San Francisco-will we have time to tour Yosemite?

Ohio-C-Luver

We will be onboard RCCL Radiance a repo cruise from Alaska, and will be stopping in San Francisco for a partial 2 days. We dock at 10 am and then the ship sails the next day at 2 pm. Are there tours that can work in a trip to Yosemite? We realize it's 4hrs to and from the Park. Can you help with some reputable companies that you have used? Any and all help will be appreciated! :D

OH,

The tour company with which I am familiar is California Parlor Car Tours, www.calpartours.com BUT - their tours all leave early in the morning (6 or 7 AM) and return around 7 or 8 PM the next day.

You could drive, but I would not recommend that at all. Here's why:

It takes at least 4 hours each way to drive. So let's just say you could be off the ship and in your car by 11:00 AM. And let's also say you get out of San Francisco proper with minimal traffic.......

The soonest you would get there is 3 PM. This only gives you about 4 hours of daylight at that time of year. That's not enough time to see much, let alone really appreciate it. I mean, do you want to go there to say you've been to Yosemite or do you want to actually remember it?:D

Then - the next day, you would really need to leave very early to allow for any problems or delays getting back to the ship, so you really wouldn't be able to do any sightseeing that day either.

Unless the ship is offering a tour, I would save Yosemite for another trip and visit Napa or someplace closer this time.

I don't know of any flightseeing options, but that is probably the only thing I would try if I was determined to do Yosemite.

Have an awesome cruise!! Alaska is amazing!!!

I've done a couple over-ambitious adventures on vacations before and I have to say...I was sorry I made those choices. Now I only plan trips where we can be at our destination with no more than an hours drive each way.

If you haven't been to San Francisco before, there is so much to see and do right there. We were there for 3 days in April and barely scratched the surface of the city and would have loved a full week there. If you have been there before, there is always something new to do!

I did a day trip to Yosemite from San Fransico (business trip, not a cruise) and it was a LONG day. It was a great trip, but I would suggest waiting to do it on another trip.

If you want to get out of the city you can drive up to Napa & Sonoma. Very pretty and it is only about an hour (1 1/2 hour depending on where you're going) from Fisherman's Wharf.

Here is my nickels worth. I have traveled to SF about 9 times due to free airline tickets. We have done many day trips and many 2 to 3 day trips. Although Yosemite has some unreal points to see, my favorite trip is to Lake Tahoe which is also about 4 hours and Napa Valley. rent a car and go to Napa and drive through all the towns. It is a great day trip. In St. Helena there is a winery named V. Sattui. You can buy their wines there or online. As far as I know you cannot get it elsewhere. They have a deli and picnic tables outside to have your lunch at. We started going there when they bottled, corked, sealed and labeled by hand in a big circle.

It is a great trip out to the valley and you will enjoy it as it is different than most people are use to.

Make sure you make time for Chinatown. it is very unusual and should be seen.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip. We are doing the repo on the Serenade next week and also going to SF.

In St. Helena there is a winery named V. Sattui. You can buy their wines there or online. As far as I know you cannot get it elsewhere. They have a deli and picnic tables outside to have your lunch at. We started going there when they bottled, corked, sealed and labeled by hand in a big circle.

I loved the white wines at V. Sattui! They had a wonderful Reisling and Muscat... I wish I could reorder the wine without a 6 bottle minimum because I just don't drink often enough to justify the purchase.

i have to agree with the other posts;)

you could see napa , sonoma , petaluma , point reyes and the highway 1 shoreline to stinson beach then muir woods all in one big circular trip:cool:...although that will take up all your time easily

or of course , just enjoy san francisco:D

have a blast

dave

i agree with the other posters. it would an excessive amount of driving and a bit risky. i drive in bay area traffic on a regulat basis and it is known for it congestion and traffic jams. it only takes one small fender bender to turn a drive into a parking lot. i would stick closer to the bay area. there is tons to do there.

Archived