Just back Zuiderdam 12/23-12/30

naxos

In summary, we had a great cruise- and am perplexed by all the negative comments on this board. I will attempt to address all aspects of the cruise with comments.

We were victims of Dec 22 airline chaos involving Delta on 12/22 and we arrived in FT Lauderdale without our checked baggage at 3 AM. Our baggage was not in our possession when we went to the pier. One call to Holland with our information was very helpful- we were promised that a Holland employee would be at the airport tracking our bags and getting them on board. There were thousands of stranded bags that day.

Embarkation- we arrived at the pier at 11;30 and were on board at 12. We were informed that our bags had been found and would be delivered later- by the way we did not use Hollands air. We were met on board by a white gloved attendant who led us to a place where we could check our hand baggage. We then went to the Lido for lunch. The lunch was terrific- many options including prime ribs of beef- we were already impressed.!

Soda cards were available, ice cream with liquers were available as well.

We sailed 3 hours late since 20+ passengers were stranded due to the bad weather.

Cabin service was unobtrusive and excellent- Our cabins were cleaned promptly and we were never disturbed- fruit was replenished daily.

We did not use room service.

Dining room service was excellent- could not have been better. Our waiters and wine steward were attentive, available and friendly- our preferences were remembered, our requests were always met and we could not have recieved better service anywhwere. we sat at table 116 second seating lower dining room.

Food was okay- not fine world class cuisine- but we were not expecting that. Soups were not so good and vegetables were always cooked in butter and seemed like a garnish rather than a side dish. but when we asked for more our wait staff brought more. Some dishes were terrific- And surprisingly the desserts were better than any cruise desserts we had before. Flambe desserts each night in the explorers lounge were delicious and the lounge was usually empty- i dont know why.

Entertainment was a weak spot- basically poor EXCEPT for the Indonesian show which was wonderful.

The ship is beautiful and despite the 2000+ passengers aboard we never saw a crowd- in fact there were several hours each day when I was alone or with few passengers and it felt like I was on a private yacht. The Crows nest is beautiful- a great place for a pre dinner drink- never crowded. The deck ouside the crows nest in virtuall empty until 10 am. I never spent time around the pool area too noisy and crowded for my taste-

Tendering at Half Moon Cay was a low point fro the staff- their procedures were chaotic and confusing and many passengers were angry and the staff who administered the priority were snippy.

Lido staff were helpful and friendly- offerering to carry trays and get drinks- Hunky Dory was in full swing and remebered my name and each family member from day one forward. Bar staff was profrssional and pleasant.

The staff was pleasant and professional on the entire ship- EXCEPT the tendering matrons and the the front desk staff who while friendly did not like to be questioned about procedures.

We were on the ship during the tsunami and found that the staff continued thier excellent service whilre many of them were worried about their families- the staff were able to contact their families by phone and the passengers were exhobiting their concern for the ship staff. We had one day of very rough seas and some rain.

We did oour own thing on St Thomas and St Martin- we rented cars and had perect weather at each port.

We wouod sail on the Zuiderdam again and cannot imagine better service anywhere.

Welcome home and thanks for the great review. Your review just about mirrored Stevedan's as well.

I am glad you didn't experience some of the negatives we have all read about the Zuiderdam on these boards lately, perhaps HAL got their act together.

I am excited about sailing the Zuiderdam in March after reading such positive reviews. Thanks again.

One question, did they serve escargot on the Zuiderdam???

Yes, they served escargot and caviar as well.

Naxos- Next time you can have my share of the escargot, being in horticulture, that is one delicacy that has eluded me!!! You can trade me for the wonderful oysters Rockefeller we had on the Rotterdam in early December!:cool:

Glad to hear that despite the travel problems, you had a lovely cruise!:cool:

Naxos: Thanks for posting your review. I too am sailing on the Zui in April and almost cancelled after reading some of the scathing reviews. I know DH and I will have a great time - long dining never bothers me, so called "garish" colors (while not my personal choice) will not spoil my enjoyment of the ship and while I enjoy speaking with everyone I meet, if my cabin steward or waiter has no time for chit-chat, it certainly will not interfere with my experiences.

