Virgin Atlantic upper class

Breezes06

I guess it all depends on your perspective. If you've flown a lot of other carriers in First or Business then Virgin may be disappointing, then again if you've only ever flown economy then it could be fantastic.

My family have been primarily BA flyers since we started flying, and mostly business class too. A few years ago (but with the current crop of suites) my parents thought to try Virgin out in Upper Class for a few trips and found it extremely mixed. They said the ground experience at Heathrow was excellent and the lounge one of the best they've used anywhere. In flight the service on flights ranged from exceptional to downright shoddy, my father recalled he wasn't impressed at being called 'mate' on one particular flight. Food and beverages to be mediocre compared to BA, who aren't regarded as providing the best F&B at 30,000ft as it is. They quite liked the seat but found it hard with not a great range of reclining options.

They went back to flying BA after three return trips noting it was a far more consistent product. Since then I've heard Upper Class has gone even further downhill with cutbacks, take a look on http://www.v-flyer.com for some more detailed info. Then again if you've never flown VS, or don't fly business class regularly then you may just be grateful for the extra space.

If Virgin are offering great fares you can be assured that BA are too. They are direct competitors and there is rarely much difference in fares between them and if one launches a sale you can as good as guarantee the next day the other will too!

The business and upper class fares on Virgin Atlantic are appealing. I'd like to hear the experiences of those who have flown this carrier from the US to London. Is the experience as good as the website makes it look?

We have flown VA Premium Economy and it is far better than BA

Club Class, I would imagine that their Upper Class Product is excellent.

The Service on VA is very good and as an Upper Class PAX you have the benefit of Chauffeur Service from London Heathrow into the City.

We have flown VA Premium Economy and it is far better than BA Club Class, I would imagine that their Upper Class Product is excellent.

What? :confused:

BA Club World has a seat that converts into a 6ft flat bed, Virgin Premium Economy has a seat with 38" pitch that reclines a bit. No matter how much dope you've smoked, or alcohol consumed the two products cannot be compared against each other.

If you are comparing Virgin Premium Economy against BA's World Traveller Plus product then yes, Virgin's is considered far better. WT+ is a bit tired by all accounts but is due for a refresh soon.

Additionally you cannot judge a business class product based on the airline's own premium economy product.

The Service on VA is very good and as an Upper Class PAX you have the benefit of Chauffeur Service from London Heathrow into the City.

Not necessarily true. Only the highest fare classes, J and D (which are unlikely to apply here given the OP has said the fares are appealing), are eligible for the free chauffeur transfer.

The business and upper class fares on Virgin Atlantic are appealing.
You might want to be careful about exactly what you're looking at. On Virgin Atlantic, Upper Class is business class. Virgin does not have a first class product.
We have flown VA Premium Economy and it is far better than BA Club Class ...
We need to be a bit careful here.

VA is an Australian airline called V Australia, which (confusingly) also has a premium economy product.

VS is Virgin Atlantic, the airline under discussion here.

Like fbgd, I find it unbelievable that you could find VS Premium Economy to be better than BA's Club World and its flat bads. Unless, of course, you prefer sitting up all night?

Club Class, I would imagine that their Upper Class Product is excellent.

Not true, you only get a CDC on the 2 highest UC fares, you do not get one on the 2 lowest fares.

The seat is ok, but as a bed it is fantastic.

The crew as mentioned are some of the best, it kind of depends what you are looking for, they tend to be a little more "fun".

A very good comparison between VS and BA can be found HERE

Also dig around that site, it is a wealth of info for VS (and a lot of other airlines) and they are more than happy to answer any questions, if they don't please feel free to droop me an email and I will make sure they get answered.

• 6 years later...

Privileged to fly on Virgin Atlantic Upper class, London Heathrow to Washington DC Dulles and back recently. I enjoyed the experience. The clubhouse at LHR was excellent. The clubhouse at Washington DC was very good. The flight was good too, though I found the cabin a bit cramped, but still it was a flat bed.

Here are some videos. First up, Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at Heathrow.

Part 1 - Breakfast

[YOUTUBE]Qi905dfWBnM[/YOUTUBE]

Part 2 - Pool Table

[YOUTUBE]dhyCZ7Idfjo[/YOUTUBE]

Part 3 - Walkaround with GO PRO

[YOUTUBE]0MmJ9T_1dCQ[/YOUTUBE]

Next, the London Heathrow to Washington DC Flight.

Waiting at Gate to board the flight.

[YOUTUBE]uZE9cEwyAWs[/YOUTUBE]

LHR to Washington DC Dulles Part 1

[YOUTUBE]q6bwHIkAm70[/YOUTUBE]

LHR to Washington DC Dulles Part 2 - pushback and takeoff

[YOUTUBE]aysmYJILqMY[/YOUTUBE]

LHR to Washington DC Dulles Part 3 - lunch service

[YOUTUBE]0CtC-ZFwguY[/YOUTUBE]

Part 4 - Gluttony! Afternoon Tea and Gourmet Burger

[YOUTUBE]ayOnHSNjMfU[/YOUTUBE]

Part 5 - GO PRO footage of cabin

[YOUTUBE]TDqUfvXECds[/YOUTUBE]