Sleeping Under the Midnight Sun

Shipwren

We'll be on the June 17 Midnight Sun Cruise Bergen to London. We've a good idea about what we're doing during the days, but I'm also looking forward to the views as we travel from port to port - much of which will be done at "night". Any suggestions on places we should stay up (or get up) for?

And any suggestions for making the most of the midnight sun without exhausting ourselves?

We are on that cruise now. I'm not sure how times will work out for you all since you are coming from the opposite direction but the sail in and out of Geiranger (pronounced guy-rang-her) is breathtaking. I was on deck in front of the Explorers lounge with a few hearty souls at 0530. It was well worth the early alarm. Ditto with the sail out as you leave. The sail in to Molde and Tromso was also very pretty but did not require a super early wake up call.

It has not really gotten dark anyplace we have been since boarding the ship. It took a little getting used to to have the sun so bright all the time. I'd wake up at 0300 and it was so bright around the curtains that I'd think we'd overslept!!

I did stay up one night and made a great pic off the balcony of the midnight sun. Just look for a clear day when your cabin is facing the right direction. It is beautiful.

Thanks! We'll definitely make a point of getting up for Geiranger.

What's your experience dressing for the weather? I love fresh air, but also like to stay warm. I'm planning on taking a couple of fleece tops and a rain jacket for outer layers. Debating bringing my down jacket, which could make sitting outside on the veranda cozy even if the weather's chilly.

Any other hints, highlights, or recommendations you have would be great - thought maybe I should start a new thread for that!

Thanks! We'll definitely make a point of getting up for Geiranger.

What's your experience dressing for the weather? I love fresh air, but also like to stay warm. I'm planning on taking a couple of fleece tops and a rain jacket for outer layers. Debating bringing my down jacket, which could make sitting outside on the veranda cozy even if the weather's chilly.

Any other hints, highlights, or recommendations you have would be great - thought maybe I should start a new thread for that!

Did this cruise last summer with Viking. I missed the obligatory "photos of the sun at midnight" but I did head out onto the balcony in the middle of the night to take pictures of the countryside as we sailed by, with cars driving down the road in the middle of the night as we sailed by.

Leave the down jacket home and just layer up with what is already in your suitcase. Your rain coat will make a wind-breaking layer and then add below it your fleece. I'm also a big fan of vests. A warm vest (fleece, padded, etc.) under or over the fleece or alone will give you another layer and keeping your torso warm will help you feel warmer--and a vest is easier to back than a jacket.

LLBean has wonderful packable, into their own pocket, down vest, jacket even a coat! they aslo hav ea gortex below the knee raincoat with a hood that packs into its own pocket too!!! All light and great for travel to cooler places!

I got my down jacket at Lands End and it also packs into its own pocket, plus it came in tall so my butt was covered! I was so glad I had the down jacket with me....lightweight and if it got warm enough I could just toss it in our daypack, it weighs nothing! Most people in our ports were wearing down.

Hi, Shipwren. We did a different version of Bergen to London last year (a few different ports, same time of year pretty much). The scenery, if I recall (and I was up at quite odd hours due to jet lag) was beautiful almost every night. Craggy mountains, pretty ranges, everything's quite green. And the ship's curtains worked quite well when we wanted to keep the light out!

Agree about Geiranger. Gorgeous sail-in.

We're on your same sailing, looking forward to it. Agree with the poster who recommended layers...but of course you never do know what you're going to get!

Carolyn

We'll be on the June 17 Midnight Sun Cruise Bergen to London. We've a good idea about what we're doing during the days, but I'm also looking forward to the views as we travel from port to port - much of which will be done at "night". Any suggestions on places we should stay up (or get up) for?

And any suggestions for making the most of the midnight sun without exhausting ourselves?

We have room in our checked bag so will throw in my down jacket - it means I know I'll be able to sit on the balcony even if it's chilly. May also come in handy for midnight sun photos and early morning fjord viewing.

