LIVE from Fairbanks to Vancouver cruisetour 9/6/09

Pia1913

I am so glad someone understood me. princess in 2008 did not give us a cruise critic RC party we had our own on the Crown in Adigo. it seems that some of you had princess give you a CC RC party. as i said we had 50 people pre sail away for about 90 minutes.

I am so glad someone understood me. princess in 2008 did not give us a cruise critic RC party we had our own on the Crown in Adigo. it seems that some of you had princess give you a CC RC party. as i said we had 50 people pre sail away for about 90 minutes.

Sorry for the confusion. Princess always gives a CC (Captain's Circle) party and never give a CC (Cruise Critic) party. If you want a venue for cruise critic gathering it needs to be pre arranged.

People sometimes confuse Royal Carib M and G with Princess M and

G.

I just answered a whole fitness response and it disappeared. In summary, I don't use ellipticals but I think it's 4 or 5. Fitness center has been mostly empty; these passengers just spend their time eating. :rolleyes: Hasn't been a wait at all, early AM

I just answered a whole fitness response and it disappeared. In summary, I don't use ellipticals but I think it's 4 or 5. Fitness center has been mostly empty; these passengers just spend their time eating. :rolleyes: Hasn't been a wait at all, early AM

It's a beautiful sunny Sunday as we sail towards Vancouver. Seas are calm, and weather is still in the 40's.

Last night's entertainment featured performer Adrian Zmed (from the 70's) with a whole production show built around him in the Universe Lounge. He can still sing and dance, but gets winded way before the youngsters do. We were surprised to see something new and actually stayed until the end. One of us though took a nap, and it wasn't me.

This morning the up to 75% off (Princess needs to get rid of stuff) sale will take place in the Bordeaux. Yes, we will look.

I did not overlook mentioning our wonderful Aleutian Ballad experience, because I'd like Donna to tell you all about it. Suffice to say........don't miss it if you're coming to Ketchikan.

Catch you later. Time to go check out the "SALE."

Pia, just a little heads up if you aren't reading all the posts on the board. The FCC bookings have now changed as of September 17th where you will need two to both receive the shipboard credit. SO, while you are there, since I know you said you were out of FCC's, STOCK UP GIRL!

Thanks for the live reports, hope your weather warms up soon.

Edited by Toto2Kansas

Sounds like you've had a wonderful leg of your vacation so far, despite the not-feeling-100% at the beginning of the cruise. When you guys sail into Vancouver tomorrow, you'll will be greeted with wonderful weather. Hopefully the fog (we've had a couple of mornings) will stay away.

See you in a couple of days.

Pia, congrats on placing 2nd. Do you have another paperwieght to add to your collection?

I always go to the 75% off sales, mostly just to browse as I usually can't find anything to buy. Are they trying to get rid of a lot of the Alaska souvenirs? Funny thing....when we were on the Emerald TA last year, a lot of the 75% off were of Alaskan mugs, t-shirts etc. Nice but since I've never been to Alaska, it would have been weird bringing home souvenirs from there.

Enjoy Vancouver. We had a great day there in May...in the 70's. Hope you get that or warmer!

Sorry for the confusion. Princess always gives a CC (Captain's Circle) party and never give a CC (Cruise Critic) party. If you want a venue for cruise critic gathering it needs to be pre arranged.

People sometimes confuse Royal Carib M and G with Princess M and

G.

that is why we planned our own. i do ont jsut thought the rules changes. fro example the 5 to 7 drinks each night is new to me.

It's a beautiful sunny Sunday as we sail towards Vancouver. Seas are calm, and weather is still in the 40's.

Last night's entertainment featured performer Adrian Zmed (from the 70's) with a whole production show built around him in the Universe Lounge. He can still sing and dance, but gets winded way before the youngsters do. We were surprised to see something new and actually stayed until the end. One of us though took a nap, and it wasn't me. i knw his name and saw him on TV -glad to know he can still move.