Anyone on the 4/16/05 sailing that does NOT want their escargots, I'm willing to trade you!

Glad that you had a great time!

Our wait staff had time to chat and made the effort to do magic tricks- even though our "kids" were 17 and 21. Our dinners were appropriately long- we dined and did not do a fast food grab and go. And while some of the colors chosen for the ship decor were quite bright- there were spaces that were very beautiful- the blue and yellow leather section of the Crow's nest on the port side, the Explorers lounge had very comfy chairs and was very pleasant during the day and at night. The piano bar was really fun. I am certain you will enjoy your cruise!

we had Main seating lower dining room table 116- it was the 8:30 seating. We had requested late seating, but hjad hoped for 8 PM and on the first day we requested a change, but after our first dinner we withdrew our request because the service was sooo very good and our table placement was terrific

For Christmas dinner one of the dining choices was traditional turkey dinner and yule log for dessert. The entire ship was decorated for Christmas for the week- each stateroom had a wreath on the door- each table in the dining room had a small Christmas tree- there were many many Christmas trees throughout the ship and on Christmas Eve at abput 5 pm they were all lit simultaneously. There were caros sung on Christmas eve in one of the theaters- by the crew sparkling cider was served in champagne glasses,On Christmans morning eggnog was passed to all and Santa arrived and there was a parade of carolers throughout the ship. Trust me- Christmas was celebrated- and there were Christmas Mass celebrated on Christmas eve as well.

Hi!

I have a few questions:

Were than any hot tubs, especially in the aft pool area?

Was there a water slide on the cruise?

Did you try the hydro pool in the spa?

Do you know if there are robes in the veranah rooms?

Did they offer complimentary espresso or cappunccio after dinner?

How about HMC, did you do anything? Is there a "water park' at HMC

Thank you & Happy New Year

Colleen

Hi!

I have a few questions:

Were than any hot tubs, especially in the aft pool area?

Was there a water slide on the cruise?

Did you try the hydro pool in the spa?

Did they offer complimentary espresso or cappunccio after dinner?

How about HMC, did you do anything? Is there a "water park' at HMC

Thank you & Happy New Year

Colleen

Hi, I can answer some of these...

There were hot tubs -- at least 4, I think. Two of them were aft.

No water slide.

I tried the hydro pool, but preferred the Thermal Suite with the heated tile lounge chairs where I could read my book.

We had robes in our verandah rooms...loved those!

Thank you for the encouraging report. I have been puzzled by some of the HAL ship reports as of late as my serious cruising friends have had such wonderful reports through-out from various HAL ships. Glad to hear that things can still go well.

We had robes in our obstructed view cabins! And expresso and capuccino were available for the asking at breakfast and dinner- nevre asked at lunch but I am sure you could have it at lunch as well. At HMC we wa;lked to the far end of the beach and enjoyed the quiet and lovely beach- we wanted to do no more than that- we did rent a floating mat and had brought other floats and had fun basking in the sun. Happy new year!

I had forgotten to mention one gripe I had about the closing of the Crows Nest for a private function! It was closed one noon time for a brunch for the suite passengers- and then one evening before dinner for another private function- We enjoyed going to the Crows Nest before dinner for drinks and appetizers and when we arrived on evenig it was closed. Since IMO is is the best public room on the ship, I really object to its closing at such a prime time.

Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. What did they do special for Christmas for dinner, kids, etc.?
Here is the Christmas Day Dinner Menu from aboard the Zaandam. Christmas cookies were also a nice touch. Probably the only thing we missed from home :)

I will be posting a full review of our Christmas cruise hopefully within the next couple of days.

For now I also have

Captain's Gala Dinner Menu

Captain's Farewell Dinner Menu caviar & escargot this night

Hi!

Colleen

Robes are part of SOE . We had them in INSIDE rooms.

No waterslide.

4 hot tubs. 2 next to Aft pool, 2 next to the midship pool.

Archived