Photos of HAL Staterooms/Cabins

IRL_Joanie

Just an FYI to everyone.

I am in the process of changing the HAL Stateroom/Cabins Pages to make them a bit less graphic intensive and easier to locate the various areas of the ships.

I have divided each of the Ship Pages into 2 pages instead of one huge graphic intensive page.

Page 1 is the Staterooms themselves. Page 2 is the Public Areas of the ship.

As of this moment I have completed the Amsterdam. I will continue over the next few days to update and upload the rest of the fleet.

Another of the changes to the Public Areas Pages is the inclusion of Cruise Critic Member photos of all the public areas, Bars, Dining venues, etc., this includes your photos and HAL's Stock Photos. All CC member photos are being limited to 2009 through the present so that they will show the current Public Area views of the ship.

I hope that this will make things easier for everyone.

Joanie

you are absolutely incredible Joanie :D:D:D thanks so much for all of your hard work:):)

We are looking at Rotterdam Deck, Cat J . Thanks:)

OK I think I have found staterooms that you are describing. They are also known amongst the CC boards as "Sideways" staterooms, I believe.

That being said, I have located a couple, but not on Deck 7- Rotterdam Deck.

If you go to : http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Nieuw_Amsterdam/Nieuw_Amsterdam-Compare-Stateroom-Decks.jpg You can see all the decks side by side.

Deck 1 has some J category staterooms that have no hallways whatsoever. The door appears to open directly into the stateroom (these are Box style and not the sideways or long staterooms)

Decks 4 has N, M and MM inside sideways staterooms.

Deck 5 has L category staterooms that are sideways.

Deck 6 has F, L and K (towards the front of the ship) that are sideways.

Deck 7 has no sideways staterooms

Deck 8 has 2 sideways J staterooms near the aft (rear) of the ship J 8159 and J 8165

That is all I can find on Nieuw Amsterdam's Deck Plans. I hope that helps a little better??

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie
Changed title

Mary, on the Eurodam, I took pictures of cabins 8145 and 8145, which show the bed to the left, no hallway as you mentioned.

If you go into Joanie's Eurodam photos, you will see what those cabins look like.

Hope this helps!

Mary, on the Eurodam, I took pictures of cabins 8145 and 8145, which show the bed to the left, no hallway as you mentioned.

If you go into Joanie's Eurodam photos, you will see what those cabins look like.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot. That is just the room type I have been looking for. Mary:)

Joanie - I emailed you pictures of K548 on the Ryndam. This is one of theose wonderful "sideways" cabins. We learned about these cabins from the future cruise consultant on the Zaandam a couple of years ago.

Your website has been FANTASTIC as we have prepared for our cruise on the Amsterdam this summer. Thank you for all your efforts!

Joanie,

Thanks so much for all of your work. HA is our favorite cruise line. We are contemplating a Dec. Caribbean cruise on the Niew Amsterdam. I know it will be very, very similar to Eurodam. We always book inside cabins because I seem to sleep better when no light is coming in. Anyway, the inside cabin photo and diagram on HA website depicts a room where you do not walk into a long hallway like you usually do with inside cabins. It shows the door kind of off to one side, and when you walk in there is a sofa opposite the bathroom and the closet is actually on the wall by the bed. I would like a room like that, but looking at the Eurodam's deckplans, I cannot tell which ones are configured that way. The sideway interior rooms have always intrigued me, but I've never stayed in one. I just am trying to stay away from the cabins where you walk into a hall with closets on one side and bathroom on other, then bed at the other end. Any info? Thanks. Mary

Thanks to Cruise Critic Members: Charles & Debbie, I now have photos of what a Sideways Stateroom looks like!!!! Their photos are on the Ryndam, so there will be differences amongst the other ships, but I do not expect the differences to be very great.

Here is the link to see Ryndam Stateroom K 548 on Deck 5: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Ryndam/index.html

Thank you so very much Charles & Debbie!!!

Joanie

Joanie - you do such an awesome job capturing all this info for everyone. Kudos to you. I just wish my work didn't block your site haha. Only can view it at home :-)

I have a question for the person that stayed in the AFT staterooms on the corner - how was the trip, seas wise? Does the back move a lot more? Rougher? Same as other parts? I've wondered how these ships ride, as I've only been on a much smaller ship.

When looking HAL ships (say vista class) what areas should people who can get queasy stay away from? Is it ALL of the front and back, or is it more stable from certain points inward? Just curious since you all have so much more cruising experience than me with my 1 :-)

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hi Joanie! Thanks again for all you do! Your thread has answered so many of my questions.

I have a request. Does anyone have any information about the Handicap Cabin on the Rotterdam or sister ships, especially cabin 7041. It looks like it is on/near the bump out and the window washer is there?

I'd appreciate any help you or someone could lend since we want to book it for the 30-night cruise in November.