This morning the up to 75% off (Princess needs to get rid of stuff) sale will take place in the Bordeaux. Yes, we will look.

I did not overlook mentioning our wonderful Aleutian Ballad experience, because I'd like Donna to tell you all about it. Suffice to say........don't miss it if you're coming to Ketchikan.

Catch you later. Time to go check out the "SALE."

I hit ine in 12 cruise to buy a magnet from the crown.

I will be waiting for Donna to psot as i need to find sometihng to do in ketchikan besdies totem poles and beer.:D

Pia, just a little heads up if you aren't reading all the posts on the board. The FCC bookings have now changed as of September 17th where you will need two to both receive the shipboard credit. SO, while you are there, since I know you said you were out of FCC's, STOCK UP GIRL!

Thanks for the live reports, hope your weather warms up soon.

To

Thanks Toto. We knew about it first day on board. I always used two per booking so for us nothing will change. I'm waiting for credit card to close in a few days and then I'll buy four.

Sounds like you've had a wonderful leg of your vacation so far, despite the not-feeling-100% at the beginning of the cruise. When you guys sail into Vancouver tomorrow, you'll will be greeted with wonderful weather. Hopefully the fog (we've had a couple of mornings) will stay away.

See you in a couple of days.

We are hoping to jump ship asap and catch the first Hop on Hop Off bus/trolley. Hope nothing interferes with our plans, because Mike and I have never been to Vancouver other than flying in/out.

Edited by Pia1913

Pia, congrats on placing 2nd. Do you have another paperwieght to add to your collection?

Yes, and I love it. :)

I always go to the 75% off sales, mostly just to browse as I usually can't find anything to buy. Are they trying to get rid of a lot of the Alaska souvenirs? Funny thing....when we were on the Emerald TA last year, a lot of the 75% off were of Alaskan mugs, t-shirts etc. Nice but since I've never been to Alaska, it would have been weird bringing home souvenirs from there.

This was the worst one ever. Couldn't manage to spend a dime.

Enjoy Vancouver. We had a great day there in May...in the 70's. Hope you get that or warmer!

Weather forecast says 69. Sure sounds better than 45.:D

that is why we planned our own. i do ont jsut thought the rules changes. fro example the 5 to 7 drinks each night is new to me.

I hit ine in 12 cruise to buy a magnet from the crown.

I will be waiting for Donna to psot as i need to find sometihng to do in ketchikan besdies totem poles and beer.:D

Buy the GATS book. The Ballad is great.

Pia, just wanted to take this opportunity to say so long and say again it was a pleasure to meet you and your hub. And also Donna and her hub!

We get off the Coral tomorrow morning in Vancouver.:( Will follow this thread all the way to Port Everglades after we get home next week. Tomorrow, we will be heading on down the coast and over to Reno, Nevada on Amtrak and then home to Kansas City.

Congrats again on placing 2nd! That was a fun evening. First time we have know any of the most traveled.:)

Edited by JWJs

Adrian Zmed? I haven't heard that name in a long time. Cassandra and I have been following you via webcam and live posts (our husbands get the reports) and are enjoying your cruise so far. Vancouver is very nice, especially with the Olympics coming up soon. Enjoy your few hours there.

Too funny! Thanks so much for checking it out.

As promised - the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen tour with the last of my minutes:

Ketchikan – weather was reasonable, with intermittent showers and occasional sunshine – got some good end of season buys on tee shirts and such in the morning, and in the afternoon, had a great tour with the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen – anyone who is a fan of the Discovery Channel “The Deadliest Catch” will likely remember the Aleutian Ballad as the ship that got hit with a rogue wave in the 2006 season and nearly capsized.

She has been retired from commercial fishing now and refitted to carry passengers for a really terrific tour that goes into an area controlled by one of the indigenous tribes with whom the company that owns the Ballad has a joint venture agreement. This allows the tour to set and raise crab pots showing many different varieties of crab and gear that are used during many different seasons without violating fish and game regulations because the area in which they run the tour is sovereign territory.