Managed to get things into two carryone, two day packs and one checked bag, with room in the checked bag for any treasures we find along the way.

Counting the hours til we actually start the journey!

We're on your same sailing, looking forward to it. Agree with the poster who recommended layers...but of course you never do know what you're going to get!

Carolyn

Carolyn, are you on board for the Sky naming in Tromso? I do hope you are planning on a "live" thread again.

We live in the north of Scotland and have very similar weather to most of Norway, so I would certainly pack that down jacket! In fact this cruise would be the easiest for us to pack for! No white sneakers though! ;p Maybe also a hat and gloves for the wind chill but a hooded jacket would be fine. The advice for layers is the best! And a vest! This summer so far we have had very changeable weather and it seems to bounce from us across the North Sea to or from Norway - lots of rain! But that's what makes everything so green of course! It's been quite chilly and although the sun might be shining with blue skies (and it can be truly very pleasant and warm if you find a sheltered spot) when the wind comes from the north it goes right through you! We call it a "lazy wind" -as it doesn't go round you, but through you!

Last night it was beautiful with clear blue skies and we could have been out gardening still at 11pm - light again by 2.30 but it doesn't really get dark. Bring eye shades if you think you may not sleep if the light comes in around the curtains. We're used to it and love the long summer evenings - makes up for the long winter nights! Next week is the summer solstice so longest day - there is much lighting of beacons (bonfires) etc here in Scotland but I need my sleep too much to ever stay up to trek up the nearest hill! LOL! Don't know what they do in Norway to celebrate the summer solstice but they love lighting fires those Vikings! I think sitting out on your balcony or up on deck on a clear night, wrapped up warm with a glass of something, would be wonderful and romantic!

There is an open air music festival in Bergen this week (starts Wednesday and goes on over the weekend) - from what I can work out its held in an park not too far from where the ship docks, so you may get a "free" concert if you can hear it from the ship or maybe just walking around.

Oh and the midges - they are out in full force! If you get bitten easily (I do) you will need spray - I use Avon skin so soft original and it does the job perfectly. You can get all sorts of bug sprays. The wind keeps the midges at bay, but damp rainy weather they love! And just because you can't see the little blighters doesn't mean they are not going to get you! LOL!

Enjoy!

Thanks so much, Fairbourn! The down jacket's in the bag! Insect repellent is a good idea. I'm also taking an ExOfficio lightweight jacket and scarf that are treated to repell insects so we'll see if those work on the midges in your part of the world. We're taking several hikes where that could be an issue.

As I'm writing this a calendar reminder just popped up on my screen - "Iceland/Norway/Scotland Trip: Tomorrow". Hooray!

I packed WAY to much cold weather gear. We have had gorgeous weather and so far every time I put on my raincoat I wound up hot and sweaty. Haven't worn my fleece jacket but once (top of Mt Dalsnibba) and had my gloves on there for about 15 minutes. A tee shirt and light sweater have been it the rest of the time. I did wear a nylon windbreaker on the ferry from Flam to Gudvagen because we stayed on the open top deck the entire trip because it was too beautiful to miss. The light windbreaker has been all I needed on the balcony so far in the evening. (Well last night I would have drowned sitting out there between the rain and rough seas). I will keep my fingers crossed that all the other Midnight Sun Cruisers do as well!!

Hmmmm.... I've probably just insured that our trip has great warm weather by packing my down and fleece. :)

Ha ha yes! You know I did the same thing when we went to Alaska - packed lots of fleeces, thermal underwear :eek: and we had beautiful and warm sunny days during our cruise except for Ketchican (rainy!) and Hubbard Glacier when I really did need my fur hat! Today started sunny, then we had showers, sunny again with a chilly wind, a few downpours, - hello midges! - and now it's a bright sunny evening (9.30pm) and it looks like to be a beautiful sunset ahead! I did notice the weather in Scandanavia this past few days has been very nice indeed so here's hoping it will continue. But I'm sure you will have a wonderful time regardless! Safe trip and Bon voyage. :D

Hi, Peregrina651. I am onboard! Wasn't sure that folks would want a thread -- but happy to do one if those of us also on the same sailing will stop by and add their own voices. So question to all: Do we need a daily report-from-Norway-Scotland-London-Viking Sky-christening thread?