Joanie - you do such an awesome job capturing all this info for everyone. Kudos to you. I just wish my work didn't block your site haha. Only can view it at home :-)

I have a question for the person that stayed in the AFT staterooms on the corner - how was the trip, seas wise? Does the back move a lot more? Rougher? Same as other parts? I've wondered how these ships ride, as I've only been on a much smaller ship.

When looking HAL ships (say vista class) what areas should people who can get queasy stay away from? Is it ALL of the front and back, or is it more stable from certain points inward? Just curious since you all have so much more cruising experience than me with my 1 :-)

Thanks!

Jennifer

Jennifer, if you are prone to being queasy, I would highly suggest a higher Deck and a more midship cabin which tends to have much less motion. The AFT cabins are nice in calm weather but can be more difficult to take during rough seas.

Jennifer, if you tend towards seasickness, I would recommend midship and lower decks, as the higher the deck you go, in rough seas it is much harder on you.

We were on deck 9 on the Grand Princess in a bad Mediterranean storm and it was the worst ever..we had friends on deck 11 and they suffered even more.

Regarding aft cabin: Eurodam 8175 was ours and we loved the wake etc. The waters were calm so we had no problems but we knew if the waters kicked up, we would have been more uncomfortable than others with lower cabins, aft or not.

Hope this info helps you with your decision.;)

Jennifer, if you tend towards seasickness, I would recommend midship and lower decks, as the higher the deck you go, in rough seas it is much harder on you.

We were on deck 9 on the Grand Princess in a bad Mediterranean storm and it was the worst ever..we had friends on deck 11 and they suffered even more.

Regarding aft cabin: Eurodam 8175 was ours and we loved the wake etc. The waters were calm so we had no problems but we knew if the waters kicked up, we would have been more uncomfortable than others with lower cabins, aft or not.

Hope this info helps you with your decision.;)

Thanks for the input :-) It's so hard to figure out where to even begin with booking this stuff. All the unknowns with the categories and whatnot. Wanting a good price would make me want to take the lowest in within the balcony categories and praying I luck out with some sort of upgrade. How does everyone ensure they get what they want? Just booking the exact room, or is it more of a gamble always?

Thanks for the input :-) It's so hard to figure out where to even begin with booking this stuff. All the unknowns with the categories and whatnot. Wanting a good price would make me want to take the lowest in within the balcony categories and praying I luck out with some sort of upgrade. How does everyone ensure they get what they want? Just booking the exact room, or is it more of a gamble always?

If I do not really care what stateroom in a specific category I want I go with a Guarantee. That means that I will not accept anthing less than that category but will consider accepting what HAL considers to be an upgrade to either a different location or higher category.

As an example our last cruise I booked us into a VF deck 5 Guarantee on the Westerdam. We were upgraded to a VA on Deck 8. Our 2nd cruise I booked us into a VF Guarantee and was lucky enough to be upgraded once to a VD and 10 days before our sail date was offered an up sell from the VD to an SA for $199.00 per person. I jumped on that!!! For our next cruise in November 2010 I booked us into an SY guarantee. I will accept an upgrade or up sell on it IF the location is right:), ESPECIALLY if I get the SY 5001 or SY 5002 stateroom assignment. BUT I have booked the least I will accept and if I do not receive an upgrade or up sell offer and am assigned the SY 5001 or 5002 stateroom, I will accept it because I booked it. Hope that last makes sense.

To gaurantee that you get what you want and not get upgraded to a stateroom that you may not be happy with (like I was) you should book a specific stateroom.

As an example our September 2011 cruise to Alaska I have booked a specific stateroom, SC 7142, and informed my HAL PCC NOT to upgrade me, NOT even for the Penthouse!! I want my specific Aft Wraparound stateroom and will accept no other for my next Alaska cruise.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Joannie, I've posted this question on the main Holland board, but would hope that someone has info about Cabin S-7041 on the Rottadam which is a handicap cabin. Certainly someone can provide some info???

Edited by tinkerme1

Hi, Joanie. I was looking at your website (which is really fabulous, by the way) and saw a photo for cabin # 7037 on the Eurodam that's labeled as "VA"; however, unless there's one REALLY spacious VA, it looks more like "SA" or some other suite (at least judging from what I could tell from other photos). Just thought I'd call that to your attention. Keep up the great work!

If I do not really care what stateroom in a specific category I want I go with a Guarantee. That means that I will not accept anthing less than that category but will consider accepting what HAL considers to be an upgrade to either a different location or higher category.

As an example our last cruise I booked us into a VF deck 5 Guarantee on the Westerdam. We were upgraded to a VA on Deck 8. Our 2nd cruise I booked us into a VF Guarantee and was lucky enough to be upgraded once to a VD and 10 days before our sail date was offered an up sell from the VD to an SA for $199.00 per person. I jumped on that!!! For our next cruise in November 2010 I booked us into an SY guarantee. I will accept an upgrade or up sell on it IF the location is right:), ESPECIALLY if I get the SY 5001 or SY 5002 stateroom assignment. BUT I have booked the least I will accept and if I do not receive an upgrade or up sell offer and am assigned the SY 5001 or 5002 stateroom, I will accept it because I booked it. Hope that last makes sense.

