WIFI on my ITouch

LILynn

I live in the NYC area and there is free WIFI everywhere here - at Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, lots of local coffee places, outside hotels, etc.... Since my Itouch has WIFI I can access my email when I am in the city and can pick up the signal.

Does anyone remember if they were able to pick up WIFI anywhere. I will have my Itouch with me and it would be great to be able to check it when I am in port.

Thanks all

Since you are not paying for an internet service you cannot get it from anywhere. You can only get it where it is made available free of charge and then you can sign in. Otherwise if you try it from places where it is not free or like next to someones house you would need their password.

Keith

Since you are not paying for an internet service you cannot get it from anywhere. You can only get it where it is made available free of charge and then you can sign in. Otherwise if you try it from places where it is not free or like next to someones house you would need their password.

Keith

I am not looking to tap into someone's house - just hoping that some public places have free wifi. I do it all the time at home.

I am going to Venice, Naples, Sicily, Rome, and the Livorno area in Italy as well as a few ports in Greece.

I am not looking to tap into someone's house - just hoping that some public places have free wifi. I do it all the time at home.

I am going to Venice, Naples, Sicily, Rome, and the Livorno area in Italy as well as a few ports in Greece.

And all I was trying to do was answer your question. And I thought if I could illistrate it with some examples that would help.

So, if you are at a place where wi fi access is free you can use it. But if you can't you won't be able to because it will require a password similar to if you literally walked by someones house who had their system password protected.

Bottom line you can only use it in places where there is free internet access. You will need to walk into some of the cafes, and other places to see if they have free access.

One other trick. Go to a public library and you can get on their computers for free. And if they have wifi you can do that for free as well in most locations.

Keith

Italy has laws now for security reasons and nobody is supposed to have a wide open wireless point. On our trip in May, 2/3 of our pre and post curies hotels had free wireless and one charged a nominal amount for wifi. One of the freebies did not have a login, but the wireless strength was limited to the area we were staying in which is probably how he got away with that. In addition many cafes and bars will have wireless available, you need to get the login from them. Greece has more open wifi spots.

I live in the NYC area and there is free WIFI everywhere here - at Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, lots of local coffee places, outside hotels, etc.... Since my Itouch has WIFI I can access my email when I am in the city and can pick up the signal.

Does anyone remember if they were able to pick up WIFI anywhere. I will have my Itouch with me and it would be great to be able to check it when I am in port.

Thanks all

I have an iphone and was able to pick up signals pretty regularly throughout Italy.

Archived