Booking with NCL, then transferring to TA?

mom58

I've booked directly with NCL, but now I see a better rate through an on-line agency. Does anybody know if I can really transfer the booking with no issues to the new agency?

There's about a $600 difference, so it's a significant amount. BUT, I don't want to mess up the ressie I have.

I'm worried that it's "too good to be true" and wonder how someone determines a reputable on-line travel agency.

Can anybody help? If I transfer the booking, can I still do the pre-boarding stuff on NCL?

I'll bet someone on CC has the answers I need :)

i am in the process of getting this done now...i booked with NCL and then my TA had better deal and i would rather go with them..they do a GOOD job and everyone at the AGENCY goes out of their way to HELP...not finding that lately with my PCC so i am switchin...you can still register with NCL after you get everything taken care of...i just had to email NCL to Transfer my Cruise.....call NCL tell them you want to switch and they will tell you what to do...GOOD LUCK...that is quite the savings!!!

I've booked directly with NCL, but now I see a better rate through an on-line agency. Does anybody know if I can really transfer the booking with no issues to the new agency?

There's about a $600 difference, so it's a significant amount. BUT, I don't want to mess up the ressie I have.

I'm worried that it's "too good to be true" and wonder how someone determines a reputable on-line travel agency.

Can anybody help? If I transfer the booking, can I still do the pre-boarding stuff on NCL?

You may transfer but may not get the price. Not sure why I would bother changing now.

First of all, it's not unusual for a cruise line agent to be a bit more expensive.

Secondly, NCL put some cruises on sale that expired last week (The one I booked went down $400 so I jumped on it).

Hi -

We have friends who do this all the time. They get to keep the same cabin. Not sure how they do it, but know it can and is done.

Ronni G

I love the planning stages of the cruise as much as I love the cruise itself. When I find exactly what I want I book it with the cruise line then transfer to a TA & usually ask what their best offer is as well as OBC. I've also been known to post what Im looking for on a "compete cruise" site and watch the offers. Their are 3 agencies that I watch for that I feel are reputable. When I choose the line with the best offer they have to beat the cruiselines price or offer OBC. Its always been a win win sitation.

I love the planning stages of the cruise as much as I love the cruise itself. When I find exactly what I want I book it with the cruise line then transfer to a TA & usually ask what their best offer is as well as OBC. I've also been known to post what Im looking for on a "compete cruise" site and watch the offers. Their are 3 agencies that I watch for that I feel are reputable. When I choose the line with the best offer they have to beat the cruiselines price or offer OBC. Its always been a win win sitation.

So you let NCL do all the work, requiring them to have someone on their payroll, occupy space in their office building, using their computers and phones. Then you transfer to a TA who in turn gets a 15% or so commission paid to them by NCL. Do you not think this kind of practice (which is done by many people, not just you) increases the cost of your cruise; not to mention the cost of all of our cruises?

At some point, this business model will drag the cruiselines out of business, escpecially if one of them gets smart and eliminates commissions like the airlines did.

Peter

So you let NCL do all the work, requiring them to have someone on their payroll, occupy space in their office building, using their computers and phones. Then you transfer to a TA who in turn gets a 15% or so commission paid to them by NCL. Do you not think this kind of practice (which is done by many people, not just you) increases the cost of your cruise; not to mention the cost of all of our cruises?

At some point, this business model will drag the cruiselines out of business, escpecially if one of them gets smart and eliminates commissions like the airlines did.

Peter

The way I see it is you gave the Cruise Line the opportunity to make you the best deal, if the TA can give you a better deal AND make a proffit then the cruise line could have done better.

I know I would have rather booked direct, I actually got a quote from the TA then called NCL to see if they could just match the price, I wasn't even looking for them to beat the price.

I was told "As long as your sailing with us that is all that matters, the TA your looking at is reputable book with them"... so I did.

The way I see it is you gave the Cruise Line the opportunity to make you the best deal, if the TA can give you a better deal AND make a proffit then the cruise line could have done better.

I know I would have rather booked direct, I actually got a quote from the TA then called NCL to see if they could just match the price, I wasn't even looking for them to beat the price.

I was told "As long as your sailing with us that is all that matters, the TA your looking at is reputable book with them"... so I did.

By definition, the cruiseline will never be able to beat the TA price. The reason the TA's price is below NCL's is because they give part of their commission to you. It's a catch twenty-two for the cruiseline. The only issue here in these cases is whether or not this is a sustainable business practice and I continue to submit that it isn't. I also don't believe that the cruiseline thinks it is and encourages it as your post suggests. If all their sales force did was go thru all the work to book the cruise and then all of those bookings were transfered to TA's getting full commissions, they won't be in business long.