To gaurantee that you get what you want and not get upgraded to a stateroom that you may not be happy with (like I was) you should book a specific stateroom.

As an example our September 2011 cruise to Alaska I have booked a specific stateroom, SC 7142, and informed my HAL PCC NOT to upgrade me, NOT even for the Penthouse!! I want my specific Aft Wraparound stateroom and will accept no other for my next Alaska cruise.

Joanie

Joanie -

What you wrote makes perfect sense to me :-) I did determine my lowest guarantee as well, which I'm thinking is VF (though i really dont want VF on deck 4 as it's in the front AND over the theatre). I'm nervous about the noise and seasickness there.

Anyway...so I guess it really is all a luck thing :-) I'm wondering how far sold the cruise is that I'm hoping for. Hoping for a price drop when it hits 90 days soon, but I probably shouldn't count on it (nor wait too long to book if it does). This is all so tricky. Gotta get the timing right.

Ideally, I'd love a V cabin on deck 8 of the nieuw amsterdam haha. A girl can dream right? I want to be in the center of the boat, but not too center since the elevators are there, and want to have a balcony :-) I don't think that's too much to want right :-)

I'm just nervous that if i book the lowest category i'll accept, i'll end up with it when everyone else bumps up :-)

If you're offered a bump up do you have to take it? Meaning if they assigned me say, a VF in the middle of the ship on one deck and then moved me to a VA in the very front of another, could I ask to be left where I was due to motion sickness stuff, or is it expected that you just accept any "upgrade" to your room category? Also wondering what exactly the difference is between these categories besides the price. They appear to be the same rooms? So, why the huge price difference is it strictly based on location in the ship or something?

Jennifer

I always book my room and if they want to upgrade me they have to call. Those are my rules. Now I don't get any freebies, but i know where I am and if they want to upsell me, I will listen, but I have to accept.

A lot of people book guarantees, but there is no guarantee that you will be upgraded. It just depends upon how fussy you are for location. If you want a specific cabin type or a location then you need to choose and if you want to roll the dice, go ahead.

considering the cruise I am on is close to being sold out, I will be looking forward to hearing how many of the guarantees have been visited by the upgrade fairy :rolleyes: - not going to happen to many.

there is no right or wrong answer to this. You have to do what is right for you. there is no right or wrong answer

I always book my room and if they want to upgrade me they have to call. Those are my rules. Now I don't get any freebies, but i know where I am and if they want to upsell me, I will listen, but I have to accept.

A lot of people book guarantees, but there is no guarantee that you will be upgraded. It just depends upon how fussy you are for location. If you want a specific cabin type or a location then you need to choose and if you want to roll the dice, go ahead.

considering the cruise I am on is close to being sold out, I will be looking forward to hearing how many of the guarantees have been visited by the upgrade fairy :rolleyes: - not going to happen to many.

there is no right or wrong answer to this. You have to do what is right for you. there is no right or wrong answer

Kazu -

Doubtful for me too, because I'm looking at the Nieuw Amsterdam as well for the 10/6 leg. I'm not sure how close they are to selling out, but it's obviously in the back of my mind, since it's a great itinerary and a new ship.

Unfortunately that is causing the price to stay high, when you compare it to other lines. :( I might have to settle for the Noordam itinerary on the 8th instead. We'll see, I guess. :(

Kazu -

Doubtful for me too, because I'm looking at the Nieuw Amsterdam as well for the 10/6 leg. I'm not sure how close they are to selling out, but it's obviously in the back of my mind, since it's a great itinerary and a new ship.

Unfortunately that is causing the price to stay high, when you compare it to other lines. :( I might have to settle for the Noordam itinerary on the 8th instead. We'll see, I guess. :(

definitely look at the two and see what the difference is. We are on the 'second leg' and no question that the Nieuw Amsterdam was far superior. The new ship was the bonus part. We chose it for the itinerary.:):) Remember it's your cruise, choose what makes you happy

definitely look at the two and see what the difference is. We are on the 'second leg' and no question that the Nieuw Amsterdam was far superior. The new ship was the bonus part. We chose it for the itinerary.:):) Remember it's your cruise, choose what makes you happy

Does it really describe on the website what the difference is between the VE vs VF vs whatever? I've honestly not found anything that really deviated. I presume this is on the HAL site?

Oh wait i think i see what you mean. I notice a certain popular website will list the deck the room is on, and that deck seems to have different bed sizes or number of vanities in the bathroom, etc. Interesting.

:) Could you email that website,to me, please. You are probably not allowed to mention the site on these boards. My address is: sherrie6269@msn.com. Thanks ;)