breakfast option, but I doubt if you will find much elsewhere.

Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi has western and Japanese items for breakfast. see pictures on trip advisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066443-d653033-Reviews-Hotel_Metropolitan_Tokyo_Marunouchi-Chiyoda_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html#photos;geo=1066443&detail=653033&ff=64860491&albumViewMode=hero&album

The train station has a number of options and restaurants. Look for the restaurants with people waiting to get it.

I am continuing to check the Metropolitan Maronouchi and the Ryuemikan - at this point, the Hotel Ryuemikan is almost 50% more for an equivalent room, but I'm continuing to check their websites.

I usually don't get breakfast included because I like the opportunity to find small local breakfasts nearby as a new experience. Is the reason you recommend it mostly convenience, price, or some other reason? That's usually my standard when I travel - I try to eat in smaller local places rather than in my hotel, provided they're available nearby.

I agree with you that finding small local restaurants is part of the travel experience. We typically include the hotel buffet breakfast when we travel with other people, it's a good way to get everyone together to start the day off and there is always something they serve that different people like. Also, since they are buffet , we normally just get a snack for lunch since we are full from breakfast.

There are a lot of places to eat in the train station at various price ranges. Most of them have an English menu or examples of the food on display and you can just point at what you want. Check out the basements of the Department Stores to sample and buy snacks.

Any Japanese coffee shop will have a morningu setto for $3 to $6. At the lower end it'll be coffee, a thick piece of toast, and a boiled egg; bigger deals will include salad and a meat (ham, bacon, sausage) and sometimes fried egg (sunny side up), which is tricky to eat with chopsticks. The serving sizes are small by US standards.

The Denny's deals are fairly typical. Here's the setto (they call it morningu saabesu, i.e., service) http://www.dennys.jp/menu/morning/ and here are the bigger options http://www.dennys.jp/menu/select-morning/. There will also be pastries, and places specializing in them, but I don't have experience of those.

Someone mentioned McDonalds. Here's their breakfast menu http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/menu/morning/.

Edited by someotherguy

What time of year are you going? In October the Metropolitan Maronouchi seems much more expensive.

Edited by ano

Thanks.

OP - given the choice of a few days pre or post cruise in either Tokyo or Yokohama you would be crazy - inho - to chose Yokohama over Tokyo. Tokyo is one of the great world cities, just head over to TripAdvisor and check the list of over 2 1/2 thousand things to do (including a day trip to Yokohama!) You seriously don't need to take tours to explore this city - a good guide book, off-line map (on your phone - uses assisted GPS triangulation and thus doesn't use any data) and Suica or Pasmo card (for public transport) are all you need. Public transport and surface streets are also signed in English.

You can fly into either NRT or HND (HND is closer) and easily get to anywhere in Tokyo by a second-to-none public transport system (and I say this as someone who used to live in Switzerland). There's a multitude of train services that will get you from Tokyo to Yokohama (route planning / timetable: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/) if you don't want to cart luggage on the subway stay near a main JR station or near the JR Yamanote line.

Use TripAdvisor - put together an itinerary of the things you want to see, pick a budget for a hotel and post to the TripAdvisor forum - there'll you find lots of helpful advice.

And finally... Enjoy!

Don't miss spending a couple of days in Kyoto. Take the bullet train down from Tokyo.

Here is my review of our trip and cruise:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

I'd agree that Kyoto / Osaka are well worth a trip - two days though? Scratching the surface. Plus OP only has a few days in Japan. Spent a week in Tokyo - only scratched that itch as well...

Any Japanese coffee shop will have a morningu setto for $3 to $6. At the lower end it'll be coffee, a thick piece of toast, and a boiled egg; bigger deals will include salad and a meat (ham, bacon, sausage) and sometimes fried egg (sunny side up), which is tricky to eat with chopsticks. The serving sizes are small by US standards.

The Denny's deals are fairly typical. Here's the setto (they call it morningu saabesu, i.e., service) http://www.dennys.jp/menu/morning/ and here are the bigger options http://www.dennys.jp/menu/select-morning/. There will also be pastries, and places specializing in them, but I don't have experience of those.

Someone mentioned McDonalds. Here's their breakfast menu http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/menu/morning/.

Pretty easy to get an approximation to a "western" (i.e. US) breakfast - but yes, in Japan they practice portion control. We stayed in Shinjuku and there was a Denny's two blocks from our hotel - Mrs SoCal is pretty unadventurous for breakfast - but there's according to her the bacon, sausage and eggs were pretty decent (http://www.dennys.jp/menu/select-morning/). I went native...

Edited by BritinSoCal

We went to Tokyo in October 2015. We started checking hotel rates in January / February 2015 and for some reason the Metropolitan Marunouchi did not set or establish competitive rates until later in the year. Therefore, as indicated on another post, we booked the Hotel Ruyumikan to ensure that we had a room and then checked every week to see if the Metropolitan Marunouchi set competitive rates. Once they did, we booked the Metropolitan Marunouchi.

We went on a Princess Cruise from Tokyo.

The pier is called Osanbashi at Yokohama.The nearest station is Nihon Odari. We caught the train from Shinjuku. We had to change trains at Yokohama, but that may not be necessary if you come from somewhere else. There is a trip planner that can tell you which train to catch when you know where you are staying.

The train was quite crowded even on a Sunday. I think a lot of people doing day trips and in general, just a lot of people! We had a group of six, all with luggage and it was fine.

I had looked into transfers, but they were quite expensive from Tokyo. The train is very cheap - around 550 yen per person ($5-6 USD).

We walked from the train station to the pier. It was a 10 minute walk, but easy enough. There is a ramp at the end, but there were a lot of helpers that came to greet us and assist us with luggage up the ramp.

There was a huge line up of taxis from quite a way back which made me think it wouldn't be worth taking a taxi from the station.

There was a convenience store not far from the cruise terminal where you could purchase duty free alcohol and other items. Princess allow one bottle of wine per person.

We arrived via Narita airport. It is quite a long way out. On the way home, we flew out the evening the cruise returned. We took a disembarkation tour through Princess which took us to Meiji Shrine, Asakusa Sensoji Temple and Nakamise-dori shopping street. Our luggage was on the bus and then we were dropped at the airport. We had to be flying out after around 5 pm, I think to be able to take the tour. It was a good tour with an excellent tour guide and although we were at the airport early, it made our last day very easy.

We had to avoid going to these two major tourist places prior to the cruise though!