The ship’s central area, once used to stow crab pots and other equipment, has been roofed over, with stadium seating and heaters in the roof. Passengers are seated in a semi-circle around the rail where the guides – the Captain and two crewmen, assisted by two gals who do the gift shop and ticket taking principally – demonstrate various aspects of commercial fishing and talk about the life of a commercial fisherman. Pots are raised for King, Snow, Tanner, and Dungeness crab and the characteristics of each and how they are fished for are presented.

In addition, there is a stop at an area where eagles nest and they are tempted in to camera range with bits of fish. We were also fortunate enough to see a lingering humpback whale who surfaced near the boat a few times.

All the staff are articulate, funny, and very eager to share information with their visitors about the lifestyle of the commercial fishermen – the good and the bad, and it was all in all a really terrific day and a great tour. We even got sun towards the end and it was hard to believe we had been out there for three and a half hours.

The ship had moved up the departure time from 6 to ‘as soon as they could get everyone back from this tour’ and they had a bus waiting to take everyone back to the gangway. We left within minutes of everyone getting up the gangway.

Ketchikan – weather was reasonable, with intermittent showers and occasional sunshine – got some good end of season buys on tee shirts and such in the morning, and in the afternoon, had a great tour with the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen – anyone who is a fan of the Discovery Channel “The Deadliest Catch” will likely remember the Aleutian Ballad as the ship that got hit with a rogue wave in the 2006 season and nearly capsized.

She has been retired from commercial fishing now and refitted to carry passengers for a really terrific tour that goes into an area controlled by one of the indigenous tribes with whom the company that owns the Ballad has a joint venture agreement. This allows the tour to set and raise crab pots showing many different varieties of crab and gear that are used during many different seasons without violating fish and game regulations because the area in which they run the tour is sovereign territory.

The ship’s central area, once used to stow crab pots and other equipment, has been roofed over, with stadium seating and heaters in the roof. Passengers are seated in a semi-circle around the rail where the guides – the Captain and two crewmen, assisted by two gals who do the gift shop and ticket taking principally – demonstrate various aspects of commercial fishing and talk about the life of a commercial fisherman. Pots are raised for King, Snow, Tanner, and Dungeness crab and the characteristics of each and how they are fished for are presented.

In addition, there is a stop at an area where eagles nest and they are tempted in to camera range with bits of fish. We were also fortunate enough to see a lingering humpback whale who surfaced near the boat a few times.

All the staff are articulate, funny, and very eager to share information with their visitors about the lifestyle of the commercial fishermen – the good and the bad, and it was all in all a really terrific day and a great tour. We even got sun towards the end and it was hard to believe we had been out there for three and a half hours.

The ship had moved up the departure time from 6 to ‘as soon as they could get everyone back from this tour’ and they had a bus waiting to take everyone back to the gangway. We left within minutes of everyone getting up the gangway.

did you book direct or through the cruiseline?

Jimbo:)

did you book direct or through the cruiseline?

Jimbo:)

Since Donna ran out of minutes, I will answer for her. We purchased the GATS book and booked directly with them; 2 for 1. Princess charged $173/pp, they charged $169/PP. The book was $99. You do the arithmetic. We also used a 2fer on our ATV excursion and that was $95/PP. Bottom line; we saved a lot of $$$.

Donna thanks for using your minutes to tell us about the tour as it sounded great. Great enough that I'm putting it on my list for the next time we do Alaska.

Barb

Hi everyone, as Janet said we have loved reading your posts and are sad to see this portion end. But I am sure I will continue to read your posts on your further adventures......always good to learn info for possible future cruises! ;):D Although we have our next 2 picked that we want to do we could possibly be swayed...LOL. Glad you werent feeling icky the entire trip and sound tiring but loads of fun and we cant wait. As a matter of fact I just bought a formal for our Alaska cruise next year.....LOL. Have a fabulous time in Vancouver and keep up the great posts.:D