Was attire stepped up on Christmas and New Years Dinners?

Vineyard View

I am curious - any of you who experienced traveling on Viking over the holidays.....did you notice if the overall dress/attire of people on Christmas and New Years was a bit stepped up from the other evenings/dinners?

I am familiar with the dress during dinners and evenings on Viking.....just curious if the holidays had an impact and change. Thanks much!

Edited by Vineyard View

On our cruise I noticed that many people made an effort to look nice at dinner. Not formal, but very smart and it was an excuse for the ladies to wear something sparkly.

We loved that lots of people brought their silly Xmas outfits, sweaters and hats, and got in the swing of it all. Lots of humour and much joy in the hearty singalong in the atrium on Xmas morning. Loved the guy in full Santa outfit with sack, and flashing lights on his boots! I have been on various cruise ships to spend Xmas, but this is the first one where so many people have made so much effort in the costume department!

I have to say that on the current Viking Sea cruise very few people are dressed up at all....except us and we are only in what I would call "smart casual". Some people seem to wear the same clothes all day touring and then into the evening. :(

Personally, I do think people should make a bit of an effort in the evening and change from trousers and sweaters that are very casual and that they have been wearing all day. Many crew members said we both looked nice yesterday and I think they appreciated that we had made an effort to dress up a bit for Manfredi's.

Personal choice I know, but if I'm going out to a nice restaurant at home then I change from my day clothes, have a shower, put on fresh make up and I do exactly the same on a ship. One of the reasons that I could never travel with just hand luggage!

Thank you all for your feedback. I am glad to hear that there were extra efforts for those two holidays, even though not by all I think I would like to step it up just a bit those two nights.

If we are going to a restaurant - at home or on the ship - I am going to freshen up and change clothes. Not formal or fancy, but fresh after a long day exploring. That works for me/us. If I don't have the energy for that I will go to the world cafe or order room service.....and some evenings that is just perfect too!

• 6 months later...
I have to say that on the current Viking Sea cruise very few people are dressed up at all....except us and we are only in what I would call "smart casual". Some people seem to wear the same clothes all day touring and then into the evening. :(

Personally, I do think people should make a bit of an effort in the evening and change from trousers and sweaters that are very casual and that they have been wearing all day. Many crew members said we both looked nice yesterday and I think they appreciated that we had made an effort to dress up a bit for Manfredi's.

Personal choice I know, but if I'm going out to a nice restaurant at home then I change from my day clothes, have a shower, put on fresh make up and I do exactly the same on a ship. One of the reasons that I could never travel with just hand luggage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all for your feedback. I am glad to hear that there were extra efforts for those two holidays, even though not by all I think I would like to step it up just a bit those two nights.

If we are going to a restaurant - at home or on the ship - I am going to freshen up and change clothes. Not formal or fancy, but fresh after a long day exploring. That works for me/us. If I don't have the energy for that I will go to the world cafe or order room service.....and some evenings that is just perfect too!

Well, I hit the wrong key and sent a blank message. Apologies.

What I wanted to say was that my husband and I will be on Sea over the holidays this year and although we'll be on the equator where it's hot I intend to dress up.

We also shower and put on nicer clothing before going to eat in one of the restaurants or the dining rooms. If we don't have time to freshen up we will eat at the World Cafe. On our last cruise on Sea I found that Europeans made more of an effort to look nice at dinner than did the North Americans.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Star last Christmas. I wore a bit fancier top and a head band in my hair that was wrapped in silver garland! Just wanted to feel festive, We also decorated our cabin door on the outside with a bit of garland and little flat glitter ornaments. We received a lot of good comments for getting in the spirit.