Please advise and if you're interested in specifics let me know.....

Carolyn

Carolyn, are you on board for the Sky naming in Tromso? I do hope you are planning on a "live" thread again.

Hi, Peregrina651. I am onboard! Wasn't sure that folks would want a thread -- but happy to do one if those of us also on the same sailing will stop by and add their own voices. So question to all: Do we need a daily report-from-Norway-Scotland-London-Viking Sky-christening thread?

Please advise and if you're interested in specifics let me know.....

Carolyn

Carolyn --

We are a bunch of voyeurs and for many of us it is the only way to experience the naming of one of Viking's ships. Personally, I like the live threads. I enjoy hearing what people have to say about the tours that they take while it is fresh in their minds and there are people who have detailed questions about this that and the other thing on board the ship that a live thread can help to answer.

If you are willing, I am sure that there are many folks who would like to hear about the naming ceremony and all the other activities that Viking puts on the the naming of one of their ships.

Then count me willing! You know I love to write the live threads :)

But I do encourage you all to weigh in with questions, and if you're onboard, I hope you'll post your own impressions.

Two days before departure :)

CSB

Carolyn --

We are a bunch of voyeurs and for many of us it is the only way to experience the naming of one of Viking's ships. Personally, I like the live threads. I enjoy hearing what people have to say about the tours that they take while it is fresh in their minds and there are people who have detailed questions about this that and the other thing on board the ship that a live thread can help to answer.

If you are willing, I am sure that there are many folks who would like to hear about the naming ceremony and all the other activities that Viking puts on the the naming of one of their ships.

Look forward to your live thread.

I loved the one you did for the Viking Star.

I would be interested in the" resident historian" and their talks.

Will they have listening to opera on the pool deck with headphones?

I'll be on the cruise and will try to post.

If anyone has details on the christening ceremony, it would be great to be able to plan trips or dinner reservations around that!

We're waiting for our flight to Reykjavik for the pre-cruise jaunt and looking forward to boarding on Saturday!

Oh, wow, thanks so much for the report Fairbourn. I, er, haven't started to pack yet and was just going to bring lots of layers but a down jacket...might be a good idea. Never thought of mosquito repellent -- ugh, but thanks (one welcome "gift" upon arriving at the Seychelles, for Crystal Esprit a few years ago, was a supply of mosquito repellent) -- will have to run out first thing tomorrow and find some!

We leave tomorrow at noon for the airport. I haven't done laundry yet :) --

Carolyn

Thanks so much, Fairbourn! The down jacket's in the bag! Insect repellent is a good idea. I'm also taking an ExOfficio lightweight jacket and scarf that are treated to repell insects so we'll see if those work on the midges in your part of the world. We're taking several hikes where that could be an issue.

As I'm writing this a calendar reminder just popped up on my screen - "Iceland/Norway/Scotland Trip: Tomorrow". Hooray!

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

I will report back, Azulann! Am creating the thread now -- will add it here, too.

Carolyn

Look forward to your live thread.

I loved the one you did for the Viking Star.

I would be interested in the" resident historian" and their talks.

Will they have listening to opera on the pool deck with headphones?

Hi, we've just posted our Live From... thread. It's here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2510820

Just a note that this is all about what you want to know and what questions you have -- whether you're thinking about a first-ever Norwegian fjords cruise (regardless of the cruise line) or considering your first-ever Viking Ocean cruise. It's also a great forum for our well-traveled members to share their own experiences, whether they're currently onboard with us or total experts (like Peregrina651).

Can't wait to share the trip with you....

Carolyn

Edited by editor@cruisecritic