Peter

By definition, the cruiseline will never be able to beat the TA price. The reason the TA's price is below NCL's is because they give part of their commission to you. It's a catch twenty-two for the cruiseline. The only issue here in these cases is whether or not this is a sustainable business practice and I continue to submit that it isn't. I also don't believe that the cruiseline thinks it is and encourages it as your post suggests. If all their sales force did was go thru all the work to book the cruise and then all of those bookings were transfered to TA's getting full commissions, they won't be in business long.

Peter

It is a proven sustainable business practice. It has likely been going on for as long as there have been travel agencies booking cruises.

We did it years ago when I owned a travel agency.

Peter

Well, I recently retired after 32 years in the travel industry...and I can say that "this practice" has been in effect since day ONE.

Many agencies who generate a lot of revenue with a particular cruise line make "override" commissions that can far surpass the 10-15% norm. Many have always given back part of their commission to the client in order to offer a lower price than the cruise line - and other agencies.

It's a pretty standard practice and has been so for a long, long time.

Thanks, all, for the replies. I'm still trying to decide what to do. It will have to be a significant amount of money to go to the trouble of moving it.

I have to say that I don't feel too guilty about transferring, even after booking through NCL. They must be paying their PCC's a commission, so if a TA wants to give up part of theirs, I'll take it. In fact, the original PCC I used doesn't even work for NCL any more. I don't mean to sound rude, because certainly NCL is entitled to make a profit, but it's my pocketbook and I have to look out for my best interests.

Well' date=' I recently retired after 32 years in the travel industry...and I can say that "this practice" has been in effect since day ONE.

Many agencies who generate a lot of revenue with a particular cruise line make "override" commissions that can far surpass the 10-15% norm. Many have always given back part of their commission to the client in order to offer a lower price than the cruise line - and other agencies.

It's a pretty standard practice and has been so for a long, long time.[/quote']

You missed my point; I'm not denying that agencies are able to give part of their commission to the traveler to lower their price. What I'm talking about is the ever-increasing practice of booking direct and transfering right before final payment to get OBC. People like to maintain control of their reservation as long as they can because the cruiseline will talk to them. So they do all the upfront work and answer questions and process price decreases all for nothing. This is causing double cost for the cruiseline. They pay their people (who are not on commission by the way) and then turn around and pay the Travel Agency for the same booking. Yes, njhorseman, at some point this becomes unsustainable.

Peter

You missed my point; I'm not denying that agencies are able to give part of their commission to the traveler to lower their price. What I'm talking about is the ever-increasing practice of booking direct and transfering right before final payment to get OBC. People like to maintain control of their reservation as long as they can because the cruiseline will talk to them. So they do all the upfront work and answer questions and process price decreases all for nothing. This is causing double cost for the cruiseline. They pay their people (who are not on commission by the way) and then turn around and pay the Travel Agency for the same booking. Yes, njhorseman, at some point this becomes unsustainable.

Peter

Yes, I see where you've cited your experience in this industry to support your contention.

Don't let the first hand experience of people who have actually worked in the business confuse you.

If this business model was unsustainable for either the cruise lines or the travel agencies, it would have died a financially painful death years ago.

This is causing double cost for the cruiseline. They pay their people (who are not on commission by the way) and then turn around and pay the Travel Agency for the same booking. Yes, njhorseman, at some point this becomes unsustainable.

Peter

This argument doesn't hold water because the TA has to deal with someone working for the cruise line to manage the booking so the cruise line has to employ someone either way. That person will get the same pay whether they are dealing with you or your TA.

This argument doesn't hold water because the TA has to deal with someone working for the cruise line to manage the booking so the cruise line has to employ someone either way. That person will get the same pay whether they are dealing with you or your TA.

So which end of this is the most work - taking the original call, answering any questions, getting all of the necessary information from the caller, getting the down payment information, sending the confirmation, answering all of the calls from time of booking up until final payment.......or, getting the booking placed in your lap, taking final payment and giving OBC?

ALL THE WORK IS ON THE FRONT HALF! Do you think the back half is worth 15% of the total cruise price? It must come out to $300 an hour.

The thing that has changed "since the beginning of time" is the direct booking part and then transfering. Yes, since the beginning of time" TA's have given part of their commission to be the lowest price. It's the transfering part that doubles the cost. I wish all cruiselines would implement the Carnival model which doesn't allow transfering after 30 days or final payment, whichever happens first.

Peter

Peter

"You may transfer but may not get the price. Not sure why I would bother changing now.

First of all, it's not unusual for a cruise line agent to be a bit more expensive.

Secondly, NCL put some cruises on sale that expired last week (The one I booked went down $400 so I jumped on it)."

Well said Peter. I was trying to be kind when I posted the above. Some people are real tighta**** that want things both ways. They want the service and convenience with dealing with a line TA then they abandon the original TA for a few bucks.

I also get a kick out of some TA's that will meet or beat any price. That, to me, mean they are too lazy to price competitively and do not deserve one's business.

