Insurance question

klepton

Please forgive my noob question, I've only been on one cruise before and didn't purchase insurance for it.

I'm about to book a cruise, and am planning on buying $38pp insurance through the travel agent to insure the cost of the cruise. This is somewhat basic insurance, and doesn't cover the cost of airfare, hotel, or anything else. Also has lower coverage on medical and evacuation than I would prefer.

My question is, if I buy this can I still shop around for my own supplemental policy that meets my needs? Or should I really try to get a policy that meets our needs at the beginning with the travel agent? I primarily want this policy because it's so cheap, and will cover the price of the cruise if something happens, seeing as I'm booking an early-saver rate where nothing is refundable and no name changes are allowed.

Thanks for any advice!

-Nathan

I personally wouldn't buy one policy that didn't provide me satisfactory coverage and then shop around for a second policy. Just find the policy that is best for you and buy that one only. A lot of people recommend going to insuremytrip.com to help find the policy that fits best for you. Also, if you have health insurance already, call them to find out what you might already be covered for on your trip. Some plans cover out-of-the-country emergency care, so you may not need travel insurance coverage for this.

In my experience the insurance offered by cruise lines is inadequate for the price they charge. I can get much more insurance for much less, shopping on my own.

You say your policy only covers your cruise. What about travel to/from port? What about if you get to the port OK, but then become ill or injured while on your cruise? What about the time between now and when you actually go on your cruise..can you guarantee that you (and your traveling companions) won't get sick, that people in your immediate famioly won't get sick (or worse) and you need to stay home?

All those things should be taken into consideration when considering insurance. And like someone already said..I'd be buying a policy from the start that covered my needs, not try to patchwork something together as I went along.

I would NEVER buy it through a travel agency, for one thing they are not licensed to sell insurance. I ALWAYS go through a third party agency such as insuremytrip.com or call one of the insurers direct.

and certainly do NOT buy a policy that is not what you want then duplicate coverage and pay more for a second policy.

I would NEVER buy it through a travel agency, for one thing they are not licensed to sell insurance. I ALWAYS go through a third party agency such as insuremytrip.com or call one of the insurers direct.

and certainly do NOT buy a policy that is not what you want then duplicate coverage and pay more for a second policy.

Actually some TA's are licensed to sell insurance, and act as agents for one or more companies. And sometimes while they don't act as agents, they can offer information about a variety of companies, and help sort through the myriad of options. So if the OP isn't used to buying insurance, talking with his TA might be a good place to start.

I wouldn't necessarily buy what the agent recommended -- I'm sure they get a commission for every such sale -- but they can be a good source of information for a "noobie".

Agree, for me this would not be a worthwhile policy and I wouldn't buy it. If you purchase it, of course you can purchase an additional policy later, but you usually will not get any of your money back from the first policy.

I highly recommend you purchase your own insurance, and make sure you do it within 15 days of the date you pay the first deposit of your trip, as with most policies, that will insure any prexisiting medical conditions are covered.

We always use TravelGuard and have found them inexpensive and haven't had any problems filing claims. Do some research and call and ask whatever company you choose to explain the policy if you have any questions.

Remember, your TA is receiving a commission for selling you this policy.

I would only purchase one policy that I was happy with and not attempt to purchase seperate policies so I would be shopping around using www.insuremytrip.com to check out some possiblitites. May sure you ask lots of questions and fully understand what you are buying before you purchase any insurance because it's not fun to have surprises after the fact!;)

You mention one reason for purchasing this policy is because you are booking an early saver rate cruise with Carnival. Does this policy include cancel for any reason? Just be aware that you would only collect on that policy IF you were to cancel for one of the reasons covered under that policy unless it has the cancel for any reason clause. Often people that have booked under supersaver are finding they need to cancel before sailing but for reasons that would not be covered under any travel insurance policy except for a cancel for any reason policy which tends to be very expensive.

Keep asking your questions and we'll keep trying to give you good advise:)

....my agency sells policies that can be "upgraded" to cover additional nonrefundable trip items (eg airline tickets, prepaid hotels etc) as you add them to the trip. Some policies also can upgrade the level of medical coverage above the "basic" level...for an additional premium, of course.

In many cases you normally don't need a license to sell the cruise line's policy. But if the agency is offering a third-party plan from someone like Travel Guard, Travelex, etc someone in the office must meet that state's insurance licensing regulations. I believe there are only three or four states that do not require a TA to be licensed to sell travel insurance.

By the way, by not at least checking to see what the TA has to offer you might be passing up a great deal. Many larger agencies or agency consortia work directly with the insurers to get custom plans that can have better benefits and/or lower costs than what you'll find online -- even if you call the insurer directly.

By all means investigate what's available out there on the web but if you automatically exclude what the TA has you may not be getting your best deal.

Please forgive my noob question, I've only been on one cruise before and didn't purchase insurance for it.

I'm about to book a cruise, and am planning on buying $38pp insurance through the travel agent to insure the cost of the cruise. This is somewhat basic insurance, and doesn't cover the cost of airfare, hotel, or anything else. Also has lower coverage on medical and evacuation than I would prefer.

My question is, if I buy this can I still shop around for my own supplemental policy that meets my needs? Or should I really try to get a policy that meets our needs at the beginning with the travel agent? I primarily want this policy because it's so cheap, and will cover the price of the cruise if something happens, seeing as I'm booking an early-saver rate where nothing is refundable and no name changes are allowed.

Thanks for any advice!

-Nathan

Once you have bought one insurance -- while you are looking around -- you can not cancel it shoudl you find a better one -- they will keep your money!!

Look around now!!

Once you have bought one insurance -- while you are looking around -- you can not cancel it shoudl you find a better one -- they will keep your money!!

Look around now!!

Several insurance companies have policies that allow for a 10-day "look see" whereby you can cancel the policy within that free-look period if you decide not to keep the policy. The ones we use only keep the $8 policy processing fee.

Archived