LA Times article claims re KDAM promenade arrangement

johnnyswitzerland

In this article (published today on the Los Angeles Times website), the author claims that the arrangement of the lifeboats on Koningsdam's promenade – rather than above – is due to maritime regulations adopted in 2015.

"Since 2015 maritime law requires lifeboats to be on the embarkation deck of all new ships, not suspended above it."

Comments? Can someone familiar with SOLAS and other regulatory bodies weigh in?

Many thanks for any insight.

I've seen this touted before, but I cannot find any citation of a SOLAS amendment that requires the boats to be at embarkation level.

Seabourne Encore, Viking Sea, P&O Britania, and Aidaprima, all finished in either 2015 or 2016 have their boats above the embarkation deck.

My feeling is that the cruise lines saw wasted space taken when the boats were hoisted above the promenade deck, and inboard of the side of the ship, and asked the davit manufacturers to utilize "slide out" or fixed davits, similar to what has been used for decades on offshore oil rigs to minimize the space taken by lifeboats and their stowage, so that the revenue generating interior space can be maximized.

Oops, I see some of my fan club had chimed in while I was doing some more research.

Edited by chengkp75