It may get like RCL that does not allow much, if any, discounting. My advice to those that think a few bucks mean taking advantage of reputable TA's: Keep it up then the whole TA thing will change for the worse for all of us.

OK, my blood pressure is down and I'm off my soapbox.....

"You may transfer but may not get the price. Not sure why I would bother changing now.

Secondly, NCL put some cruises on sale that expired last week (The one I booked went down $400 so I jumped on it)."

Well said Peter. I was trying to be kind when I posted the above. Some people are real tighta**** that want things both ways. They want the service and convenience with dealing with a line TA then they abandon the original TA for a few bucks.

I also get a kick out of some TA's that will meet or beat any price. That, to me, mean they are too lazy to price competitively and do not deserve one's business.

It may get like RCL that does not allow much, if any, discounting. My advice to those that think a few bucks mean taking advantage of reputable TA's: Keep it up then the whole TA thing will change for the worse for all of us.

OK, my blood pressure is down and I'm off my soapbox.....

RCI's prohibition against "discounting" is essentially meaningless. Travel agents work around that by offering such things as larger OBCs, free trip cancellation insurance and prepaid gratuities.

From personal experience you have to make sure the travel agency has ties with NCL. Early this year i saw a TA special online, went to book the cruise through a TA, I even verified the special with NCL that everything I wanted ( room category, sail dates, etc. were within promotion) Somehow the Travel agency has to be registered to be able to honor the promotional code. I asked once before., Ill try to post the thread. It posted it July 3rd entitled "has anybody ever heard of web events"

my TRANSFER went well and my TA is very reputable and no probs with NCL--this cruise was a last minute type and i didnt book with NCL knowing i would transfer it over to my TA just happened and when i can SAVE i do

just means money to pay for everything else

i like dealing with NCL directly and have in the past just for the last 2 my TA was the BETTER CHOICE---just stating my experience;)

We did this on our last cruise and saved a few hundred dollars.

Just to comment on the current argument, I would think that booking directly with the cruise lines, you SHOULD get the lowest price. After all, then there is no middleman. I may be naive, but why shouldn't the cruise line offer the rock bottom price. If you use a TA you are paying for their services also. Maybe they try and get you a better price, maybe they watch out for you, but it is still a private service and you would think, should cost more. But it just doesn't work that way. If the cruise lines prefer you not to go to a TA, then they should have the lowest prices around, and everyone would book with them direst.

Peter

I don't understand your arguement here. Doesn't the Cruise Line, NCL in this case sell the cruise to the TA? It is not like both the TA and NCL are buying the product and NCL can't get a better price.

The Cruise Line can in fact get the best price unless the TA wants to lose money on the transaction.

We did this on our last cruise and saved a few hundred dollars.

Just to comment on the current argument, I would think that booking directly with the cruise lines, you SHOULD get the lowest price. After all, then there is no middleman. I may be naive, but why shouldn't the cruise line offer the rock bottom price. If you use a TA you are paying for their services also. Maybe they try and get you a better price, maybe they watch out for you, but it is still a private service and you would think, should cost more. But it just doesn't work that way. If the cruise lines prefer you not to go to a TA, then they should have the lowest prices around, and everyone would book with them direst.

Giantfan I agree totally

I don't understand your arguement here. Doesn't the Cruise Line, NCL in this case sell the cruise to the TA? It is not like both the TA and NCL are buying the product and NCL can't get a better price.

The Cruise Line can in fact get the best price unless the TA wants to lose money on the transaction.

Giantfan I agree totally

Yes, the cruiseline sells the booking thru the TA to the traveller; BUT, then turns around and pays the TA and their agency a 15% commission for doing so. Now the TA turns around and takes $150 of than and gives in to the traveller as OBC which he used in the first place to entice the traveller to transfer the booking. Doesn't make a lot of sense especially if you're the cruise line. If they simply disallow transfers and keep the booking, they would save 15%.

Peter

Yes, the cruiseline sells the booking thru the TA to the traveller; BUT, then turns around and pays the TA and their agency a 15% commission for doing so. Now the TA turns around and takes $150 of than and gives in to the traveller as OBC which he used in the first place to entice the traveller to transfer the booking. Doesn't make a lot of sense especially if you're the cruise line. If they simply disallow transfers and keep the booking, they would save 15%.

Peter

or the Cruise Line could give the customer the 15% commission in the form of an OBC then the TA couldn't undercut them and the Cruise Line would recover most of the proffit of the "commission/obc" thru the sale of high priced drinks and other things that the OBC would be spent on.

As I've posted every time this comes up...If NCL underprices the TA, there would be no incentive for the TA to sell NCL cruises. In fact it would be to their advantage to push other lines where they can make more money. NCL, like all the other lines, count on TAs to fill their ships. Once the ship is full the bars,Casino, bingo etc. take care of adding to the bottom line.

As always, just my opinion.

Archived