Credit card use in Canada ?

You will pay extra fees because it is an international transaction. The way to avoid that is to use a Capital One Credit Card. Be sure to let your credit card and atm card companies know your travel plans including dates and countries being visited so they don't think this is fraud.

Keith

Our cruise is going to St John and Halifax next month and I plan to use my credit card for resturants and possibly a little shopping. Will I have a problem or extra fees, etc.? I'm using a Chase Bank Visa freedom card.

Credit cards are widely accepted in shops, restaurants and taxis.

You will of course pay exchange rates which always seen higher than the sell rate at your bank and some banks and credit card companies charge a foregin transaction fee on each transaction, I know from personal experience that Bank of America is very good at charging these fees ...but as suggest above, check with you credit card issuer.

TD Bank does not charge a fee for transactions using your ATM Debit/Credit Card. Be sure to let them know where and when you are travelling. I have never had a problem in the Maritimes and also always got the exchange rate in restaurants, hotels, etc.:)

You don't suppose that has anything to do with the fact that TD Bank is in fact Canadian ? (ie Toronto Dominion Bank).

And yes, that means TDAMERITRADE is a Canadian company. Pretty funny name if you ask me

The most popular card that does not have fees is Capital One.

I went to the TD Bank web site and it mentions that it can charge up to a 1% fee. Do they do this for fees other than on say Canada/USA transcations. (eg,. would they charge this fee in Europe?)

Keith

All I know is when I called TD Bank and told them where I was going (we are doing A TA which includes Scotland, Iceland and Canada( they advised no fees on their end). Depending on what bank you use in a foreign country, that bank can charge a transaction fee. I was told TD Bank does not.

Heck, if it is a lie from me, it was a lie to me:D

TDBank, as we know it in the States (I believe they are only on the East Coast), has no association with the former Toronto Dominion Bank.:p

And yes, most Bostonians know what TD stand for, after all the Boston Garden, home of the Bruins, is owned by them:)

January 2006 Acquires TD Waterhouse, creating TD AMERITRADE Holding Corporation.

Archived