Silly question - How accommodating are the cruise ships?

Chloebags

We are off on our second cruise in Novemeber, and since we were away last year I have stopped drinking and using milk I use soya milk. Now I know that I can get soya milk at breakfast if I ask for it, but how would they be when I am in in the restaurant at night?

I know that it is probably a silly question but some times we all end up asking one at some point lol :D

On our Princess cruise lst summer a friend wanted (needed) a special milk. I never did understand what or why, but anyway, she talked to the head waiter then bought a number of pint bottles of what she wanted. The head waiter stored them in the frig in the galley. when she needed another she just asked and he brought it out. If he was that acccommodating, I am sure you could get soy milk at lunch and dinner.

It is helpful if you have any special dietary needs to contact the special needs dept before you sail so they are aware and have the necessary items on board. then once onboard speak to the head waiter, and remind any waiter at any meal.

If it's on board, I'm sure they will get it for you.

I've had things off the last night's menu. I have had things from 1 specialty dining room brought to another. On one cruise I wanted fresh mint but they didn't have any aboard. I got a note sent to the cabin advsing me when they bought some in a port & where I could get my mojito.

Heck on our last cruise the concierge at one of the restaurants helped my then BF now DH organize his proposal of marriage to me.

They are incredibly accomodating.

Some lines are better at accommodating than others. The OP didn't mention which line they'd be sailing on and that would be helpful info to know. If the OP is sailing on a ship with traditional dining and that's where they dine, I believe that is a much simpler way to help them get what they need. Freestyle dining or eating in a different venue every night could make this a monumental task for the F&B director.

No MINT? What the heck? I'd be bummed if I couldn't have my Mojitos. I'll be sure to check on that straightaway when I board the Grand next month.

It was several years ago before mojitos were everywhere. I'm sure they have mint now although I don't know if it will be fresh.

We are travelling on Carnival, and I have been told that people have managed to get it at breakfast time, but I was thinking about when my food is made up.

It is all down to the reason that I am trying to cut out as much dairy as posssible (not good in my diet, stomach is not happy with it).

Thank you for all the replies

We are travelling on Carnival, and I have been told that people have managed to get it at breakfast time, but I was thinking about when my food is made up.

It is all down to the reason that I am trying to cut out as much dairy as posssible (not good in my diet, stomach is not happy with it).

Thank you for all the replies

I agree with the poster who stated to get in touch with special needs on carnival. This way you dont take for granted they have the stuff needed onboard. and wont be disappointed if you cant get what you need.

You also need to speak to the marte de once onboard for your dietary restrictions- someone then should give you the next nights menu- you pick what you want and tell them how you want it prepared for you

I am glad to hear about the soya milk[ as that is what my husband must drink].

I have found it quite interesting ordering brekfast on certain ships we have been on. I love to order eggs benedict with smoked salmon instead of with the ham .Some lines have it on their menu - but most don't. When we were on a Celebrity ship I asked if it was possible to get this and they answered " no problem Mame, right away" but when I asked for it on a Carnival ship - the waiter just said 'no, that's not how they make it"! . When I said [very politely]"would you mind going to the kitchen and asking" , he stomped off!!! :mad::mad:He did come back with it - but I didn't like to ask the next morning. :o

Sometimes I don't think it's the "Line" that is not accomidating- but the waiter!

It is helpful if you have any special dietary needs to contact the special needs dept before you sail so they are aware and have the necessary items on board. then once onboard speak to the head waiter, and remind any waiter at any meal.

I would go with this recommendation, you will find the cruiselines very accommodating.:)

If you need it, it is great to know soy milk is available, especially at breakfast. However, there are so many choices, you can probably live without dairy for 7 days. I would not expect, nor trust the cruise ship to specially cook anything that is precooked on the dinner menu. I would just choose something different. So if you want an omelette with smoked salmon instead of ham, they are making them individually and they can give you smoked salmon. If there is an alfredo sauce on the pasta, I would not expect the cruise ship to make an alfredo sauce from soy milk. I would just choose something else. The reason I am saying this is because I remember reading a post from someone who has celiac. The ship was accomidating and made her chicken or whatever without the breading. But it turned out there was some flour in the sauce that ended up upsetting her digestive tract.

And yes, my husband went on a 15 day cruise with a glued in front tooth because the pin on his crown broke a few weeks before the cruise. He managed very nicely by making appropriate choices. He never complained about ordering fish again and again. Instead he tried some new and unusual fishes, some of which he liked better than others. He spoke to the head waiter about getting a bran muffin every night since he did not want to take a chance biteing into the rolls, and there were 2 waiting for us at the table every evening.

Archived