Weather...

SJChaput

Should I be concerned by the weather reports in the Caribbean?

It seems every time I check the weather there is calls for rain, should I expect crummy weather all next week for my cruise?

I want to enjoy at least one port of cal... Its raining everywhere.

Its my first cruise and my honeymoon...

I was bummed when I saw it said "Showers" for the days I was there...

It can change, not to worry. And showers only means it could rain for a minute in a half. It does not have to ruin your vacation. Your on your honeymoon, your on a cruise, have a wonderful time.

May you have starry nights, sunny days and calm seas.

It seems every time I check the weather there is calls for rain, should I expect crummy weather all next week for my cruise?

Congrats! I've been to Florida and carribbean only twice but both were in Aug and Sept. In my experience the showers, when they happen are down pours, but are generally brief and the sun comes back out. And more often in the evening after the days outdoor activities were done. The thunder and lightning can be very pretty and good reason to snuggle up and watch the show. The whole week won't be bad weather....have fun! We are right behind you on the Legend leaving on the 13th!

I'll not bore you all with a lecture on meteorology, but the Caribbean and the area around the equator is where weather fronts tend to move through the fastest. Everyday, especially this time of year, is going to have some sun and some clouds and maybe even some run. Also, this is pretty much the height of hurricane season. Take it all in stride. It's not something you can control.

Especially on islands with mountains, you'll get rain almost every day....but you'll have sun, too.

When all that moisture-laden air from the ocean hits a mountain, the air rises, cools, and the moisture is squeezed out--as rain...it's physics.

Don't worry about the weather...after all, you can't do anything about it!

Weather in FL is almost the same as the Caribbean and I have learned that just because there is a "chance" of showers, doesn't mean you'll get anything. I've seen it sunny and beautiful on one side oa 4 acre park and pouring on the other. Don't sweat it. Chance of a long, all-day soaking rain is slim. Any rain will probably be a passing shower.

As for "Erika"...this is what I posted in my roll call for our cruise (which starts on Sat):

I have been keeping a close eye on this "storm" since it rolled off the coast of Africa a week ago. Living in FL....we have great weather stations down here that make a big deal of it right from the very beginning. It appears that there is circulation to the storm...but the stations down here keep saying that the upper level wind shear is strong and is preventing it from turning into a tropical-like storm. Hurricane Hunters were heading out into it today to see if that has changed. If those winds weaken, it has the potential to become a tropical depression and then possibly a tropical storm. Otherwise, it will just remain a cluster of thunderstorms. (This is the option I am hoping for).

It also looks like it will get caught up in this front that is pushing over SouthEastern US and if it can't get it's act together, it might just get pulled out to sea...which is fine with me.

I've already told my hubby that I really don't care where we go...just as long as we get on the ship and we can get out. If our Eastern Caribbean Cruise turns into a Western Caribbean Cruise....I'll be a little disappointed...but will enjoy it anyway because I'll be on vacation!

Weather in FL is almost the same as the Caribbean and I have learned that just because there is a "chance" of showers, doesn't mean you'll get anything. I've seen it sunny and beautiful on one side oa 4 acre park and pouring on the other. Don't sweat it. Chance of a long, all-day soaking rain is slim. Any rain will probably be a passing shower.

As for "Erika"...this is what I posted in my roll call for our cruise (which starts on Sat):

I have been keeping a close eye on this "storm" since it rolled off the coast of Africa a week ago. Living in FL....we have great weather stations down here that make a big deal of it right from the very beginning. It appears that there is circulation to the storm...but the stations down here keep saying that the upper level wind shear is strong and is preventing it from turning into a tropical-like storm. Hurricane Hunters were heading out into it today to see if that has changed. If those winds weaken, it has the potential to become a tropical depression and then possibly a tropical storm. Otherwise, it will just remain a cluster of thunderstorms. (This is the option I am hoping for).

It also looks like it will get caught up in this front that is pushing over SouthEastern US and if it can't get it's act together, it might just get pulled out to sea...which is fine with me.

I've already told my hubby that I really don't care where we go...just as long as we get on the ship and we can get out. If our Eastern Caribbean Cruise turns into a Western Caribbean Cruise....I'll be a little disappointed...but will enjoy it anyway because I'll be on vacation!

Thank you Shelley for your indepth comments. In the coming days, I hope we hear more from you on this and where the storm is heading.

Please allow me to forecast the weather for the next five years in the Caribbean... mostly sunny, high in the mid to upper 80s with a 20% chance of showers.

Trust it... believe it... it's right.

The only change would be the occasional allowance for a hurricane.

Afternoon showers are part of life in the islands... ten... fifteen minutes and they're gone.

My friends in Jamaica call it 'liquid sunshine'...

:)

you could get concerned, but would that make your next week any fun?

I have had rain nearly every day that I've been at a port stop in the Caribbean (that's give or take 20 days) and every time it lasted less than 20 minutes, and we enjoyed tremendous weather the rest of the time.

Archived