Best month to cruise the Med

Oceangoer2

To all you experienced Med cruisers.....we value your opinion.

Perhaps this has been asked, but can't find an answer. Knowing this question is subjective, we would like to know when is the best time to cruise the Med. Considering the Summit itinerary -- which is being replaced by Century....Barcelona to Italy and points in between.

Weather is important (not too cold -- hot is very okay). Our 50th Anniversary is Nov. 2011 and this would be a special cruise for us. As Nov. is not a good 'weather' month, we'll cruise any time in summer 2011. We golf (can't miss the Club stuff) events in July/Aug/early Sept, so considering June or late Sept.

So is June and late Sept. a good choice or should we forego some of our activities to capitalize on good weather?

We did our Med cruise in November as a back to back with the transatlantic - the weather was chilly in Venice and Florence, but the rest of the cruise had moderate weather. It really was a perfect time to go - not many crowds. It really was the perfect cruise - a 14 night Med cruise which was very port intensive and then a 14 night transatlantic with all those wonderful sea days to rest up from the hectic pace of full day excursions. The 28 day back to back was our celebration cruise - both hubby and I retired that year.

I understand summer can be very hot and uncomfortable. And the crowds can be huge.

We have done Med cruises in October and in August (just returned from that one). October was mild and very enjoyable at all the stops. August in several of our recent ports was hot to the point of being uncomfortable, specially if you get caught waiting in a line in the sun.

And we are from Texas where the summer temps get into the 100's most every day.

So here is one vote for September or October over July or August.

Another thing to consider is the passenger demographics. More kids / teenagers in the summer.

Our kids are now on their own, and we prefer cruises with a very low count of passengers under 25.

We are just getting grouchy as we age. While their parents know they are cute and adorable, we just find them annoying for the most part.

LongTimeTvlr, LOL. We also live in Plano and after 20+ years I still can't get used to this heat. As far as the grouchiness, do what I do.... Blame it on the weather!

Carole, We've found the Med in early May to be perfect. Upper 70's to low 80's. Less crowded too.

We did a Med cruise in mid May and weather was great - 70s. Do you really want to sail on the Century?

No choice for the itinerary. Seems the Summit is repositioned to the Caribbean. Looked into other newer ships (Equinox) etc, but most are coming out of Southhampton. Want to start and end in the Med. I hear Century is refurbished. Do you have any suggestions?

Great replies...I love this board, and find posters so helpful. We've put the word in with our Celebrity TA to put us on a 2011 waitlist for June, Sept. or Oct. Will certainly avoid the July/August heat and crowds.

We were in the Med 2 years ago in September; the cruise started Sept. 10 and finished the 23rd. The weather was picture perfect. We enjoyed that itinerary so much that we are booked on the Century for September 19th next year, and hope to have the same kind of weather. We have heard some really good things about the Century from friends who have been on her recently. Enjoy your special trip, whichever date you choose!

We were in the Med 2 years ago in September; the cruise started Sept. 10 and finished the 23rd. The weather was picture perfect. We enjoyed that itinerary so much that we are booked on the Century for September 19th next year, and hope to have the same kind of weather. We have heard some really good things about the Century from friends who have been on her recently. Enjoy your special trip, whichever date you choose!

Thanks for your note. I thought mid Sept would be nice, warm and quiet, avoiding the August vacationers. Wish I didn't have to wait until 2011; should have been married at 17 instead of 18!!

Thanks for your note. I thought mid Sept would be nice, warm and quiet, avoiding the August vacationers. Wish I didn't have to wait until 2011; should have been married at 17 instead of 18!!

Well you could always go a year early just to try it out:D:D:D.

...we did the med last year, from Rome to Venice on Oceania's Regatta. Our cruise departed Rome April 13th and we sailed into Venice on the 25th of the same month. Our weather was fine, we had the odd day where there were showers, but all of the ports were beautiful with spring foliage all in bloom, and because it was early in the season we weren't over run by huge crowds.

I'd easily repeat that time of year, see what they have to offer in the spring...

cheers,

the Imagineer

No choice for the itinerary. Seems the Summit is repositioned to the Caribbean. Looked into other newer ships (Equinox) etc, but most are coming out of Southhampton. Want to start and end in the Med. I hear Century is refurbished. Do you have any suggestions?

Most cabins on Century are very small for a long cruise. Standard cabins, including Concierge class, are only 175 ft2.

Most cabins on Century are very small for a long cruise. Standard cabins, including Concierge class, are only 175 ft2.

hmmmm! Small things sometimes do not come in the best package. Any other Celebrity ships (we seem to be committed) in the Med you would recommend with similar itineraries as the Century?

We did our Med cruise in November as a back to back with the transatlantic - the weather was chilly in Venice and Florence, but the rest of the cruise had moderate weather. It really was a perfect time to go - not many crowds. It really was the perfect cruise - a 14 night Med cruise which was very port intensive and then a 14 night transatlantic with all those wonderful sea days to rest up from the hectic pace of full day excursions. The 28 day back to back was our celebration cruise - both hubby and I retired that year.

I understand summer can be very hot and uncomfortable. And the crowds can be huge.

Guess by this post, I had better bring a coat along right? I know there is alot on my cruise who have travelled in Oct and they say it is like fall weather, thanks for telling about November

hmmmm! Small things sometimes do not come in the best package. Any other Celebrity ships (we seem to be committed) in the Med you would recommend with similar itineraries as the Century?

Why not try Princess? They have large (Ruby), medium (Grand), and small (Ocean) ships in the Med, with varied itineraries. We did the the Grand Barcelona - thru Greece and Turkey - back to Venice a couple of years back. Fantastic.

We like X M-class ships, not sure I'd want to do Century

Guess by this post, I had better bring a coat along right? I know there is alot on my cruise who have travelled in Oct and they say it is like fall weather, thanks for telling about November

It was quite cold in Venice - especially at night (Venice is in northern Italy and is south of the Alps). When we boarded the ship it was raining - and I could swear I felt ice crystals hit my face. We were supposed to do an evening gondola excursion (the ship overnighted in Venice before sailing) but it was canceled due to weather. We had booked the ship's evening gondola excursion since I read in the guide books that the gondolas only operate in the daytime during Nov, Dec, etc. The next day it was quite comfortable - much warmer - but still jacket weather.

At night I did wear a sweater under my spring jacket - the Venetians wore winter coats and scarfs. Once we left Venice, it got a lot warmer.

We're booked on MSC end March. I cruised the Med end June during a record hot summer ('03). As a Floridian, it wasn't bad. Barcelona was very hot as was seemingly always hot Naples-Pompei; Turkey was more temperate. I suppose it varies week to week as weather will.

I've been in the Med in March and it can be pleasant. Shirt sleave warm in sunny weather and cool otherwise. In college, I travelled 'deck passage' overnight from Brindisi to Corfu then Patras in march. That was chilly (we drank a lot :D college...) I imagine autumn is nice if its dry.

We're booked on MSC end March. I cruised the Med end June during a record hot summer ('03). As a Floridian, it wasn't bad. Barcelona was very hot as was seemingly always hot Naples-Pompei; Turkey was more temperate. I suppose it varies week to week as weather will.

I've been in the Med in March and it can be pleasant. Shirt sleave warm in sunny weather and cool otherwise. In college, I travelled 'deck passage' overnight from Brindisi to Corfu then Patras in march. That was chilly (we drank a lot :D college...) I imagine autumn is nice if its dry.

My two cents.. If not taking kids then either before mid june or after first week in Sept.. crowds are less and usually no kids on ship either

Archived